Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins  (Read 7552 times)

Offline Jaynestown

• Forum Moderator
  • Way Beyond Awesome
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me!
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • XBL: Jaynestown
Re: Dragon Age: Origins
« Reply #120 on: March 19, 2010, 01:59:19 PM »
I'm getting really pissed off with this game, the combat is horrible :(

I like the real-time-command system.  If they used real-time-combat (eg. Fable) I wouldn't have been able to strategize my entire team during the big battles.

That's where I am having massive problems. I just don't understand the strategizing part of the combat, I just want to be able to kill the bad guys!!!  >:( The rest of the game I'm really enjoying, which is why the combat is so frustrating. Still at least I finally managed to get a few achievements today :)

Thank god for the new Tomb Raider, helped me de-stress after a tough week! More of the same please

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #121 on: March 19, 2010, 02:13:17 PM »
I just don't understand the strategizing part of the combat, I just want to be able to kill the bad guys!!!  >:(

When you pull up your command wheel thing, it pauses the game.  Then cycle through to each of your teammates and issue a specific command for each of them.

It's good to have at least one Mage that can heal your party when needed, so the fighters can focus on attacking instead of drinking health potions.

You can also go into your team/squad options and customize each of their auto-pilot commands.  But when I rely on auto-pilot too much, my team ended up dying a lot.  You have to keep one eye on the battlefield and one eye on your team status in the top/left corner.

It can get a little complicated at times.  Sometimes I would hold in my command wheel thing and analyze the battlefield for several minutes trying to figure out where to focus my attacks / spells / heals.  If I played the game in real-time-combat, it would be impossible.

Offline Jaynestown

• Forum Moderator
  • Way Beyond Awesome
« Reply #122 on: March 19, 2010, 03:16:33 PM »
I just don't understand the strategizing part of the combat, I just want to be able to kill the bad guys!!!  >:(

When you pull up your command wheel thing, it pauses the game.  Then cycle through to each of your teammates and issue a specific command for each of them.

It's good to have at least one Mage that can heal your party when needed, so the fighters can focus on attacking instead of drinking health potions.

You can also go into your team/squad options and customize each of their auto-pilot commands.  But when I rely on auto-pilot too much, my team ended up dying a lot.  You have to keep one eye on the battlefield and one eye on your team status in the top/left corner.

It can get a little complicated at times.  Sometimes I would hold in my command wheel thing and analyze the battlefield for several minutes trying to figure out where to focus my attacks / spells / heals.  If I played the game in real-time-combat, it would be impossible.

1) How do you cycle through to teammates from the wheel, I thought that only worked for the character you have selected

2) A mage can heal the party? How???

Neato you are my Yoda, please help me improve my Dragon Age combat skills!

Thank god for the new Tomb Raider, helped me de-stress after a tough week! More of the same please

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #123 on: March 19, 2010, 04:06:05 PM »
1) How do you cycle through to teammates from the wheel, I thought that only worked for the character you have selected

I think you just press UP or DOWN on the D-Pad (or possibly the L & B bumpers) while your command wheel is up.  It's been a while since I've played it, I may be wrong.

There should have been a tutorial during your Origin Story chapter that walked you through this.  That's how I learned, since I never read manuals anymore.

2) A mage can heal the party? How???

Once you take control of the Mage, you execute Heal from the command wheel, the same way you execute special attacks with your main character.  Wynn knows how to Heal when she joins your party.  Other Mages may need to unlock it when leveling up.

Offline Jaynestown

• Forum Moderator
  • Way Beyond Awesome
« Reply #124 on: March 19, 2010, 04:31:58 PM »
I'll check that out. I haven't got Wynee in my party though, only Morrigan and the lispy girl (who's name I can't remember!)

Offline Handshakes

• Super Dooper Member
  • Now with almost no cannibalism!
    • Conservative Gamer Bloke - My Blog
  • Last.fm: Hndshks
  • OnLive: Handshakes
  • PSN: ShakesyJ
  • Steam: handshakes
  • XBL: Handshakes
« Reply #125 on: March 19, 2010, 09:17:01 PM »
I have to agree that the combat in the game is attrocious. It kind of is a testament to how good the story and RPG part of the game is that I've played through (almost) twice even though I think the combat sucks.

Targeting is a PAIN. Any fight with a mage that can either paralyze, fireball, or both just becomes a nightmare as he disables my entire team for ridiculous periods of time while I fumble and try to get someone to go over there and kick his ass. For my second play through I just said screw it and switched to easy. On easy you can just let everything turn into a clusterfudge and it will turn out just fine. It isn't exactly fun, but I'm not tearing my hair out anymore.
Your mom!

Offline Jaynestown

• Forum Moderator
  • Way Beyond Awesome
« Reply #126 on: March 21, 2010, 05:23:36 AM »
Now why didn't I think of chasnging the setting to easy? There are no achievements for completing it on particular levels of difficulty are there?

Offline Lukehi

• Forum Moderator
  • Super Dooper Member
  • Elle <3 Jacob
  • Last.fm: Lukehi
  • XBL: Lukehi
« Reply #127 on: April 25, 2010, 08:57:12 AM »
Now why didn't I think of chasnging the setting to easy? There are no achievements for completing it on particular levels of difficulty are there?

Nope, all cheevo's can be won playing on easy!

Had this a while and thought I'd better fire it up before the end of the month to cash in on the free DLC.  Opened the case, glanced through the manual and realised that there's no DLC code card... >:(

Went to ASDA yesterday with my receipt and explined the situation but they've got no codes left!

Anyone got any ideas on what I can do?  Is it worth giving EA an email?

Putting the "stud" back in Bible Study

Offline Jaynestown

• Forum Moderator
  • Way Beyond Awesome
« Reply #128 on: April 25, 2010, 12:17:41 PM »
That sucks  >:(

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #129 on: April 26, 2010, 02:33:37 PM »
... Is it worth giving EA an email?

That's what I would do.   >:(

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #130 on: August 09, 2010, 09:43:44 PM »
"Ultimate Edition" scheduled for October release.

BioWare's award-winning fantasy role-playing game has shipped more than 3 million units since launch and has offered hungry gamers a content-heavy $40 expansion pack. But if a GameStop listing proves accurate, the Electronic Arts-owned studio may be preparing to combine the two into one package.

A listing for Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition recently surfaced on GameStop.com. The listing provides nothing in the way of details as to what the package will contain. Typically, premium editions issued months after a game is released contain either expansions or downloadable content for the game. It is likely the Ultimate Edition would contain some--or all--of the numerous Dragon Age DLC packs.

According to GameStop, the Ultimate Edition will be released on October 12 at $59.99 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
« Reply #131 on: August 26, 2010, 06:54:13 PM »

Offline Failed

• Living Legend