Author Topic: Movie & TV News, Posters & Stuff  (Read 235937 times)

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
Re: Movie & TV News, Posters & Stuff
« Reply #330 on: August 15, 2010, 12:20:26 PM »

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #331 on: August 15, 2010, 12:30:54 PM »
Karl Urban Confirmed as the New Judge Dredd

Remember that early report a few weeks ago about New Zealand-born-actor Karl Urban (Star Trek, Pathfinder, The Chronicles of Riddick, The Lord of the Rings) becoming the new Judge Dredd? Well, it's now confirmed. According to Empire Online, Urban has been tapped to essay the steel-jawed, helmet-wearing, hard-core dispenser of justice in a dystopian far future. Producers Andrew Macdonald and Allon Reich confirmed Urban's casting at a Q&A session.

Here's an excerpt from my original piece about the Judge Dredd character's comic book background:

For those not in the know (or the now), Judge Dredd first appeared more than 30 years ago in the pages of 2000 AD, a British-based, science-fiction oriented weekly comic book anthology. Credit for Judge Dredd belongs to writer/editor Pat Mills, writer John Wagner, and artist Carlos Ezquerra. In a dystopian future, uniformed Street Judges patrol Mega-City-One, dispensing on-the-spot justice, acting as police, judge, jury, and executioner. Dredd rides a cannon-powered, computer-equipped motorcycle, the "Lawmaster" (as opposed to the Lawnmaster, a completely different vehicle used for landscaping), a DNA-coded handgun called, appropriately enough, the "Lawgiver," a pliability inducing baton, and, most iconic of all, a helmet that covers his face with the exception of his mouth and jaw.

Even better, at least for diehard Judge Dredd fans? Unlike the first attempt to bring Dredd to the big screen with Sylvester Stallone fifteen years ago, Urban won't remove the helmet during the entire running time. That's right, Urban will have to depend on his exposed lower jaw, mouth, head, and body movements to convey Dredd's inner life, assuming he has one.

Here's more from Empire:

"The main thing about Dredd is that it's a fantastic comic that was completely messed up 20 years ago," said Macdonald. "Our idea is to make a very hard, R-rated, gritty, realistic movie of Dredd in Megacity, so we've got to get the tone right. He's not going to take off his helmet. His bike is going to feel real. He's going to hit people and it's going to feel real."

In my early report, I expressed doubts about a new Judge Dredd flick going this route. It might be true to the long-running comic-book series, but not everything that works on a printed or digital page will (or should) work on the big or small screen. That specific departure from the Judge Dredd character angered fans fifteen years. I consider Urban an above-average actor, capable of dramatic range, but keeping the helmet on might be asking too much of him, not too mention non-fans or casual Judge Dredd fans.

Pete Travis (Endgame, Vantage Point, Omagh) has been tapped to take on directing duties. Empire didn't mention a start date for principal photography (or a release date), only that shooting will occur in Johannesburg, South Africa, so stay tuned for additional information.

So what do you think of the news? Is Urban a good match for the Judge Dredd character? What do you think of Urban keeping the helmet on the entire time? A good decision or a bad one? And will you see a new Judge Dredd film theatrically regardless of whether you see Urban's face or just the lower half?

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #332 on: August 15, 2010, 12:41:41 PM »
Star Wars Coming to Blu-Ray Fall 2011!

That sound you might have heard Saturday afternoon? It was the collective groan of Star Wars fanboys and fanboys when they (and we) learned at the Star Wars Celebration V (via IGN) that the Star Wars trilogies are coming to Blu-Ray next fall (as in 2011, not 2010) . Sounds like good, if not great, news right? True to form, George Lucas plans to release both trilogies as part of one set (meaning you can't buy them separately or by trilogy) and you won't be able to choose between the theatrical versions and the remastered versions (you'll get the latter, but not the former).

As with the previous releases on VHS, DVD, special editions, etc., Lucas is counting on "true fans" to purchase the Star Wars trilogies in a new format. That might sound cynical, but Lucas is right: some fans might complain about this or that preference or having to purchase both trilogies when they really want the original trilogy, minus the late 1990s' changes Lucas made to better match his vision for the films, but ultimately they'll purchase the rejiggered, remastered versions collectively or, at some unspecified point in the future, the original trilogy separately.

There is good news, though. As with previous releases, the Blu-Ray set will "utilizi[e] the highest possible picture and audio presentation, along with extensive special features [and include] documentaries, vintage behind-the-scenes moments, interviews, retrospectives, and never-before-seen footage from the LucasFilm archives." Fans were given a preview of things to come when Lucas premiered a never-before-deleted shot from Return of the Jedi of Luke Skywalker completing work on his new lightsabler before the attempt to rescue Han Solo from Jabba the Hut.

A fan uploaded the footage to YouTube. It's slightly murky, but worth it for the audience reaction on the soundtrack:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdJ0E7HbTKc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdJ0E7HbTKc</a>

Are you excited, upset, indifferent, or ambivalent to the news? Put me in the ambivalent camp. While I'd love to see the original Star Wars trilogy on Blu-Ray, I'd like to have the option to choose between the theatrical and remastered versions.

Offline Jaynestown

• Forum Moderator
  • Way Beyond Awesome
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me!
  • XBL: Jaynestown
« Reply #333 on: August 15, 2010, 12:47:13 PM »
Are you excited, upset, indifferent, or ambivalent to the news? Put me in the ambivalent camp. While I'd love to see the original Star Wars trilogy on Blu-Ray, I'd like to have the option to choose between the theatrical and remastered versions.

No more extra scenes, please! I'd be happy with the special editions if they just put the Greedo scene back to the original, Han shoots first... PERIOD!

Still buy it though!

Thank god for the new Tomb Raider, helped me de-stress after a tough week! More of the same please

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #334 on: August 15, 2010, 12:49:53 PM »

No more extra scenes, please! I'd be happy with the special editions if they just put the Greedo scene back to the original, Han shoots first... PERIOD!

Still buy it though!

Damn right mate.   :)

Offline Jaynestown

• Forum Moderator
  • Way Beyond Awesome
« Reply #335 on: August 15, 2010, 12:57:59 PM »

Still buy it though!

Damn right mate.   :)

Never ever understood why Lucas felt the need to do that, what the hell was wrong with Han shooting first anyway? What was he going to do, let Greedo kill him?  >:(

Thank god for the new Tomb Raider, helped me de-stress after a tough week! More of the same please

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #336 on: August 15, 2010, 01:03:27 PM »
From hanshootsfirst.org and wikipedia:

George Lucas explained the change by stating that he wanted to make clear to children that Han had "no choice" but to shoot Greedo. This justification was unsatisfactory to many long-time and adult fans of the series. The ire of some fans led to an online petition demanding that the changes be retracted.
The primary objection to the revision is that it alters Han's initially morally ambiguous character, making his later transition from anti-hero to hero less meaningful; others claim that shooting Greedo first was justified, since Solo was likely to be killed by Greedo or Jabba the Hutt. The plausibility of Greedo missing from such a short distance is also considered questionable, and criticized as being depicted in an awkwardly facile manner.

Offline Jaynestown

• Forum Moderator
  • Way Beyond Awesome
« Reply #337 on: August 15, 2010, 01:13:46 PM »
My thoughts exactly!

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #338 on: August 30, 2010, 04:20:57 PM »
Better quality trailer than the previous one I posted a few weeks ago, starts on Halloween in the States, hopefully soon after over here though no doubt we'll have to wait about six months.  TV shack for me then.   :)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg46DWI_fCE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg46DWI_fCE</a>

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #339 on: August 31, 2010, 09:14:39 AM »

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #340 on: September 01, 2010, 12:50:27 PM »

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #341 on: September 01, 2010, 12:56:14 PM »
Firefly waaaaaaaaa!!!!! *sobs woefully*

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #342 on: September 01, 2010, 01:07:18 PM »
Firefly waaaaaaaaa!!!!! *sobs woefully*

I feel your pain.   :(

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #343 on: September 01, 2010, 01:33:54 PM »

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #344 on: September 01, 2010, 06:51:48 PM »
'Kick-Ass 2' Officially Gets The Green Light

It was inevitable that Matthew Vaughn's big-screen version of the John Romita Jr. and Mark Millar comic "Kick-Ass" would get the green light for a sequel. Today it's been confirmed apparently by Millar himself on a radio station in the UK who claimed that due to the wonderful DVD sales the sequel is a go.

It's not really a surprise when you think about it. Sure, it didn't perform incredibly well like people thought it would in the box office, but it seemed destined to be one of those comic book flicks that would find it's audience on home video. Since this is all up and running, now it's a matter of the studio bringing back Vaughn and the cast to the new project.

At the moment Matthew Vaughn is in the middle of filming "X-Men: First Class" for 20th Century Fox which acts as a '60s set prequel, out in theaters on June 3rd, 2011. "Kick-Ass" star Aaron Johnson will be appearing next in Sam Taylor-Wood directed film "Nowhere Boy". Chloe Moretz is in the middle of filming her role in Martin Scorsese's "Hugo Cabret" and will be seen in Matt Reeves' "Let Me In" this October 8th.

Woo hoo  ;D

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads