Author Topic: Aliens vs Predator  (Read 8991 times)

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
Aliens vs Predator
« on: July 23, 2009, 07:19:18 PM »
News that I posted on the old site, but here it is again.

Today Sega delivers a wealth of screens, details, and even a teaser video for the upcoming update to Rebellion's original Aliens VS Predator.

Like the PC original, the new Aliens VS Predator title will feature three separate campaign modes, one for each of the three factions represented in the game. Players will be able to experience the conflict surrounding the damned colony of Freya's Prospect from the perspective of the Aliens, the Predators, and the United States Marine Corps.

Along with the single player comes what they are calling "the reinvention of one of multiplayer gaming's defining moments", with a series of unique 3-way online modes that allow players to play any of the three races.

Teaser Trailer

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
Re: Aliens vs Predator
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 07:27:25 PM »
Brief history of Alien vs Predator

A look at some of the games starring the famous sci-fi creatures, though for some reason the list doesn't include the Atari Jaguar & PC Versions of AvP, strange.

Offline Handshakes

• Super Dooper Member
  • Now with almost no cannibalism!
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • Conservative Gamer Bloke - My Blog
  • Last.fm: Hndshks
  • OnLive: Handshakes
  • PSN: ShakesyJ
  • Steam: handshakes
  • XBL: Handshakes
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 10:48:27 AM »
The PC version of AvP on the Jaguar was called AvP Trilogy, which is on the list.

EDIT: Don't ask me how I know this useless crap.
Your mom!

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 05:43:24 PM »
Sega's released a new Alien Vs. Predator trailer, showing off the human marines.

The Rebellion-developed instalment is said to be under construction with the same team responsible for the 1999 PC classic, and features full single-player campaigns for all three of the infamous species; the Colonial Marine, Predator and Alien.

Online Alien-Predator-Marine multiplayer also naturally sits high up on the feature list. It's out early next year. We're optimistic.

AvP Marine Trailer

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 04:36:36 AM »
If you get 3 10hour campaigns, even if the scenery is re-used for each one, that's some achievement for a FPS.

It'll be like L4D when your the zombies, all the secret climbing areas open up, that's what playing the Alien will be like i reckon.

I played the RTS version on the PS2 and Easy, Medium and Hard was who you picked. Humans were easy mode, Predator was normal and the Aliens were hard. Wonder if it'll be similar, i reckon the Predator will be hard as your on your own.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 06:56:44 AM »
Alien vs. Predator developer Rebellion says it's "keeping a sharp eye" on recent motion control developments from Sony and Microsoft.

Speaking in an interview with CVG, art and design head Tim Jones said he's excited about the idea of getting his Predator, Marine and Alien waggle on... but the idea will probably have to wait for the sequel.

"We're always keeping a sharp eye on any new developments available to make games more immersive, and the new motion control developments look very exciting," he said.

"I don't think the technology will be quite ready for us to use in this iteration of AvP - but maybe next time..."

Jones also kept tight lipped when quizzed on the possibility of a demo or beta test for the shooter, telling us: "I can't confirm or deny a beta test or demo for the game. Obviously we'd love to but you'll have to wait and see."

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 07:13:00 AM »
SEGA has told Eurogamer that Aliens vs. Predator will indeed be released in February, as the official website suggests.

AVP - developed for PC, PS3 and 360 - re-imagines the classic 1999 PC game of the same name. And better still, the same developer - Rebellion - is behind it.

SEGA has been gradually uncloaking the FPS of late, showing us the Predator and Marine campaigns, and we're off to see the game again at gamescom.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 12:33:11 PM »
Some new 'Work In Progress' screens have emerged.

Offline Handshakes

• Super Dooper Member
  • Now with almost no cannibalism!
    • Conservative Gamer Bloke - My Blog
  • Last.fm: Hndshks
  • OnLive: Handshakes
  • PSN: ShakesyJ
  • Steam: handshakes
  • XBL: Handshakes
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 11:16:55 AM »
If you get 3 10hour campaigns, even if the scenery is re-used for each one, that's some achievement for a FPS.

It'll be like L4D when your the zombies, all the secret climbing areas open up, that's what playing the Alien will be like i reckon.

I played the RTS version on the PS2 and Easy, Medium and Hard was who you picked. Humans were easy mode, Predator was normal and the Aliens were hard. Wonder if it'll be similar, i reckon the Predator will be hard as your on your own.

If it is anything like the original game, then: Marines play like a survival horror game, Aliens play like a manhunt stealth type game, and Predator is somewhere in between. And as far as I remember you were running solo for the entire game for all of the species. As far as the Alien climbing goes, not at all like L4D. More like the Darklings in The Darkness' MP mode. Any wall, ceiling or surface is fair game to climb on. It is cool, but disorienting like a mother effer.

I have fond memories of AvP, it was one of the first internet multiplayer games I ever played. Many a round of species deathmatch where I always picked aliens. Good times.
Your mom!

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 07:59:03 AM »
Speaking to the head of art and design reminds us of school but Tim Jones, head of art and design at Rebellion, has a way better job than that. He's responsible for the savage looks of the world Rebellion is creating for Sega's hotly anticipated action game Aliens Versus Predator. See him dodge questions like a Predator dodges bullets below.

AvP has come a long way since the original. Improved visuals aside, how differently do you approach making a game now than years ago?

Jones:
With the power of current console technology, we're able to do so much more than we were on our first AvP. Our goal with this game is to get as close as possible to the movies through the sound, graphics and gameplay.

We're working very hard to create an authentic Aliens and Predator experience, and it's only now that we've got the technology in PC and current consoles to make the AvP game that we've always wanted to make. Our original AvP is still very fondly remembered by fans so it's a pleasure to come back to AvP and bring that classic experience up to date to give fans of the game and movies a brand new AvP experience.

How will ensure all three player classes are balanced?

Tim Jones:
Balancing in this game is extremely important, especially when you're working with three species that control in completely different ways and provide their own unique gameplay experience. We are investing a lot of time in ensuring that we get the balance right in both single player and multiplayer, and the results of the team to date are working out really well. We're constantly playing the multiplayer in the office and having a lot of fun.

But Predator would win in real life though, right?

Jones:
Not necessarily, each of the three species has their strengths and weaknesses, and each is as just as capable of making a fatal mistake. The Predator does have some pretty awesome technology on his side such as his ability to cloak, but the Marine has a barrage of lethal firepower and the Alien can hang off the environment and drop down onto his prey in a flash. I don't think you could ever definitively say that any of the three species would definitely win a fight against the others.

It's due next year - did Sony's or MS's motion control tech grab any interest at Rebellion?

Jones:
We're always keeping a sharp eye on any new developments available to make games more immersive, and the new motion control developments look very exciting. I don't think the technology will be quite ready for us to use in this iteration of AvP - but maybe next time...

The most recent Alien vs Predator movie. Disappointment. If you made an AvP movie, how would it be different?

Jones:
The AvP movies come in for a lot of stick because people's expectations are (justifiably) so high. While they perhaps don't capture the same vibe as the original classics, they still have a lot of fans and have introduced many cool ideas to the universe.

If I had the opportunity to make an AvP movie, I would set it in the future again and take it as an opportunity to look at how mankind might continue to spread through the galaxy and our approach to dealing with the hostile species we run into in the process. Think Battlestar Galactica with Aliens and Predators. I also think it's time to add a new species into the mix...

Nice. Your previous AvP title aside, which Aliens games were your favourites over the years, and why?

Jones:
I was a big fan of Aliens: The Computer Game on the ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64 - though I only ever seemed to manage to get about four screens into it! As a closet retro-gamer, the Capcom side-scrolling 2d beat em up Aliens vs Predator is a real favourite. And I have to admit that I cannot walk past an Aliens: Extermination light-gun cabinet without stopping and pumping in more credits than I can afford.

With a huge focus on multiplayer, what post-release DLC plans do you have?

Jones:
I'm afraid we can't say much on this as you can imagine. We are looking at DLC for the game but that's all I can reveal.

Do you have plans for a demo or Beta test before release?

Jones:
Again, I'm sorry to have to be tight lipped on this one but I can't confirm or deny a beta test or demo for the game. Obviously we'd love to but you'll have to wait and see.

AvP has been touted as "four games in one box". If each campaign could stand up as a game in itself, why not release them separately? A bit like what Blizzard's doing with Diablo III.

Jones:
You could definitely say it's like four games in one box but we wouldn't consider releasing each of them separately. Our previous AvP had all three species playable in single and multiplayer from the moment of booting up the game and so will our new AvP. We're very proud that players will be able to start up the game and play as each of the three species immediately.

Epic's Cliffy B recently said that he'd rather put a gun in his mouth than work on an IP. How do you respond to that?

Jones:
That's his prerogative. I'm sure he wouldn't want other people to feel that way about working on the IPs he has created! Personally, I feel very happy to be working with an IP that I have been a fan of and cherished my whole life.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 11:21:26 AM »
Epic's Cliffy B recently said that he'd rather put a gun in his mouth than work on an IP.

Cliffy is aware that Shadow Complex is an IP (Empire novel).  Why would he say that?

Given, Empire is not a widely well-known IP, but it is certainly not his own creation.  He's a dummy.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 12:05:38 PM »

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 06:51:48 AM »
AVP Alien campaign, multi detailed

SEGA has been proudly showing off new sections of Aliens vs. Predator at gamescom in Cologne this morning, with Alien gameplay being demonstrated for the first time, alongside new details of the multiplayer.

We were shown parts of the xenomorph campaign - the last piece of the three-part puzzle to fall into place. Visually it's very distinctive, with a more muted pallete wrested from Alien 3, and the fish-eye viewpoint familiar to fans of the first game. Movement, although remaining in the traditional spine-shivering scuttle mould, has also been refined. A minimal HUD now indicates orientation to the floor when on a wall or ceiling and a new focus mode will highlight vents and gaps which can be instantly leapt through, popping out on the other side to munch on unsuspecting squishies as they loiter in corridors, smoking and slagging off the sergeant.

As you'd expect, the Alien is still quite the mover, rattling along any flat surface to take out marines before they get a chance to bring guns to bear - a process assisted by the pheromone vision which allows you to 'see' the outlines of colonials through walls. Essentially, the name of the game is to pick off the armed guards one-by-one, isolating the unarmed and vulnerable colonists who remain. Then you grab and incapacitate them whilst a facehugger pops up and does the dirty business for you.

These harvestings all form part of larger objectives, pleasing your hungry queen as you progress. Leave a frightened civilian to their own devices for too long, though, and they'll often take the easy way out, popping a quick cap in their own melon, or hugging a grenade to stymie your larder-stocking plans. It's all quite tense and sinster, much as it should be.

There's more to playing the alien than just the fun and r*pe games, however. Marines will often set up traps and sentry guns, which must be disabled by destroying the power outlets which they're connected to. Or you can distract them with a handy hiss and leap from the shadows to perform a swift and lethal quick-kill manouevre when they come to investigate. First impressions are that the Alien campaign will also involve a fair bit of problem-solving, with larger areas full of marines requiring careful traversal to avoid detection and extinction.

On the multiplayer front, the main news is that there'll be 18-player, cross-species battles on all formats. There'll also be pure-blood modes where members of the same species are pitted against one another. Finally, there'll be four-player co-op, in which a quartet of marines will stand off against waves of encroaching aliens in a survival mode similar to Gears of War 2's Horde.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 06:25:37 AM »
New screens

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 06:27:04 AM »
Every screenshot shows a human dieing or about to die in a gruesome way.... excellent

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads