Linked Events

• Kane & Lynch 2 (US) : August 17, 2010
  • Kane & Lynch 2 (UK): August 20, 2010

Author Topic: Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days  (Read 2913 times)

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
Re: Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2010, 07:26:48 PM »
Kane & Lynch 2 review - 9/10 in OXM
First review of IO Interactive's sequel gives thumbs up

The UK Official Xbox Magazine has published its Kane & Lynch 2 review - and given the sequel a seductive 9/10.

The mag's whopping six-page review, which indicates that the sequel is a huge step up from the first Kane & Lynch, kicks off by praising Dog Days' audio.

The game comes without a musical score, which means 'an ungodly amount of time and effort has been spent solely on the ambient noises of Shanghai', says OXM.

So impressed is OXM with the title's sounds, it says the audio "surpasses even Dead Space in its craftsmanship". Praise indeed.

"Yeah, yeah," we hear you cry, "but how does it play?"

Very nicely, as it turns out. OXM's Kane & Lynch 2 review reads: 'The no-expense-spared attitude to audio is found in everything, from voice acting to writing, to visuals, to the shooting, to the level design, to the multiplayer to the beautiful main menu.'

The story is praised for not 'force-feeding you plot', but comes with a warning that there's 'some genuinely disturbing stuff in Dog Days'. Not for the kids, then.

It plays 'faster than Gears Of War' - and that's not the last comparison to Epic's series. OXM calls Kane & Lynch 2 a game 'with less room for thought than Gears, but one containing more moments of rigid panic'.

Co-op is solid and - unlike the first game - is playable over Xbox Live, something OXM calls 'massively important'.

The mag knocks off that magic point because of the final third which it says veers into the 'ridiculous', and there are some gripes about 'slippiness in the way that characters animate and attach themselves to cover'

Overall, though, the 'stunningly detailed levels', 'great shooting' and 'gorgeous audio' are more than enough to make Kane & Lynch 2 a bit special.

The full six-page review is in OXM issue 63, which is with subscibers now and out in shops this week.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2010, 07:42:17 PM »

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2010, 07:51:10 PM »
Wow.  Didn't see that coming.

Dammit.  Now I have another game to add to my 'never get around to playing it' playlist.

Offline kewlazice

• Why just be cool,when you could be kewlazice:)
  • XBL: ExcaliburGuard
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2010, 10:42:43 PM »
I finally played the demo, and yeah well everything he just said that they said is pretty much true, the mp is OMG awesomeness on a corndog stick

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2010, 11:17:50 PM »
awesomeness on a corndog stick

:D  Thanks for that.

DFUSIONITE

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2010, 09:20:44 AM »
I am very surprised by that score, I downloaded the demo the other day, looks like i'm gonna have to actually try it now.

Offline Handshakes

• Super Dooper Member
  • Now with almost no cannibalism!
    • Conservative Gamer Bloke - My Blog
  • Last.fm: Hndshks
  • OnLive: Handshakes
  • PSN: ShakesyJ
  • Steam: handshakes
  • XBL: Handshakes
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2010, 10:24:41 AM »
The shooting didn't seem all that great in the demo. The guns don't feel tight at all, but maybe that is just the trend anyway these days (GoW does it, and I still like it so whatevs).

But everything else was top notch.
Your mom!

markav

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2010, 09:28:43 AM »
Not a great review on IGN 7/10
Not sure if i would play this for long :-\

DFUSIONITE

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2010, 10:30:13 AM »
I played the demo and i didn't much care for it. The shooting feels loose as handshakes pointed out, I'm not sure if i like the graphical style and the disturbing moments were, well a bit TOO disturbing for my tastes. I can see why people would like it though but i wouldn't trust OXM's review anyway, they are known for giving massive scores to games that aren't that good and giving low scores to games that are excellent.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2010, 10:40:14 AM »
I played the demo and i didn't much care for it. The shooting feels loose as handshakes pointed out, I'm not sure if i like the graphical style and the disturbing moments were, well a bit TOO disturbing for my tastes. I can see why people would like it though but i wouldn't trust OXM's review anyway, they are known for giving massive scores to games that aren't that good and giving low scores to games that are excellent.

Over the past few years, I have agreed with G4TV's game reviews more so than any others.  But it's really all objective, so it's hard to say one review is "better" than another.  The key is just finding a reviewer that has similar tastes to your own.

Offline Handshakes

• Super Dooper Member
  • Now with almost no cannibalism!
    • Conservative Gamer Bloke - My Blog
  • Last.fm: Hndshks
  • OnLive: Handshakes
  • PSN: ShakesyJ
  • Steam: handshakes
  • XBL: Handshakes
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2010, 10:45:43 AM »
Over the past few years, I have agreed with G4TV's game reviews more so than any others.  But it's really all objective, so it's hard to say one review is "better" than another.  The key is just finding a reviewer that has similar tastes to your own.

I just use Metacritic and read the top couple reviews along with the bottom couple reviews. I used to have some loyalty to Gamespy, but gaming journalism is crap anymore.
Your mom!

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads