Author Topic: Microsoft: Want blu-ray? Go buy your own!  (Read 863 times)

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
Microsoft: Want blu-ray? Go buy your own!
« on: March 10, 2010, 12:26:49 PM »
Many of the who's who of the video game industry was in attendance at Square-Enix's release event in San Francisco on Monday night.  Microsoft was one of the bigger players with a number of Xbox "suits" participating in the festivities.  Luckily for The Game Guys,  Microsoft's director of global platform marketing for Xbox Albert Penello gave his two-cents on the possibility of blu-ray capabilities on the Xbox 360.

His (and seemingly Microsoft's) view on the subject is simple:  "Go spend $150 on one," he told Game Guy Barry White.

It seems that rather than listening to the growing demand of gamers who want to have a blu-ray capable gaming machine that isn't Sony's PlayStation 3, Microsoft would rather not deal with the issue.

Cost, of course, is a factor in this.  The ill-fated HD-DVD technology and the special external player that Microsoft sold as a peripheral for the Xbox 360 console definatly left a bad taste in the company's mouths.

Industry forecasting is another factor.  There is writing on the wall, as it were, as brick-and-mortar video stores begin to become less and less profitable other video services are picking up steam.  Mail-order DVD and blu-ray rental services such as Netflix are very popular but digital distribution is becoming more and more commonplace and it seems that Microsoft is more inclined to embrace such a business model.

Netflix has already started streaming a number of movies and television show episodes on the Xbox 360 (and PS3) and other services are sure to show interest as market demand grows.

But for those dead-set on having an Xbox 360 and blu-ray capabilities, Penello does have a point.  The $150 price-point he stated, however, might be a little inflated; Amazon.com lists a stand-alone blu-ray player for $109.95.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
Re: Microsoft: Want blu-ray? Go buy your own!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 03:38:04 PM »
Once developers become more familiar with the Blu-ray format, I'll also want my consoles to use it.  But until then, I prefer the format that is the most efficient, which is still Dual-Layer DVD.

Adding Blu-ray to the Xbox 360 would be no different than Sega adding SegaCD to the Genesis/Megadrive.  And we all know how that turned out.

However, if Microsoft is still using standard Dual-Layer DVDs for their next console, I would be surprised and disappointed.

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
Re: Microsoft: Want blu-ray? Go buy your own!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 07:16:50 PM »
cheapest ftw thank you

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads