Author Topic: PlayStation 4  (Read 19967 times)

Offline TaraJayne

• Way Beyond Awesome
  • Twitter: TaraJayne360
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: TaraJayne360
  • XBL: TaraJayne
PlayStation 4
« on: December 29, 2009, 04:56:02 PM »
Sony is reportedly looking into technical specifications for a PlayStation 4 console, despite recently stressing its commitment to the PS3's ten-year lifecycle.

According to Japanese website PC Watch (via Kotaku), a Sony insider has revealed that a multi-core design is being considered for the next generation of PlayStation.

The approach is aimed at making it easier for studios to create new games for the platform, after some developers found it challenging to work on the PS3.

Sony initially considered Cell and Intel's Larrabee-based systems, but opted against the approach due to the need for more power. After also dismissing a Synergistic Processor Unit, the firm instead gravitated towards a multi-core CPU.

As new consoles take around 24 months to develop and produce, the PS4 would most likely not arrive on the market until late 2012 at the earliest.

Can't wait for Shenmue 3

I hate jokes that rely on visual imagery.

I've had it right up to here with them.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
Re: PlayStation 4
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 04:57:15 PM »
Sony will take over the gaming industry again with the PS4, mark my words.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 07:38:13 PM »
The approach is aimed at making it easier for studios to create new games for the platform, after some developers found it challenging to work on the PS3.

Understatement of the week.   ;)

Sony will take over the gaming industry again with the PS4, mark my words.

I can see that happening.  But I also don't think Microsoft is going away anytime soon.

For a lot of middle-aged adults, the 360 introduced (or reintroduced) them to videogames.  This is true for A LOT of friends and family I know.  For many, it's their first console.  For others, it's the first console they've purchased since 1996.

Sony can't say they've had the same affect with the PS3.  But they may very well have the same affect with the PS4 if they play their hand right.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 07:01:53 AM »
Combined PAL region PS3 sales have now overtaken the 360 despite the 360's 16 month head start, but it's only a small lead, though not in the UK where the 360 has a healthy lead, i'm guessing it still has a massive lead in the States too?  So MS will still be very close in the next generation of consoles, but the PS3 after a very slow start has finally started to sell and will probably overtake the 360 Worldwide this year which bodes well for the PS4.  Obviously neither will catch the Wii but then most people don't care about the gamecube with funny controllers!

Offline sambo

• Greatness Personified
  • No cuts, no buts, no coconuts?
  • Last.fm: sambomaher
  • XBL: ox SAMBO xo
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 12:55:06 PM »
The success of project Natel could have a massive effect on how the next war of consoles is played out, If Natel is a success and developers really get behind it, It may give MS a big advantage when it comes to releasing the next wave of consoles.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 01:15:40 PM »
The success of project Natel could have a massive effect on how the next war of consoles is played out, If Natel is a success and developers really get behind it, It may give MS a big advantage when it comes to releasing the next wave of consoles.

Good point, obviously MS & Sony have seen how successful the Wii has been & are trying to get a piece of the pie.  I think i'll be avoiding both Natal and the PS3 Wand gizmo though, i can imagine a lot of hardcore gamers will also avoid them too, the casual gamers however will lap them up.

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
  • Some people drink Pepsi, some people drink Coke...
    • Time Zone: GMT -07
  • PSN: ZeroEquals
  • Steam: ZeroEquals
  • XBL: ZeroEquals
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 12:18:02 PM »

Ok, so with E3 around the corner Kotaku is reporting the following:

The Next PlayStation is Called Orbis, Sources Say. Here are the Details.
While the official reveal of Sony's next home console could still be months away, if not longer, Kotaku has today learned some important details concerning the PlayStation 3's successor.

For one, the console's name—or at least its codename/working title—is apparently Orbis. And it's being planned for release in time for the 2013 holiday season.

The details in this story come from a reliable source who is not authorized to talk publicly about next-gen hardware but has shared correct information with us before. What they're telling us in specifics matches much of what we've heard and reported in generalities in recent weeks.

A Sony spokesperson declined to comment about these details, citing the company's policy not to comment on "rumors or speculation."

Our main source supplied some basic specs for the console, but as the future is always in motion, bear in mind these could easily change between now and the Orbis' retail release. Still, if you'd like to know what developers are being told to plan for now, here you go.

• AMD x64 CPU
  • AMD Southern Islands GPU

The former, that's largely something we've heard before, but the latter is interesting. That's the name given to many of AMD's 2012 roster of high-end PC cards. The PS4's GPU in particular, we're told, will be capable of displaying Orbis games at a resolution of up to 4096x2160, which is far in excess of the needs of most current HDTV sets. It'll also be capable of playing 3D games in 1080p (the PS3 could only safely manage 3D at 720p).

Next Year
Our main source tell us that "select developers" have been receiving dev kits for the new console since the beginning of this year. Revised and improved versions of these kits were sent out around GDC, while more finalised beta units will be shipped to developers towards the end of 2012.

That should hopefully give developers plenty of time to have launch games ready for the Orbis' retail release, which will be in time for the 2013 holiday season. If you can remember the PS3 launch—it's OK if you can't, it was a while ago—that too was in time for the holiday shopping season (November 2006 for Japan and North America).

So Long Used Games
Just like the next Xbox/Durango, we've heard from multiple sources that the Orbis will likewise have some kind of anti-used games measures built into the console. Here's how our main source says it's currently shaping up: new games for the system will be available one of two ways, either on a Blu-Ray disc or as a PSN download (yes, even full retail titles). If you buy the disc, it must be locked to a single PSN account, after which you can play the game, save the whole thing to your HDD, or peg it as "downloaded" in your account history and be free to download it at a later date.

Don't think you can simply buy the disc and stay offline, though; like many PC games these days, you'll need to have a PSN account and be online to even get the thing started.

If you then decide to trade that disc in, the pre-owned customer picking it up will be limited in what they can do. While our sources were unclear on how exactly the pre-owned customer side of things would work, it's believed used games will be limited to a trial mode or some other form of content restriction, with consumers having to pay a fee to unlock/register the full game.

This would allow used games to continue to be sold at outlets such as GameStop, while also appeasing major publishers who would no longer have to implement their own haphazard approaches to "online passes".

To sum it up:

• Is called, or at least carries the working codename, "Orbis".
  • Is scheduled for a Holiday 2013 release.
  • Won't be backwards compatible with PS3 games.
  • Will lock new games to a PSN account as an anti-used games measure.
  • New games can be bought either on Blu-Ray or downloaded.
  • Current specs are an AMD x64 CPU and AMD Southern Islands GPU

Source: [Kotaku]

*Note: Kotaku has not confirmed these details officially, but are depending on a 'reliable source' - so make of it what you will at this point.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 12:23:58 PM by zerosum »

Offline Autarch Kade

• This post may contain nuts.
    • Time Zone: GMT -06
    • An interestingly accurate site
  • Steam: AutarchKade
  • XBL: Autarch Kade
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 06:07:37 PM »
The Southern Islands family of GPU is high end for AMD.  It's what I use in my Desktop PC!
I like my women how I like my coffee: ground up and in the freezer.

The doctors say his chances are 50/50... but there's only a 10% chance of that.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 10:22:43 AM »
To sum it up:

Is called, or at least carries the working codename, "Orbis".
Is scheduled for a Holiday 2013 release.
Won't be backwards compatible with PS3 games.
Will lock new games to a PSN account as an anti-used games measure.
New games can be bought either on Blu-Ray or downloaded.
Current specs are an AMD x64 CPU and AMD Southern Islands GPU

The first sin may be forgivable, but the 2nd is a guaranteed downfall of Sony's gaming console future.

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 02:40:10 PM »
To sum it up:

Is called, or at least carries the working codename, "Orbis".
Is scheduled for a Holiday 2013 release.
Won't be backwards compatible with PS3 games.
Will lock new games to a PSN account as an anti-used games measure.
New games can be bought either on Blu-Ray or downloaded.
Current specs are an AMD x64 CPU and AMD Southern Islands GPU

The first sin may be forgivable, but the 2nd is a guaranteed downfall of Sony's gaming console future.

I'm guessing that Microsoft might be taking a 'wait and see' approach to see how Sony's experiment works. My guess is, like you say, this could start to spell the beginning of the end for Sony in the console business. They're not strong enough as they stand right now, both in terms of sales and reputation with consumers.

I'm not sure how the industry's 'used-games problem' can be solved, but leave it to Sony to bring a rocket launcher to a sanctioned hand to hand fight.

One thing's for sure though, if they officially go with locking games to PSN accounts to prevent used game sales,  A) PSN better be a hell of a lot more secure than their track record shows B) Exclusives or Pre-Order bonuses and incentives are going to take a hit. 

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 03:40:01 PM »
Definitely a wasp nest of complex variables & possibilities.

Personally, I'm also taking a 'wait and see' approach for next-gen consoles.  If I stopped buying games today, my current stockpile of unplayed games could easly keep me entertained for 2 years.  I'm in no hurry to buy a new console.  I actually think buying all 3 current-gen consoles was probably one of the dumbest things I've ever done, considering how little time I actually have to play.   :-\

I'm pretty sure I'm only going to buy one console next time around.  My money is on Microsoft leading the console market next-gen, but Sony still might come back stronger.  I'm going to wait until both hit the market and make their impressions before I decide to buy either.  One thing is for certain, I'm not buying a Wii-U.   :P

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 12:47:52 AM »
Definitely a wasp nest of complex variables & possibilities.

Personally, I'm also taking a 'wait and see' approach for next-gen consoles.  If I stopped buying games today, my current stockpile of unplayed games could easly keep me entertained for 2 years.  I'm in no hurry to buy a new console.  I actually think buying all 3 current-gen consoles was probably one of the dumbest things I've ever done, considering how little time I actually have to play.   :-\

I'm pretty sure I'm only going to buy one console next time around.  My money is on Microsoft leading the console market next-gen, but Sony still might come back stronger.  I'm going to wait until both hit the market and make their impressions before I decide to buy either.  One thing is for certain, I'm not buying a Wii-U.   :P

Neato's our very own gaming Doomsday Prepper.   ;) I probably have about a 1 year supply, especially the way I play.

But I'm betting on the same thing, MS will probably have the edge as far as having an established base out of the gate (but it really depends on how amazing their launch line-up is). Sony has a lot of ground to cover (and their footing is shaky at best) if they want to have a sustained life with their next console cycle.

Horsepower's good but Sony's major problem I think has been software, specifically when it comes to exclusives. Eventhough, from a technical standpoint, the PS3 packs more punch than the 360, it's little more than a glorified BluRay player, for me.  I can't remember the last game I played on the PS3, I think it might have been Infamous, which I think is  :'(  (Actually, it's God of War III, but still...)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 03:14:35 AM by zerosum »

Offline Smithk4

• PSN: Smithk4
  • XBL: Nursingtitan84
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 03:06:58 AM »
Ya I guess its a trap most of us fell into although I have recently started to see the light so before I bought my Xbox, last September I traded in my DSI and PSP, while they were still worth something (although I still have my PS2 partly because i would get nothing for it). I also traded in alot of the games I knew I would not play again to help fund the purchase of the Xbox.
It now sits proud of place next to my PS3 that's gathering dust like you wouldn't believe. That said I did turn it on at the weekend to update the firmware to keep it current and play DC Universe but since the latest Gears FoN DLC came out its all Xbox again. So ya I won't be rushing out to get the next Gen console straight away........

Lets face it, these consoles are now more then gaming stations anyway. See below a short report Joystiq released a few days ago:

Xbox 360 used more for video and music apps than for gaming

More than half of the time people spend on Xbox Live is devoted to watching videos and listening to music, Microsoft's Yusuf Mehdi told the Los Angeles Times. "What we're seeing is that people are turning on the Xbox to play games and then keeping it on afterwards to get other types of entertainment," Mehdi said.

The Xbox 360 isn't a gaming console; it's now officially an entertainment center that includes games, and it's becoming more popular with this angle. Today households spend an average of 84 hours a month playing games and using other apps on Xbox Live, up 30 percent from a year prior. To compare, the average household watches 150 hours of TV each month.

Even before Kinect, a tool that has always made more sense as an entertainment control rather than a gaming one, Microsoft has wanted the Xbox 360 to be "the heart of connected digital entertainment," as HBO senior vice president of consumer technology Otto Berkes put it.

Don't get me wrong, the consoles I have are used 90% of the time for gaming but these additional features along with the games I currently have, should keep my content for some time.  :)

[/url]
You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!!

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 10:41:23 AM »
Sony exec hints at possible PS4 announcement for May or June

Sony Home Entertainment vice president Hiroshi Sakamoto interview by Chile news site El Mercurio On-Line

Regarding consoles, people say that Sony will make announcements this year and that would be working on the new PlayStation. Are we going to see a new model in some months?

It's still a big secret, but our Sony PlayStation friends are getting ready. I only can say that we're focused on the games related E3 event, booked for June. The announcement can take place there or even before, in May.

But are you working on a big reveal or in something complementary?

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 05:12:31 PM »
Sony rumoured to abandon DualShock design for PS4

A senior games studio source working on an upcoming Sony game says the new system's controller has undergone numerous iterations, few of which resemble the DualShock build that has become synonymous with PlayStation.

Experiments within Sony's R&D department are thought to have been extensive. Versions of the new PS4 pad include biometric sensors on the grips and an LCD touch screen, the development source claimed.

A second source, working in a separate part of the industry but still connected to Sony, said PlayStation engineers are "trying to emulate the same user interface philosophies as the PS Vita". This is likely a reference to the touch-screen capabilities of the PlayStation handheld, and a suggestion that Sony will tightly integrate its portable and home systems.

The new console - codenamed Orbis - will be revealed in a matter of weeks, not months.

Sony has declined to comment.

[CVG]

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads