Author Topic: Microsoft to phase out MS Points  (Read 2693 times)

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
Microsoft to phase out MS Points
« on: January 25, 2012, 07:00:00 AM »
Microsoft to phase out Microsoft Points by end of the year - report
Transactions to be based on region set on purchasing account

Microsoft will phase out its Microsoft Points system by the end of the year, according to a new report.

The change will affect developers of apps for Windows Phone, the Zune Marketplace and Xbox Live, Inside Mobile Apps reports.

By the end of the year, according to the report, transactions will be based on the region set on the purchasing account, using real money.

Microsoft's current system sees gamers use real world cash to buy virtual currency - Microsoft Points - which are then used to buy games, movies and other products through the Xbox Marketplace.

Microsoft declined to comment on the report.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-25-xbox-360-to-retain-redeemable-codes-following-ms-points-phase-out

Offline BackupLight

• Last.fm: OutwardSix
  • XBL: BackupLight
Re: Microsoft to phase out MS Points
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 08:00:56 AM »
Sounds good. I can never remember how much these 800 point games are really costing me. Much better when you have a REAL currency attached.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
Since I always buy my MSP at a bulk discount, I never pay full price for anything on the XBL Marketplace.  If they do away with MSP, cheapskates like me won't be able to shop for good deals on MSP.    :'(

Just give users the option to purchase with MSP or actual currency.  Don't take away the MSP option.  >:(

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
  • Some people drink Pepsi, some people drink Coke...
    • Time Zone: GMT -07
  • PSN: ZeroEquals
  • Steam: ZeroEquals
  • XBL: ZeroEquals
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 11:16:09 AM »
Since I always buy my MSP at a bulk discount, I never pay full price for anything on the XBL Marketplace.  If they do away with MSP, cheapskates like me won't be able to shop for good deals on MSP.    :'(

Just give users the option to purchase with MSP or actual currency.  Don't take away the MSP option.  >:(

There should be an "opt-out" choice for this - I'm also assuming that if they actually do this, next in line would be the termination of the Rewards Program. Not that it's that much of a "reward-system" but it's nice to get something back once in a while.

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
  • Some people drink Pepsi, some people drink Coke...
    • Time Zone: GMT -07
  • PSN: ZeroEquals
  • Steam: ZeroEquals
  • XBL: ZeroEquals
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 01:23:34 AM »
Figured this is probably about the best place for this - if not, I'm sure Neato will find it a home ;)

Microsoft Points phased out in favor of cash in Windows 8

It's been a long time wish to have this seemingly arbitrary and confusing "funey muney" scheme which has primarily served to confuse and befuddle the consumer done away with. It looks like the first step in having this happen is taking place on the latest version of Windows [8].

As the image above displays, music and movies are going to be available for purchase with *gasp* - real money! :o  The change/feature is currently only known to be available through Windows 8, but here's to hoping MS Xbox 360 is soon to follow. Maybe as soon as the upcoming dashboard update??

Source: [The Verge]
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 02:10:56 PM by zerosum »

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 01:33:10 PM »
Figured this is probably about the best place for this - if not, I'm sure Neato will find it a home ;)

Found it.   ;)

Microsoft Points phased out in favor of cash in Windows 8

As I've mentioned before, I actually prefer virtual currency over real currency since a savvy shopper (i.e. me  8)) can buy Microsoft Points for far less than their cash value.  As long as I still have the option to use MSP, I welcome the addition to use actual currency.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 01:52:49 PM »

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 03:21:50 PM »
Microsoft Points to Remain Standard on 360

I'm happy with that, but I'm sure there are many people without calculators that are not.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 01:34:33 PM »
Microsoft Points to be Ditched Post-Next Xbox Reveal?

In what we're hoping will be the last damn rumour about the next Xbox, Microsoft could be gearing up to announce the demise of the Microsoft Points system following its next-generation reveal at the platform holder's HQ next week. It's thought that details could be unveiled at this year's E3 in June.

According to sources close to The Verge, Microsoft could be planning to adopt proper cash transactions and iTunes-style gift cards, as opposed to the old Points system, whereby you're forced to purchase the currency in bundles of 500, 800, 1000 and so on.

"The new system will work across Microsoft's various marketplaces, including the Windows Store, Windows Phone Store, and Xbox," the report notes. "We understand that Microsoft is planning to unveil the system as soon as E3, with a planned launch later this year in time for the next generation Xbox console."

There have been rumours in the past that Microsoft could ditch its Microsoft Points system, and to date nothing has materialised. Could the advent of a new console present and opportunity to kill off the old MSP? Would you prefer to keep the old Points system or would you rather pay with real money?

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 03:32:15 PM »
E3 2013: Microsoft Officially Confirms Ditching of MS Points System

Microsoft is ditching Microsoft Points for the Xbox One, doing away with the system after years of using it on Xbox 360 and Xbox Live.

During the platform holder’s press conference this evening, it was announced that the system would be ditched in favour of real money instead of bundles of points that had to be bought in denominations.

So, there you go.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 11:02:01 AM »
Microsoft details when and how it will phase out Microsoft Points
When to spend your points by and what happens to your existing balance.

Microsoft has confirmed its plans to retire the company's Microsoft Points currency system in favour of using real world money, a change that will take place later this year.

The actual switch-over will happen this autumn, Microsoft announced in a new FAQ, although you'll still be able to register existing Microsoft Points cards for a while longer - "through 2014 and for a limited time thereafter".

This autumn Microsoft will convert your existing Microsoft Points balance into your local currency, although an exact conversion is unclear.

As a guide, 800 MSP usually translates to £6.80, and 1200 MSP to £10.20.

"To make this a seamless and positive experience for our customers, we have considered many factors to ensure that the amount deposited in your Microsoft account will be of equal or greater marketplace value than your Microsoft Points," the company stated.

Pending Points from Xbox Live Rewards will also be added in bulk - it's unclear exactly what will happen to this service after the change.

Any Microsoft Points you deposit after the change will automatically be redeemed in local currency instead, although will expire a year after you deposited them.

You can still use a credit or debit card instead, of course, and will still be able to transition your Microsoft account between regions. But any currency in your account must be used in the region you bought it - so you can't exploit fluctuations in currency exchanges.

Microsoft will begin selling its new Xbox Gift Cards later this year, to be redeemed against anything bought through the company via its digital stores, including games, movies and Windows Phone apps.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 06:43:38 AM »
Report: Switch From Microsoft Points to Local Currency Increases the Price of Xbox Live Content

Microsoft is currently running an Xbox 360 update beta designed to test the upcoming switch from Microsoft Points to real currency.

However, according to some reports, the conversion rates employed by Microsoft are leaving some users short changed.

When those taking part in the beta attempt to buy new content over Xbox live all of their remaining MSP are immediately converted into local currency, without warning.

One of the problems with this is that if you have 1200 MSP and want to buy a 1200 MSP game, once those points are converted into real currency, you don’t have enough to actually buy the game.

Put simply, your MSP are worth less now.

Here’s a breakdown of the conversion rates:

1600 MSP games now cost £14.99; but 1600 MSP previously converted to around £13.33

1200 MSP games now cost £11.99, but 1200 MSP previously converted to around £10

800 MSP games now cost £8.99, but 800 MSP previously converted to around £6.66

400 MSP games now cost £4.49, but 400 MSP previously converted to around £3.33

Microsoft’s shift is bad news for those of us that shop around for cheap MSP, and especially bad news for those that have built up a large balance, which I know some of you have.

Bear in mind that this information is gleaned from a beta, so you never know it may change. Expect a response from Microsoft soon.

The MSP-killing update rolls out this autumn.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 07:36:11 AM »

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator