Author Topic: The One-Trillion-Bits-Per-Second Chip is Here!  (Read 1226 times)

Offline donnieoneshot

• Children of the night. What music they make.
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: donnieoneshot
  • XBL: donnieoneshot
The One-Trillion-Bits-Per-Second Chip is Here!
« on: March 09, 2012, 01:42:36 PM »
The high data loads of the future--and even the present--require that optical communications platforms continue to get faster, leaner, and cheaper. At the Optical Fiber Communication Conference in Los Angeles today, IBM will report on a prototype optical chip it has developed that has hit a significant milestone in optical data transfer: one terabit--that’s one trillion bits--per second.
That’s like downloading 500 HD movies at once, a speed matching the bandwidth consumed by 100,000 users at today’s average high-speed Web rates. It’s important to note that this a parallel optics chip technology, not a long-range fiber optic serial communications technology, so it’s not going to instantaneously boost the speed at which data traverses the oceans. But between computers on a local network (between different servers in a data center, for instance) this technology could provide some pretty searing speeds.

The chip itself gets its name from the fact that there are 48 tiny holes bored through a standard silicon CMOS chip that connects on the back side with 24 receiver and 24 transmitter channels. These channels allow a whole lot of data to move through the chip in both directions simultaneously, allowing for these terabit-per-second transfer speeds.

What’s more, in proper IBM fashion the chip isn’t some kind of behind-the-glass prototype never destined for commercial production. The company claims it achieves these record data speeds with excellent power efficiency--that a 100-watt light bulb could power 20 of the optical modules. They are also constructed from off-the-shelf, commercially available components. But there’s no word yet on when, exactly, this manufacturer-friendly optical device might begin taking advantage of those economies of scale and deliver the next-generation of cloud computing and data center technologies.

[/url]

Offline MacheteMable

• PSN: MacheteMable
  • Steam: MacheteMable
  • XBL: Machete Mable
Re: The One-Trillion-Bits-Per-Second Chip is Here!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 02:08:49 AM »
If i had a bit for everytime i hea...................

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
Re: The One-Trillion-Bits-Per-Second Chip is Here!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 10:26:10 AM »
If i had a bit for everytime i hea...................

lol

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads