• BEST SINCE DAY ONE
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
inSane
« on: August 07, 2010, 01:46:34 PM »
Hollwood legend making the jump to games

Guillermo del Toro is set to finalise a deal with THQ that will bring the talents of the acclaimed director, producer, screenwriter and designer to the video game world.

According to the LA Times, Guillermo del Toro has struck a big deal with THQ and will be creating "games that are going to be technically and narratively very interesting."

Guillermo del Toro has established a name for himself in Hollywood with films such as Blade II, The Devil's Backbone and the critically acclaimed Pan's Labyrinth.

Del Toro has professed his love for video games numerous times in the past, saying that Shadow of the Colossus was one of his favorites and likening 'Flower' to a haiku.

The partnership between THQ and Del Toro was recently revealed by the director when he said he was working with a "big" publisher on multiple titles.

The deal was brokered by Hollywood veteran and THQ's core software boss Danny Bilson.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 06:27:29 AM by GamerMan316 »

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
Re: inSane
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 03:47:16 PM »
expect weirdness and an 18 rating :P

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 05:11:34 PM »
expect look forward to weirdness and an 18 rating  ;D

*fixed

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 07:36:48 AM »
Of the eight movies he's directed only two are 18 rated movies, Blade 2 and Cronos, so it'll most likely be a 15.   :)

Offline Handshakes

• Super Dooper Member
  • Now with almost no cannibalism!
    • Conservative Gamer Bloke - My Blog
  • Last.fm: Hndshks
  • OnLive: Handshakes
  • PSN: ShakesyJ
  • Steam: handshakes
  • XBL: Handshakes
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 01:03:38 PM »
Blade 2, Hellboy, Hellboy 2...

Pass.
Your mom!

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 01:51:46 PM »
I liked Hellboy   :(

I don't really remember Blade 1 or 2.  I remember Ryan Reynolds in Blade 3, but that's all I remember about it.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 02:04:39 PM »

I don't really remember Blade 1 or 2.  I remember Ryan Reynolds in Blade 3, but that's all I remember about it.

I liked Hellboy too, quality movie, the sequel was good too.

The first Blade was awesome and still has the best bad guy vamp since the Hammer Horror days, you know back when vampires actually killed people and died in sunlight instead of being the wimpy glistening little cry babies they are now.   ;D  Stephen Dorff was great as Deacon Frost and Snipes suited the part of Blade perfectly, great action and an awesome soundtrack too, doesn't look all that dated 12 years on either.
Blade 2 was pretty good, 3 wasn't all that great but Reynolds comic timing saved the whole movie, still waiting on the Hannibal King spinoff but that's highly unlikely.

DFUSIONITE

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 04:40:57 PM »

I liked Hellboy too, quality movie, the sequel was good too.

The first Blade was awesome and still has the best bad guy vamp since the Hammer Horror days, you know back when vampires actually killed people and died in sunlight instead of being the wimpy glistening little cry babies they are now.   ;D  Stephen Dorff was great as Deacon Frost and Snipes suited the part of Blade perfectly, great action and an awesome soundtrack too, doesn't look all that dated 12 years on either.
Blade 2 was pretty good, 3 wasn't all that great but Reynolds comic timing saved the whole movie, still waiting on the Hannibal King spinoff but that's highly unlikely.

The blade trilogy is mine and d fusioness' favourite trilogy! Awesome movies, though i agree the first is the best and the last is the worst.

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 06:25:57 PM »
like all good trilogy's .... except Terminator, the 2nd rules supreme .... and is no longer a trilogy >_<

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 06:54:47 PM »
Del Toro confirms "big games" THQ deal
Director's first project out in 2013 at the earliest

Acclaimed director, producer and screenwriter, Guillermo del Toro has confirmed that he is, indeed, working on a video game project with THQ.

"We're working together," the director told MTV. "Hopefully everything will come together in the next few days and we can formally announce it and so forth. But we are talking about huge games, huge world creation and long deadlines."

Fans of the HellBoy director's films will no doubt be excited to see what he comes up with then, but it sounds like it'll be a while before anything lands in the shops:

"With THQ we're looking at around a three year developing deadline for each game. Big games," he said. "More details forthcoming, but we are truly exploring them in a serious manner. Expect the first game, best case scenario, 2013."

Del Toro's reportedly been trying to pitch a game series since 2006, including "one called 'Sundown' that was eerily similar to 'Left 4 Dead,' which I adore and am addicted to, and in our household is considered a family game."

"I pitched another game that was not developed. That's the same one I pitched [to THQ]," he said. "They took to it immediately. More details forthcoming. I don't want to say everything because we're going to announce it soon. But again, long deadline."

The Hollywood man was, however, willing to offer some small details: "It's horror... but it's a very different type of horror game. It's not survival horror. It's truly a strange, geeky mix. It's a Lovecraftian thing. Let's leave it at that."

The deal was brokered by Hollywood veteran and THQ's core software boss Danny Bilson.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 05:43:37 AM »
del Toro disses games-as-art deniers

Fairy-tale film maker Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth, Hell Boy) is staunch in his belief that videogames are a form of art. People who refuse to accept that, he said, are "out of touch" and have "never f***ing played them".

"Videogames are the comic books of our time," del Toro blurted at a book reading in the US, recorded on YouTube. "It's a medium that gains no respect among the intelligentsia. They say, 'Oh, videogames...' And most people that complain about videogames have never f***ing played them."

"Videogames have proven to be incredibly immersive experiences, and not every game is a shooter game.

"... You will see that they are an art form and anyone saying differently is a little out of touch, because they are an art form.

"Like the way they say, 'Horror movies, they make the kids delinquent! Horror comics, they make the kids criminal!' Now it's videogames," he added. "It's all bulls**t."

del Toro talked of his love for shooter games, despite his "entirely anti-war" politics. Among the games he lauded were "masterpieces" ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, Gadget: Invention, Marathon, BioShock - "one of the most fully-realised worlds in any medium" and Half-Life.

We know del Toro is working with publisher THQ on a "Lovecraftian" horror game, although a full announcement is still forthcoming.

del Toro teased his book reading audience with a promise of a "really big, revolutionary, very different game". He said this is "a long-term commitment" for him, and an idea he's been trying to green-light for the last "three or four" years.

"I expect and hope to create what I would like to see in a videogame," del Toro shared. "The one thing I can say [about my movies] is that I'm doing them because no-one else is doing them. And the videogame is the same thing: I want to do that videogame in a way that no one else is doing."

We heard last week that this project won't be released until - "best case scenario" - 2013.

But which studio will develop it? Saints Row creator Volition? THQ core boss Danny Bilson hinted at as much earlier this month. And he said he'd support such an endeavour in "a big way".

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 09:41:06 AM »
it's great to have such a gaming advocate working on something that's bound to be as freaky and appealing as the games he loves so much like Bioshock and ICO etc

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 03:39:47 PM »
Guillermo Del Toro Wants To Make You 'sh*t Your Pants' With 'Insane'

Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth director Guillermo del Toro has officially named the game he's making with Saints Row and Red Faction developers Volition Inc. Del Toro's horror game is Insane and it's coming in 2013. See it teased now.

THQ exec veep Danny Bilson says on his Twitter account that Guillermo del Toro and THQ have been working on the title for six months. "Just finished the story beats yesterday," Bilson writes, calling the game a "horrific adventure."

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYe2-wWBHxA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYe2-wWBHxA</a>

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 06:28:54 AM »
Del Toro 'Insane' game will make players 'question their morality'
Guillermo del Toro drops hints to the nature of his mysterious THQ horror

Guillermo del Toro has said he wants people playing his new THQ game, titled 'Insane', to "question their own senses of morality and reality."

The game was announced and got a teaser trailer at the VGAs this weekend, but very little information was released. We know is its in development at Saint's Row studio Volition, will be released in 2013 and is going for a dark thriller/horror theme.

"With this new series of videogames, I want to take players to a place they have never seen before, where every single action makes them question their own senses of morality and reality," said del Toro about the game this weekend.

"THQ and Volition, Inc. are equally excited to make this vision of a completely new game universe into a reality," he added.

Early unconfirmed rumours compared the game to Mass Effect, claiming it'll focus on 'inter-dimensional travel, with the player tasked with investigating and checking open portals that must be closed'.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 07:10:00 AM »
THQ has 8-10 year plan for inSANE

Guillermo del Toro's planned inSANE trilogy will take between eight and ten years to build, publisher THQ has revealed.

Speaking to StuffWeLike on the red carpet at this weekend's Spike VGA event, core games VP Danny Bilson said, "This is an epic project. It's going to take the next eight to 10 years to build all three chapters of this game."

Del Toro added that developer Volition, Inc has been working on the first installment of the series for six months and won't be done for another two and a half years.

Best known for his movie work on the Hellboy series and Spanish-language horror classics like Pan's Labyrinth and The Devil's Backbone, del Toro also explained how he was planning to make the jump into the world of videogames.

"I think that what people need to understand, when you come from a medium like movies, is that the narrative medium of videogames is entirely different," he explained.

"The rules are different, the way you tell the story is different. You don't come into this world and try to apply the same rules. I'm here to learn and try some crazy sh*t."

Neither party has explicitly confirmed that there will be some kind of movie tie-in with the finished game, however, THQ did reveal yesterday that "potential transmedia projects surrounding the inSANE games" were in the planning stages.

THQ will own the intellectual property rights to the games while del Toro will hold the rights to any filmed products.

THQ, del Toro and Volition, Inc are readying inSANE for a 2013 launch on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Check out the info-light teaser trailer below for more.

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads