Author Topic: XBOX red ring  (Read 3071 times)

Offline dtrinib

• dtrinib = The Trini Boy!
    • Time Zone: GMT -04
  • OnLive: ME BULK
  • PSN: dtrinib
  • Steam: dtrinib
  • XBL: ME BULK
XBOX red ring
« on: September 26, 2012, 09:40:39 AM »
After four years of using my xbox I got the bottom right quadrant go red and the error code of E74. Has anyone experiences this?

I know it's not the HDMI or AV cables because i tried different ones.
I Googled how to fix it because i'm outside of the 3yr microsoft warranty, and i found videos showing me how to remove the heat sink and replacing it or buying a new set of X-clamps and replacing them. Has anyone ever done this before?

I bet this was all due to me downloaded minecraft. I decided to try something new and different and this is what happens the next day I started playing.

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
  • Some people drink Pepsi, some people drink Coke...
    • Time Zone: GMT -07
  • PSN: ZeroEquals
  • Steam: ZeroEquals
  • XBL: ZeroEquals
Re: XBOX red ring
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 12:47:30 PM »
Have you made sure it's not still under warranty? I remember Microsoft extended the warranty for some consoles (specifically for the RROD) problem, which it sounds you have. I'd check that before attempting to crack open the box, just to be safe.

Offline dtrinib

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 03:03:37 PM »
Have you made sure it's not still under warranty? I remember Microsoft extended the warranty for some consoles (specifically for the RROD) problem, which it sounds you have. I'd check that before attempting to crack open the box, just to be safe.

Ya I check I'd have to pay over $100 for the fix plus be out of an xbox for about a month. So I went ahead and cracked it open last night. Now I just need to make time to get to the dirty part.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 02:01:19 PM »
A few years ago I fixed my sister's console with THIS KIT and following THIS TUTORIAL.  Still works today.   :)

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
  • Some people drink Pepsi, some people drink Coke...
  • PSN: ZeroEquals
  • Steam: ZeroEquals
  • XBL: ZeroEquals
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 03:06:38 PM »
A few years ago I fixed my sister's console with THIS KIT and following THIS TUTORIAL.  Still works today.   :)

I have an old, out of warranty, split open Elite 360 that RROD'd sitting around somewhere. Might have to give that a shot. 

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 04:29:58 PM »

I have an old, out of warranty, split open Elite 360 that RROD'd sitting around somewhere. Might have to give that a shot.

My final cost came to roughly $4 and 2 hours of my time.  No a bad alternative to $100 and 1 month. 

Offline dtrinib

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 01:45:17 AM »

Thanks! I'm going to give this a try and I'll let you know how it goes! Didn't realize how much i used my xbox until this and I was just about to try something different (Minecraft)

Offline dtrinib

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 01:46:42 AM »

I'll let you know after i try this fix!

Offline dtrinib

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 03:04:59 PM »
Ok I'm back in service! Got it fixed. I didn't want to have to buy a new one. I heard there's a new version coming out in 2014 so if this lasts for another year I'll be happy.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 12:36:16 PM »
Nice.

I'm actually plotting another fix in the near future, as soon as I find the time.  I got an old clunker that I hope to repair & give to my ladyfriend so I can spend more "quality time" at her place.   8)

Offline dtrinib

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 02:25:38 PM »
Nice.

I'm actually plotting another fix in the near future, as soon as I find the time.  I got an old clunker that I hope to repair & give to my ladyfriend so I can spend more "quality time" at her place.   8)

I like the way you think! I can get my wife to watch me play games that have a good story. She's into the COD series I sorta forced her to like it by talking about it all the time. She loves Uncharted and Assassins Creed. Do you have any game that you've play with similar story lines or good plots that grabs your attention? It doesn't have to be xbox only I've got PS3 as well.

Thanks

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 03:51:23 PM »
Nice.

I like the way you think! I can get my wife to watch me play games that have a good story. She's into the COD series I sorta forced her to like it by talking about it all the time. She loves Uncharted and Assassins Creed. Do you have any game that you've play with similar story lines or good plots that grabs your attention? It doesn't have to be xbox only I've got PS3 as well.

Thanks

From the feedback I've received, I'd recommend the following for spectator gaming.
Red Dead Redemption
LA Noire
Heavy Rain (PS3)
Mass Effect series
Kane & Lynch series
BioShock series
Dragon Age series
Portal series
Limbo
Splinter Cell: Conviction

Depending on the spectator's sense of humor and sensitivity, Shadows of the Damned and the Saints Row series can be a big hit or flop.  Consider your audience.

The following are some games that I thought would have been good spectator games, but turns out not to be.
Batman Arkham series
Fable series
Borderlands series
Elder Scrolls series
I think because there's too much downtime between story & cutscenes, the viewer loses interest.

Offline dtrinib

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 04:01:13 PM »
Nice.

Thanks

From the feedback I've received, I'd recommend the following for spectator gaming.
Red Dead Redemption
LA Noire
Heavy Rain (PS3)
Mass Effect series
Kane & Lynch series
BioShock series
Dragon Age series
Portal series
Limbo
Splinter Cell: Conviction

Depending on the spectator's sense of humor and sensitivity, Shadows of the Damned and the Saints Row series can be a big hit or flop.  Consider your audience.

The following are some games that I thought would have been good spectator games, but turns out not to be.
Batman Arkham series
Fable series
Borderlands series
Elder Scrolls series
I think because there's too much downtime between story & cutscenes, the viewer loses interest.

Thanks. I'll check those out.

Offline Dankinia

• Super Dooper Member
  • Queen of Assists a.k.a the bait
  • Steam: Dankinia
  • XBL: Dankinia
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 02:16:26 PM »
Speaking from the point of view of s sometime spectator....most of Neato's recommendations are good, but I actually enjoy watching the Halo games.  Not just the campaign, but the multiplayer too.  One of these days I might actually learn a few tricks while watching other people play. 

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads