Linked Events

• Halo: Reach (UK): September 14, 2010
  • Halo: Reach (US): September 14, 2010

Author Topic: Halo: Reach  (Read 22225 times)

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
Halo: Reach
« on: November 18, 2009, 04:42:09 PM »
Halo: Reach To Premiere At Spike VGA Awards

GameTrailers TV host and extreme Twitter enthusiast Geoff Keighley has announced that the world premier for Halo: Reach will be aired during the 2009 Spike Video Game Awards.

Voting is now open for Spike's 2009 VGAs, with 28 categories awaiting your input to help determine this year's winners, though according to a Keighley tweet, Halo fans are already winners. The latest installment in the Halo saga, Halo: Reach, will be premiering during the show, giving fans their first look at the game since the rather vague E3 2009 teaser video.

The 2009 Spike VGAs will air live on December 12th at 8PM.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 07:38:38 AM by GamerMan316 »

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
Re: Halo: Reach
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 09:06:18 AM »
Interesting.

I always tell myself to not waste my time watching award shows, but they always end up drawing me in with some kind of hook.  This year, the hook is Halo Reach.   ;)

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 07:10:08 AM »
Bungie Tweets: our cinematics run real time in our game engine, they're not outsourced CG

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 07:23:22 PM »
Halo: Reach premiere at VGAs will be actual gameplay, says Keighley

To clear up any misconceptions with "the kids on Twitter," Spike Video Game Awards host Geoff Keighley took to Major Nelson's podcast this weekend and explained that the Halo: Reach trailer on next week's show will be "actual gameplay." That's right, folks: none of that live-action or CG mumbo jumbo. "You'll get a first glimpse at the world of Reach," Keighley told the Major during this week's show. "I think it's going to be the biggest game next year by far."

When addressing the contents of the trailer -- something Keighley claimed to have not seen just yet -- he noted that he thinks people will be shocked by the direction than Bungie is taking, calling it a "huge leap forward." So, Mr. Keighley, it could be said that the studio is reaching new ground then?

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 07:41:15 AM »
ODSTs to return in Halo: Reach?

Bungie is still keeping quiet about plans for Halo: Reach, but has hinted that Halo 3: ODST's Orbital Drop Shock Troopers may return.

"It would be a shame if we made a game about the planet Reach - a place where Buck, the ODST's squad leader, was known to be - and not have him appear in some way, shape or form," Halo 3: ODST's writer and creative director Joseph Staten told G4.

Elsewhere in the same interview, Staten also said that there are still "smaller treats" that people haven't uncovered in ODST itself. "Folks looking forward to Halo: Reach would be wise to pay particular attention to the licence plates on New Mombasa's 'Genet' coupes," he noted.

So far all we really know about Halo: Reach is that it takes place around the time the colony Reach is attacked by Covenant, a period during which a number of Spartan-IIs - i.e. Master Chief-style supersoldiers - are active on the planet.

We also know to expect some form of beta next year prior to release, to which Halo 3: ODST buyers are guaranteed access. Bungie has yet to say what kind of beta that will be, however, despite occasional murmurings that Firefight may return.

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 01:35:24 PM »
YAYA! Halo .... woooooooo! Can't wait, what ever it is, unless ofcourse it's an RTS ... then i can wait!

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 06:31:41 AM »
What if Halo: Reach was Free?

What if, instead of shipping a $60 retail game, Microsoft and Bungie gave Halo: Reach away for free? What if, instead of shooting for a multi-million seller that makes millions more through downloadable expansions, Microsoft bet big on free-to-play gaming and its micro transaction business model? What if you didn't have to pay a dime to play Halo: Reach?

I'm not the first person to pose these questions, and the way free social gaming has been going on Facebook I doubt I'll be the last. The traditional way of thinking says that Microsoft would have to be crazy to give its flagship product away for free and hope upon hope that the profits still roll in. It's becoming quite apparent, though, that the traditional way of thinking isn't necessarily the best in all situations. Electronic Arts recently doubled down on the social gaming market by acquiring Facebook game maker Playfish for over $300 million. Zynga, the maker of Mafia Wars and FarmVille, boasts 100 million unique users and 1 million microtransaction purchases every month. So again I'll ask: What if Halo: Reach was free?

The business model has already been defined, it is only a matter of Microsoft and Bungie following the new playbook. Here's how it would work: Microsoft gives every Xbox Live Gold Member a free copy of Halo: Reach. It contains the full suite of tried and true Bungie matchmaking playlists with a good assortment of game types. In other words, it would look and feel exactly how you expect Halo to. Instead of coming with a couple of dozen maps, instead it comes with just a few -- kind of like Battlefield 1943 on the Xbox Live Arcade. Millions play it. Most players get hooked. Some tell their friends who in turn tell more and soon you have a community that might not rival that of FarmVille, but is quite sizeable nonetheless.

The business side of things comes through microtransactions. You get the game for free, but if you want more maps or goodies then you'll have to dish out a few extra bucks for each one. It really isn't any different from the current model aside from the fact that you start off with less. Not everybody would buy the maps, but the potential customer base is much larger than traditional models. Toss in a few loading screen ads and you've got yourself a business.

how much would you pay for flaming armour?

The crazy part is that Bungie has already set up its fan base in a way that it would absolutely devour such content. How much would you pay for flaming recon armor? If everyone could buy it maybe it would lose some value, so perhaps Bungie only sells a limited but monetarily significant number of each special type of armor. The same process could be repeated across each weapon and suddenly you have an army of premium and limited content that would "sell out" in seconds. And there's nothing that would stop Bungie from creating new limited edition skins or weapon models on a regular basis. Provided nothing changes the balancing in the game, nobody would get up in arms. If you don't want it, don't buy it. But let's be fair, some of you would want it.

At the time being, giving Halo: Reach away might be a pretty big gamble, but its one that could flip the entire industry on its head. Fortune favors the bold, and its hard to think of a bolder move that a videogame publisher could make. Could any other first-person shooter -- save for perhaps mega-franchises like Call of Duty -- survive financially at full price when the consumer has the option of Halo for free?

It's just a theoretical question, but what if?

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 11:06:21 AM »

Offline sambo

• Greatness Personified
  • No cuts, no buts, no coconuts?
  • Last.fm: sambomaher
  • XBL: ox SAMBO xo
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 01:50:22 PM »
Could be a money spinner. There are enough Halo fans who would snap up the extra content.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 06:17:46 AM »
Halo Reach gameplay premieres with multiple Spartans (and some ladies!)

As promised, Spike's 2009 Video Game Awards delivered the first footage (in-game, 'natch) of Halo Reach to the masses. More Spartans? Check! Female Spartans? Check check! A skullfaced Spartan? Wait ... what?! Since the show just aired, we've got a low-res version of the trailer for you after the break and will have a prettied up version as soon as it's available.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=harHcCZmzmk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=harHcCZmzmk</a>

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 01:05:27 PM »
i want it NOW!!!

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 01:43:41 PM »
i want it NOW!!!

well you'll have to wait  :)

Offline Lukehi

• Forum Moderator
  • Super Dooper Member
  • Elle <3 Jacob
  • Last.fm: Lukehi
  • XBL: Lukehi
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 02:02:20 PM »
I agree with Failed...I want it now-er

Putting the "stud" back in Bible Study

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 07:52:06 AM »

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 08:43:45 AM »
Halo: Reach Said To Be "Gears of War With Spartans"

Let's face it, Halo: Reach is an unknown entity at the moment. What do we know for sure? We know it involves Spartans and we know it takes place on Reach minutes before its "fall" - as described in the book.

Well according to a Gamespot source, someone who's seen the game first-hand, Halo: Reach is said to be "Gears of War with Spartans" which we assume is a reference to the squad play and not the perspective - Reach is an FPS.

The source also told the site that the game would be "very bleak and violent," which Gamespot rightly points out can be seen somewhat in last night's trailer - the scars on the Spartan's faces, the artificial arm, the Spartan sharpening his machete like blade and more.

A couple of the pictures that leaked on to the net last month also hinted at squad based play and the language of some of the Spartans in the trailer also hints at that too.

Squad based Halo then? Sounds good.

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads