Author Topic: inSane  (Read 3279 times)

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
  • Some people drink Pepsi, some people drink Coke...
    • Time Zone: GMT -07
  • PSN: ZeroEquals
  • Steam: ZeroEquals
  • XBL: ZeroEquals
Re: inSane
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 01:12:42 PM »
Sounds mighty interesting...is it safe to say that the idea of building this for a 2013 release on PS3 and Xbox360 seems to also assume we'll be riding these consoles till sometime after that point then? Would be a shame to have the consoles pulled out from under a project like this if that weren't the case.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 07:20:11 AM »
Del Toro: 'Games the cornerstone of narrative in next decade'
Movie director turned game developer says gaming will "take over storytelling" in future

Video games will "completely take over storytelling in our society" in the not too distant future, believes Guillermo del Toro.

The movie director, who's now heading development on his first game, Insane, with THQ and Volition, reckons games, not Hollywood, will be the powerhouse of creative storytelling within the next ten years.

"I'm 46, I've been playing video games since they were essentially made available to the public. I've seen the form evolve from total reflex coordination gaming into a true narrative powerhouse," he said in the latest issue of Game Informer magazine.

"I believe video games are going to be the cornerstone of narrative in the next decade," he added. "As a storyteller it is my duty to get going on learning the language not as a gamer, but as a storyteller."

Later in the interview, del Toro reiterated: "I think video games are going to completely take over storytelling in our society, and I firmly believe, if I'm lucky and blessed enough, and if I prove adept at this, I'll be evolving with the form into storytelling of this kind."

Do you think games are truly ready to take the baton from Hollywood?

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 09:40:56 AM »
I think the overall marketshare balance of movies vs. videogames will start to balance out in gaming's favor at some point in the future.  But there will always be a large demand for a 100% passive movie experience.

Not even the most hardcare of gamers want to 'interact' all day long.  Sometimes you just want to sit there and be entertained.

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 03:51:43 PM »
I agree, i don't watch much TV, i tend to play instead. That's why i'm always online and playing, but sometimes you just wanna sit back and not have to think. That's why i love big, brainless movies with loads of explosions, killing, guns and t*ts ;)

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 06:24:51 AM »
Del Toro: 2 or 3 years to go on Insane

Spanish film maker Guillermo del Toro (Hellboy, Pan's Labyrinth) has said there are still two or three more years to go on his THQ horror game Insane.

"We've been working for a year," del Toro told MTV Multiplayer. "We have two or three more years to go.

"It's huge. I'm learning a lot. I'm going in with a really, really modest 'I'm learning' approach.

"I'm a huge gamer but going into constructing it, you have to be respectful of the medium."

Del Toro's vision will be turned into a game by the capable team at Volition, developers of canned series Red Faction and gangster romp Saints Row.

"It's Lovecraftian," del Toro said of the game's style, referring to the horror sub-genre inspired by author H. P. Lovecraft. "It's really weird, but it's Lovecraftian in a very sick way, which I like.

"It's truly, truly entertaining. Full of action, but also a very shocking game."

As for gameplay details, Del Toro revealed that "we had to build a sandbox, so we designed all the architecture already". A sandbox world fits well with Volition's expertise.

Del Toro and Volition are currently designing lighting, art style and cinematography style. Creatures are also being designed, with the help of comic artists Guy Davis and Francisco Ruis Velasco.

"We've been designing the creatures, which are obscenely fun and unique," beamed del Toro. "You haven't seen them ever."

"Guy Davis, to me, is one of the best monster designers alive right now."

Del Toro admitted that he can't devote all his time to the THQ video game but promised he is giving it "proper attention".

"We've spent an inordinate amount of time into that project," he said. "It's because it's worth it.

"You learn more as a narrator for this medium than I ever expected."

Guillermo del Toro announced his collaboration with THQ and Volition in September 2010. He told the world then that his new game wouldn't arrive until, "best case scenario", 2013.

Given his comment that there may still be three years from now, mid-2011, it begs the question of which platforms will the game be released on? Microsoft, remember, is rumoured to be releasing a new Xbox in the run up to Christmas 2013.

What's more, THQ intends to build a trilogy of del Toro/Volition games that will span around eight-to-10 years. Wouldn't it be sensible to base them all within the same hardware generation?

The announced plan, as of December 2010, was for Insane to launch in 2013 on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

Offline sambo

• Greatness Personified
  • No cuts, no buts, no coconuts?
  • Last.fm: sambomaher
  • XBL: ox SAMBO xo
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 07:20:53 AM »
Del Toro: 2 or 3 years to go on Insane

Spanish film maker Guillermo del Toro (Hellboy, Pan's Labyrinth) has said there are still two or three more years to go on his THQ horror game Insane.

"We've been working for a year," del Toro told MTV Multiplayer. "We have two or three more years to go.

Given his comment that there may still be three years from now, mid-2011, it begs the question of which platforms will the game be released on? Microsoft, remember, is rumoured to be releasing a new Xbox in the run up to Christmas 2013.

What's more, THQ intends to build a trilogy of del Toro/Volition games that will span around eight-to-10 years. Wouldn't it be sensible to base them all within the same hardware generation?

I'd be surprised if we do see this game released for the 360, Maybe a Xbox(720?) launch title.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 07:14:11 AM »
Guillermo del Toro's inSANE Trilogy is Shelved by THQ

In what is actually a generally positive Q1 report for THQ, the publisher has announced that it's shelved Guillermo del Toro's inSANE trilogy with all IP rights returned to the movie director, whose films include the likes of Hellboy, Blade II and Pan's Labyrinth.

“We have decided not to pursue further pre-production on inSANE, and have returned all of our IP rights to Guillermo del Toro," THQ President Jason Rubin confirmed to investors on a conference call. "By cancelling these explorations outside of our core business, we feel we can improve focus on our core game portfolio, which remains unchanged.”

It's likely that developer Volition's work on other projects such as Saints Row 4 and del Toro's numerous movie projects in the pipeline has also put the brakes on inSANE, and it's unclear at what stage the game was at in its production. Based on last year's report that inSANE was still two or three years away, it's possible that it was still in pre-production.

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
  • Some people drink Pepsi, some people drink Coke...
    • Time Zone: GMT -07
  • PSN: ZeroEquals
  • Steam: ZeroEquals
  • XBL: ZeroEquals
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 11:07:41 AM »
That's a bummer - if this ever gets back on its feet, my guess is that it'll be pushed onto the next generation of consoles...

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2014, 11:11:30 AM »
Former THQ boss wants to revive Guillermo Del Toro's InSane
"I'm gonna speak to him soon"

Former THQ boss Danny Bilson wants to have a chat with famed film director Guillermo Del Toro about reviving his cancelled survival horror title, apparently. Anyone got Guillermo's number?

"I haven't heard that he's doing anything with it yet, although I do have an idea how to revive it, and I'm gonna speak to him soon," Bilson told VG24/7.

Previously in development at Volition, publisher THQ cancelled pre-production on the promising-sounding InSane in 2012, returning all IP rights to Hollywood director Del Toro, who was helming the project.

"As much as I can tell you about it is that it was an action adventure game with really great environments, story and characters, and it was period and very Lovecraftian," Bilson continued. "I don't wanna spoil it, in the hope that Guillermo wants to go further with it.

"It was really atmospheric, a great world. There were environments in that game that players have never been through before. It had a really interesting narrative, a really great character that the player inhabited in it.

"It was at Volition for at least a year towards the end there. The people who really worked on it were at Volition. There were probably - I don't remember exactly - about 35 people working on it in pre-production, doing some prototyping and working on some technology, things like that. They were very passionate about it at Volition."

Back in 2012, Del Toro himself was attempting to resurrect the project, at one point apparently finding a studio willing to take on development. "We are in talks with a very, very big company," the Pacific Rim and Pan's Labyrinth director told the Toronto Sun at the time. "I can't say who, but it's one of the big ones. They really responded to the game, they responded to what we were trying."

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads