Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIII  (Read 3495 times)

Offline KoreRupt

• DJ ZeroCore - Hardcore Music.
Final Fantasy XIII
« on: April 13, 2010, 10:36:03 AM »
Oh Yes,  Back again to give you guys another review.  I know all my reviews are crap though and you dont really want another but Ill give you one anyway  ;)

So here goes.  My most anticipated game since GTAIV.  Waited like 10 Years for this game.  As I dont class 12 as a final fantasy game (cause it was that bad, yes that bad.)  and 11 was a MMO (which I enjoyed but its just not the same!).

Anyway so I picked up this game on the day of release.. after hearing many people complaining about the linear starting progression through the story and that It only opens up around the third disc.  This is true, but the reason is within the storyline itself.  I do miss the days of traveling the globe in FF7,8 & 9.  But honestly this has if anything increased the story emotion and keeps you engaged on a cinematic experience. 

Talking about the experience this is by far the best Battle system I have ever encountered since the old days of Turn Based Combat in RPG's.  Now you only control one charecter but this is good because it keeps the fast (very frigging fast) paced battles going.  The AI for the most part is very solid too.  (Unless you want that bastard hope to cure you.) 

More on the battle system is how you change jobs later on in the game. (Chapter 3+ I believe).  Where you use the Para system (eg. Updated dress sphere system from FFX-2),  This is very good as you can swap each members jobs on the fly, for example you just staggered the enemy and you want to go onto full assault you swap to two commando's.

(Dont reply yet)

Honour, Respect, Loyalty.

Offline KoreRupt

Re: Final Fantasy XIII
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 10:44:24 AM »
Not only that but later on in the game this system adds even more depth and tactics to even simple battles.  Be it fighting for your life or a stroll to get some CP.  Taking too much damage?  Whip out a sentinal.  Instantly.  Main point - Best Battle System EVER.

Oh as I mentioned the main bit about the game involved Staggering your enemies.  Now this involves boosting a chain gauge and when its full you get a MASSIVE damage increase.  Again this adds to the great battle system and gives you a goal for each fight.  This leads to battle ratings too out of 5 stars.  If you get a 5 star rating it also increases the drop rate of items on enemies!!

Onto how you level up.  Now gone is the experience points of old RPG's and replaces it is the FFX level up systems big brother.  You go round a crystal board and pick what you want.  For example want more health?  Pick the health orb.  Simple!  At first though the options seem limited and upto about chapter 10 you should have no problem maxing out each time.  After it gets better though!  Something to look forward to.

Now ive mentioned alot about some improvements.  But another one I believe (yes im a hardcore FF fan) is the fact if you die accidently to a monster you can now "Retry" which puts you conveniently infront of the monster without engaging it.  This kills off the old "Oh my fucking god I didnt save for 3 hours" that many old fans (me included) suffered.

Another cool thing is that during the course of the game you upgrade your weapons.  So you could finish the game with an upgraded version of the first ever weapon you got in the game if you so wished!  Same goes for accessiories too.  Also you can dismantle items and get other items from them.  A great item to dismantle (once its a star) is a Tetredric Tiara.  As it gives the awesome Auto-Haste Shoes.

(No reply!!)

Offline KoreRupt

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 10:52:02 AM »
Another thing to mention is how each charecter in the game feels real.  Like they have personalities that you probably have a friend with.  An example of this is emo Hope.  Or "Wannabe hero" Snow.  This gives you something to relate to during the game and makes it feel more real and emotional. 

As always the game is a cinematic joy to watch, rivaling most films for CGI quality.  At one point I thought I was watching Star Wars with the jet fights going on!  Some truely Epic cutscenes though.

To help some of your doubts about length too I myself have played it for about 68 Hours.  Finished the main story line sure.  But ive only just been able to TRY to kill some of the monsters in the game on the later areas.  Such as the "Hunt" enemies.  Speaking of which a major side quest in the game is "Hunt" targets.  Given by statues in the game you go and fight these creatures ranging from crappy little things to the hardest on the game.  Each with their own rewards.

Graphics : 10 Out of 10 Some of the best graphics by far on the 360.
Sound    : 9 Out of 10  Lacks the awesomeness of past FF titles.
Longativity: 9 Out of 10  Will last you easy 100 hours to fully complete.
Overall: 9.7 Out of 10  One of the truely epic RPG games of this generation. With the best ever battle system. A RPG fan would be stupid to miss out on this.

Ps. For any tips or advice on the game please feel free to ask me on this thread or on xbox via messege.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 10:54:01 AM »
Good review mate, i'm not a massive RPG fan so i'm happy to wait until I play this.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 10:59:53 AM »
Great review, Kore!

Playing FFXIII, no wonder you've been m.i.a.   ;)

I have heard a lot of mixed reviews for this game.  It's been hard to weed out the fanboy loyalists from the objective opinions.  It's good to see a solid review from an opinion I trust.   

Offline KoreRupt

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 11:01:56 AM »
I guess I could be classed as a fanboy.  But Honestly I liked Lost Oddyssy More than this.  But that being said LO is my fave RPG of this generation.  But FFXIII is still awesome.  :)

Offline TaraJayne

• Way Beyond Awesome
  • Twitter: TaraJayne360
  • Last.fm: TaraJayne360
  • XBL: TaraJayne
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 11:10:19 AM »
Awesom review. I will put it on the front page later. I love Final Fantasy 13
Can't wait for Shenmue 3

I hate jokes that rely on visual imagery.

I've had it right up to here with them.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 11:13:47 AM »
I guess I could be classed as a fanboy.  But Honestly I liked Lost Oddyssy More than this.  But that being said LO is my fave RPG of this generation.  But FFXIII is still awesome.  :)

Lost Odyssey was awesome and I have a feeling i'll like it more than FFXIII when I finally get around to playing it.

Offline KoreRupt

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 11:19:54 AM »
Plus it wasnt only FF13 that kept me busy.. other awesome games came out too like Bioshock 2 etc :O  and was pretty ill for like 2weeks :(

Remember too if you need any advice/tips/help with FF13 send me a msg or reply here.  Or voice chat me on 360.  :)

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 12:32:01 PM »
The games super fast compared to other RPG's and Very Hard compared to other FF's (except 3).

They could do with Auto-Battle being assigned to a button so i can just press it, instead of selecting auto when fighting easy mobs. Also in-battle options to make either your group attack freely, focus attacks etc

Stories amazing but a little hard to keep grasp of, it's good they added the Intel section where you can read up on all the Lore.

I'm currently working on the sub-quest Mark missions.

It's not the best FF, but it's still very good.

Best to Worst: 12,7,10,13,8,9 ............ (the others)....................... X-2 :P

Offline Lukehi

• Forum Moderator
  • Super Dooper Member
  • Elle <3 Jacob
  • Last.fm: Lukehi
  • XBL: Lukehi
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 12:41:03 PM »

QFT.

ps. Still got FF and Dragon Age in their wrappers!!

Putting the "stud" back in Bible Study

Offline Maibs

• PSN: Maibs
  • Steam: Maibs
  • XBL: xXMaibXx
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 12:51:10 PM »
Best to Worst: 12,7,10,13,8,9 ............ (the others)....................... X-2 :P

Best to Worst: 8,7,12,13,9,10................................................... X-2

Blew through it within a couple of days, was enjoyable, picked up more towards to end.
Need to go back and finish up a few missions but havent had urge to do it, like i have with other FF's (Played FF8=250+ Hours, FF7=100+ Hours)

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 01:01:37 PM »
FF7 5 times with 60-100h each
FF8 twice with 180h combined
FF9 once 50h
FF10 twice 200h ish
FF10-2 1 and a half - 70h
FF12 once 150h

FF13 is currently on 55h with far too much left to do

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 01:57:21 PM »

lol

Does "(the others)" include Tactics, Crystal Chronicles and Dissidia?

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 06:50:33 AM »
yeh Origins, Antholgy, 6, 3 on DS, anything with the world Crystal in :P Final Fantasy Adventure on the Original gameboy :D

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads