Author Topic: Alice Madness Returns Review  (Read 1459 times)

Offline knikki91

• Time Zone: GMT
Alice Madness Returns Review
« on: July 25, 2011, 01:12:01 PM »
I have been playing this game on and off for the past few weeks so thought I would write a review on it.

It has been 13 years since Alice's last outing to Wonderland and in that time she has been in an Asylum and in the care of a Dr Bumby. All this because she carries the blame for starting a house fire that killed her family.

However all is not as it seems, as Alice's deranged mind is having a destructive effect on Wonderland and as Alice moves between London and Wonderland a dark and terrible secret is unravelled.

As most know this is a follow up to American McGees's Alice and like the last game is a full on platform game. Alice is limited to 4 weapons the Vorpel Blade, Pepper Grinder, Hobby Horse and the Teapot Canon all of which you can power up as you go through the game. All the enemies can be dispatched by any of the weapons on their own the fun part is using the combinations to quickly get rid of them.

Graphically the game is great. They way the characters are portrayed in the real world big bruising male characters in and around the docks to the women all tall with miniature waists (a play on the Victorian dress of the day) to the cut scenes where all the characters become cut outs to the glory that is Wonderland itself. In some respects it is a visual feast.

In game voicing is superb with the actors really adding to the game I think the best is the Cheshire Cat with its sarcastic, mocking voice just adding to the atmosphere and Alice with a kind of arrogant tone to the voice is just great.

I think this game is great and having finished it I am now going round again on the Hard setting, but I suppose the odd thing is, when you finish the game and restart a New Game, you do not lose your weapons nor power ups. I have also got the DLC new dresses and changes to the weapons, The Vorpel Blade becomes a Vorpel Cleaver and you get new dresses for Alice which changes what she can do.

As much as I love this game it is not without its issues.

Combat: If using the projectile weapons they will lock onto the nearest target, you can change this by moving the right control stick. However in practise this become tricky and annoying because as soon as you re-hit the left trigger the weapon locks onto the nearest again.

Camera: Arrggghh!! this can be really frustrating. You do something and the camera changes and locks into a view so your movement goes all to cock making it tricky to judge jumps. The worst place is in the Doll House level where you have to move through a maze the camera makes it so hard that you end up doing it again and again till you figure out where your meant to go.

Other Issues: Sometime depending and where you are you can jump across a bunch of hidden platforms, but depending on if you miss and die then the scene does not reset properly making the task nie on impossible. The area this is really bad is when you have to rescue 3 sailors and it is the 3rd sailor that whole area is bugged, but it can be done, just be prepared and have a spare controller handy as no doubt you will throw the one you have against the wall.

Achievements: They are not hard to get but some you can only get if you download the original game. This is fine if you have bought the game as you get a "use once" code to download it however if you buy the game used then you will have to buy the original game if you want to get the 1000 points.

Offline Lukehi

• Forum Moderator
  • Super Dooper Member
  • Elle <3 Jacob
  • Last.fm: Lukehi
  • XBL: Lukehi
Re: Alice Madness Returns Review
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 01:40:55 PM »
When I saw the trailers I was very interested in this game but the gameplay videos (and now some of your comments) put me off.  It's a shame there's no demo.

Although saying that it's now on my Lovefilm list so maybe I'll get round to renting at somepoint.

Putting the "stud" back in Bible Study

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 04:01:35 PM »
Fantastic review, Knikki.  Great read.

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 08:21:42 AM »
the camera can be dodgy but that's true with most games like this, i found some of the platforming to be unforgiving and there wasn't alot of combat elements and a few more enemies would have been nice.

Still i loved the game, the atmosphere and the voice acting. The ending is .... disturbing and will remain with me like the scene from CoD4 where your heli crashes and you die infront of the mushroom cloud spewing up blood.

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads