Author Topic: Issues with "savegames"....  (Read 1420 times)

Offline bslhonda

• Dr. Honda
  • Obey gravity: its the law!
    • Time Zone: GMT -03
  • Steam: bslhonda
  • XBL: Diracs Delta
Issues with "savegames"....
« on: November 22, 2011, 07:55:07 AM »
Hi. I'm having some issues with some of my saved games - they're gone!

Its the second time it happens, I took my Xbox to a friends house (both times) and when I return home there's no more saved games in GOW1, Halo 3 and SSF4AE.

The first time I've lost all GOW 1 campaign, and all my Street Fighter "trials" and stuff. The second time I've lost my GOW1 AGAIN and now Halo 3. All the achievs stands, but the main game's progress was lost.

Is it normal? Should I do something I didn't (like remove the HD before moving it), or else? A noob Q: with the so-called cloud profile, I will be able to avoid this by saving my progress and GS in the cloud?

Its too annoying to loose the progress, mainly with Halo 3, I didn't like the game and was playing just for cheevos (its a borrowed one), now i need the guts to start it all over again :(

Cheers!

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
Re: Issues with "savegames"....
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 11:22:58 AM »
Some games store all save data locally on your console.  But some multiplayer focused games that track stats (Halo, GOW, etc.) use a sort of local/cloud hybrid save system that confuses the crap out of me, and causes lots of problems for mobile gamers.

There are files on your HDD/flashdrive that save some game info.  Then other game info is linked directly to your online profile.  If anything in that equation is upset, you'll sometimes loose some or all of your progress.

When I used to play GOW & Halo at friends houses, I would copy my entire game folder (System > Storage > All Devices > "Game Folder") to my 8GB flashdrive, along with my online profile.  If you try to pick & choose which files you move to your flashdrive, you're likely to choose wrong, or possibly miss an important hidden file.

Offline bslhonda

• Dr. Honda
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 01:40:31 PM »
Humm, I see.

The fact I've lost my saved games is puzzling me because it happened twice, just when I physically moved my console from my home to my friend's. I dunno if it happens due to HD not being strongly mounted to the system (kinda loose), or due to some mechanical stress in connection betwen HD and console, or its just "coincidence" :(

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 02:38:26 PM »
doubt it, i move my HDD every day from home to work and back, for about 3-4 years now. I think they're well built

Offline bslhonda

• Dr. Honda
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 06:40:28 AM »
Oh, I see.

I want to do some test, removing the HD before moving whole console. But I'm too afraid to lose everything again...

Thanks anyway!

Offline BackupLight

• Last.fm: OutwardSix
  • XBL: BackupLight
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 01:18:15 PM »
Cloud Storage: Coming soon. Problem solved. :)

Offline bslhonda

• Dr. Honda
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 01:54:21 PM »
Yes, I think its wiser to wait to the Cloud Storage first before migrate my profile to another source (like a pendrive).

I'm kinda annoyed with backups, and its a hell when you don't have all control of it...I mean, I didnt expect to lose my SG just moving my console to a location to another. I almost bought a dedicate pendrive for backup, but as I said, I'll wait for cloud storage feature to see how it works, then I'll decide what to do...

Offline BackupLight

• Last.fm: OutwardSix
  • XBL: BackupLight
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 02:30:17 PM »
Yeah, I can imagine being very pissy if my saves all disappeared just from moving my HDD. I can only imagine there's a loose connection somewhere that's wiping it.

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads