Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 37869 times)

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
Re: Microsoft's Next Console
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2012, 02:30:52 PM »
Cool.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2013, 11:23:24 AM »
Xbox 720 to be Announced Before E3 and Cost Around $400, Says Research Firm

The next Xbox will be announced before E3 in June, will cost around $400, come bundled with an improved Kinect set-up and launch in November this year, according to research group Baird Equity.

“Given the fragile state of the console game market, we expect the E3 trade show in June will take on added significance, most likely providing the industry with the first public opportunity to examine next-generation hardware,” wrote Baird’s Colin Sebastian in a note to investors.

“Our checks suggest that next-generation console hardware will be largely built from ‘off the shelf’ high-end PC components, along with hybrid physical/digital distribution models, enhanced voice controls and motion sensing (Kinect integration with every Xbox), and broad multi-media capabilities.”

“Moreover, a PC-based architecture (Intel chips in the case of Xbox) should have a number of advantages over custom-developed silicon: for one, the learning curve for software developers will be shorter than completely new technology. Second, the cost of production and retail price points should be lower than prior console launches,” he continued.

“Third, it will be easier to build online services around PC chip architecture, including flexible business models (free-to-play, subscriptions) and multi-media (over the top) content offerings. For Microsoft, this design will also allow for more integration with Windows 8 and Windows Mobile devices.”

The Xbox 360 launched in the US in 2005, the most expensive bundle of which was $399.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2013, 07:23:14 AM »
Edge sources: Next-gen Xbox games 'will require online connection'
Microsoft set to block second hand games sales, claims source

Next-gen Xbox games will require an internet connection in order to function and block second-hand use, according to a new Edge report.

Microsoft will move to make Xbox Live will an "integral" rather than "optional" feature of the next Xbox, with retail games made available for download, the next-gen expose in Edge's latest issue claims.

Physical boxed titles will remain on sale in shops via 50GB Blu-ray discs, but "activation codes" will require verification online, the report adds.

Once verified, sources claim discs will have "no function beyond the initial users - effectively eliminating the second-hand games market as it's currently known.

Edge's information is said to come form "sources with first-hand experience of Microsoft's next generation console."

"Given its experience with 70 million-plus 360 console stats, Microsoft has accumulated enough user data to make the decision to go online-only with its successive hardware one that adds up," the Edge report states.

"Microsoft's hand has been guided by the PC gaming landscape, and viewed through a particular lens it makes sense, even if unbelievers will take some convincing."

It adds: "Ultimately, Microsoft has asked itself a simple question: who wants to play games on a next-generation Xbox and yet doesn't have access to the internet? The answer: not enough to make a considerable difference."

The next Xbox, codename Durango, is said to utilise an AMD eight-core x64 1.6GHz CPU, a D3D11.x 800MHz graphics solution and 8GB of DDR3 RAM. As of now, the console's hard drive capacity is said to be undecided.

In the same report it's claimed that the next PlayStation will utilise an improved PlayStation Eye camera, redesigned controller and the ability to record and upload gameplay to the internet.

Both next-gen consoles are said to be set for release before this Christmas in North America, with the PS4 slipping to "early 2014" in Europe.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2013, 09:55:38 AM »
I just don't see how that's possible, given such a large % of game customers don't have Internet.  Contrary to popular belief, there are still a lot of people worldwide that still buy & play games offline.  It would be a huge risk losing those customers simply to fight a losing battle against piracy.

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
  • Some people drink Pepsi, some people drink Coke...
    • Time Zone: GMT -07
  • PSN: ZeroEquals
  • Steam: ZeroEquals
  • XBL: ZeroEquals
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2013, 01:48:21 PM »
I've heard this "solution" before and it still seems like conducting brain surgery with a wrench.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2013, 02:14:20 PM »
I just don't see how that's possible, given such a large % of game customers don't have Internet.  Contrary to popular belief, there are still a lot of people worldwide that still buy & play games offline.  It would be a huge risk losing those customers simply to fight a losing battle against piracy.

This is pretty much the reason that it won't happen I think, maybe in 10/15 years but not right now.  Massive error on MS's part if they do.

Offline Autarch Kade

• This post may contain nuts.
    • Time Zone: GMT -06
    • An interestingly accurate site
  • Steam: AutarchKade
  • XBL: Autarch Kade
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2013, 02:48:40 PM »
Honestly I would have figured something more along the lines of linking games to a console + Xbox Live profile.  So when I put in Halo 5, it'd register to my gamertag and console.  If I bring my disc to a friends house and play it in his console, I'd have to sign in with my gamertag.  If my friend comes over and plays my Halo 5 on my console, he can use his gamertag.  The Halo 5 disc wouldn't work in someone else's console without my gamertag though.

This would prevent used game sales that hurt developers while not really impacting gamers who buy their games much at all.  It wouldn't require a constant internet connection either.
I like my women how I like my coffee: ground up and in the freezer.

The doctors say his chances are 50/50... but there's only a 10% chance of that.

Offline Autarch Kade

« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2013, 08:09:53 PM »
Since Sony has stated that the PS4 has no backwards compatibility and might not even carry over PSN purchases from the PS3 to PS4, this leaves a massive advantage to Microsoft if they'll take it.

Microsoft's next console announcement will probably feature them stressing that they do have backwards compatibility, and emphasizing how easy it is.  The key to this is Windows 8.  Windows 8 is a reference point for their move from 360 Xbox Live to next Xbox Live.

If my computer is totally destroyed, and I plop a new shelf bought one down onto my desk that's also running Windows 8, I can easily get it back to how I had it.  Logging into Windows 8 from any hardware with the same user account (my hotmail credentials in my case) let's user settings, personalization, and purchased Apps automatically sync to the new hardware.

Now apply similar thinking to the next Xbox.  Log in with your current gamertag to a new Xbox, and the things you purchased, already enjoy such as friends list, privacy settings, user data, are already there and ready to go.  Previous purchases just work, and because the hardware architecture is supposedly similar, physical game discs work just fine as well.

If this is the case they will stress it a lot at their announcement - to exploit a weakness Sony has shown.

I also expect them to show the final look of the next Xbox.  If only to exploit another Sony shortcoming.

Another expectation I have is that Destiny will be a timed exclusive for Microsoft, but Sony will get whatever "exclusive content" may be.  Personally, I'd rather be much farther ahead on Destiny adventuring than have a Playstation emblem unlock when I finally get the game on PS4.

Expect further refinements to not only Kinect, but also Smartglass.  I'm expecting streaming to play a role at the reveal, since Microsoft hired so many OnLive staff members.  Illumiroom will likely be shown off as well, and a final commercial for the feature shown using only next Xbox titles and shown on TV.

Call of Duty announcements are likely, including not only that a new one is coming this year for launch, but that the next Xbox once again has exclusive or early DLC for it.

Expect surprises from a Microsoft new Xbox announcement event.

Price could come up, though I'm unsure if it'd happen.  If it does, Microsoft would be sure to have a price at most at 400 dollars.  Perhaps even two price points, such as 400 for a console, and 100 for a console with payments over time as they tried with the 360.  The key to the price reveal would be that Microsoft would be sure it'd be lower than Sony's price for a PS4.  If they know they're undercutting before a PS4 price is revealed, then that's a huge advantage.  Sony would have to change a price and lose more money per hardware sale, or announce after Microsoft a higher price as they did with the PS3.

I would expect a price announced to be mostly a move from Microsoft to counter Sony more than anything else.

I'm betting Xbox Live will continue to be a paid service, however I also believe PSN will require payment on PS4.  If it didn't require payment on PS4, that would have been announced already at the PS4 reveal.

It looks like April would be an announcement target for Microsoft.  Just long enough after Sony's announcement that their buzz has died down, and then Microsoft can steal the show.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2013, 04:39:29 PM »
Lots of great observations & predictions, Kade.

Personally, I'm in no hurry to jump into next-gen.  My 360 backlog is obscene.  Unless the next Xbox is fully backwards compatible, and there are aggressive incentives regarding trade-ins/upgrades, I plan to milk my 360 for all it's worth for the next year or two until they stop releasing 360-exclusives.

I don't want to repeat the same mistakes I made last-gen by stretching my focus too thin among too many consoles.  I will hold off on buying mult-gen crossover titles since I'll want to play the newer console versions.  This will guarantee a large library of older cheaper titles welcoming me to the new Xbox.   O0

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2013, 04:58:23 PM »
I bought the 360 on launch day and barely touched it for six months because I still had old xbox & PS2 games to finish, never been off it since!  :)

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2013, 05:51:41 PM »
I bought the 360 on launch day and barely touched it for six months because I still had old xbox & PS2 games to finish, never been off it since!  :)

I actually abandoned my Xbox and PS2 backlog when I bought the 360.  A decision I regret, and hopefully will not repeat.

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2013, 07:44:22 PM »

Personally, I'm in no hurry to jump into next-gen.  My 360 backlog is obscene.  Unless the next Xbox is fully backwards compatible, and there are aggressive incentives regarding trade-ins/upgrades, I plan to milk my 360 for all it's worth for the next year or two until they stop releasing 360-exclusives.

I don't want to repeat the same mistakes I made last-gen by stretching my focus too thin among too many consoles.  I will hold off on buying mult-gen crossover titles since I'll want to play the newer console versions.  This will guarantee a large library of older cheaper titles welcoming me to the new Xbox.   O0

Truth b dat! -

I've got a lesser backlog than I'm sure you have Neato, but it's steadily climbing up in numbers, plus there's a list of games I haven't purchased on account of waiting for "Complete Editions" (I'm looking at you Skyrim & Sleeping DOgs!) to be released.

Regardless I'm sure I'll have enough to hold me over until the unavoidable and bankable set of bugs and hardware issues are ironed out.

I didn't pick up the Xbox 360 on launch, but I remember the grumblings from friends and family about disc-read errors and RROD's on the day-one consoles. Some of them, just completely gave up on the system on account of that whole cluster-f*ck. I waited about a year and, still experienced those issues, which I managed to get sorted out after a long ordeal with Microsoft Support, but damn if I'm going to assure myself of going through that again.

So patience and the backlog of great games out there will keep my gaming needs satiated for the time being.  :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 07:51:11 PM by zerosum »

Offline Autarch Kade

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2013, 03:22:47 PM »
IF the next Xbox has seamless and easy backwards compatibility with everything the Xbox 360 offers for games, then it'd make sense to buy one sooner.  If they go the Sony PS4 route, better to wait.  After all, trading in a Xbox 360 for the next one, or a PS3 for a PS4 would be great to reduce the cost of the next purchase.  It's downside is you no longer have the console.  So if Microsoft eliminates that downside through compatibility then I can see more people making earlier purchases of the next Xbox.

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2013, 01:15:52 AM »
@ 2013 GDC, Activision shows off a demo of what might be possible on the next generation of consoles:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2GhOLHzI1c" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2GhOLHzI1c</a>

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2013, 11:35:41 AM »
Gamestop hails "compelling" next gen Xbox, Microsoft is "doing some really cool stuff"
Retailer CEO doesn't believe next gen consoles will undersell current gen

Gamestop CEO Mark Raines is a hallowed person, touched by the divine; like EA's Frank Gibeau, he's among the Elect who have Lain Their Mortal Eyes upon the next generation Xbox console. First impressions? All good, it seems.

"We've been spending a lot of time with Microsoft, but we have to let them take the lead on this, but it will be a very hot, compelling device," Raines told GamesIndustry in an interview. "They are doing some really cool stuff, and I'm eager to hear them start their announcements because I think the world is going to stand up and take notice."

The news should be some reassurance to those troubled by rumours that the new machine will include an online code system designed to block pre-owned - Gamestop has already publicly warned Microsoft off the idea, and it's possible the CEO's breezy comments today reflect a change of tune at Xbox HQ. Raines is also upbeat about console hardware in general, pooh-poohing suggestions that the next Xbox and PS4 will struggle in a market infested by browser and mobile software.

"We don't subscribe to that," he told the site. "The cool thing with GameStop is, we've got a lot of gamers here and we've got a lot of people [on the team] who've seen every console cycle. And what's interesting to me - I was talking to one of our founders, Dan DeMatteo, and he was telling me every console cycle you get people who will say 'there will never be another console,' or 'what else can the consoles do?'

"And we just believe it's a cycle and we just haven't had a new product in so long. But we certainly don't believe that the new consoles won't be as exciting. There's a lot of demand for PS4, and I think there will be for the next Xbox as well, once it's announced."

Nor is Raines troubled by what the growth of digital bodes for Gamestop's brick and mortar business. "We don't think digital is going to replace retail. I know everybody likes to get worked up and dream about a world without stores and all that, but our point of view is that consumers want both," he explained. Right now, about seven percent of GameStop's revenues are from digital, but most of them are bought in store.

"People will come to our store and buy BioShock and then they'll also buy season pass DLC or a Steam download, or they might go play on Kongregate. We think there's a place for both, and one of the things that's important to recognize is technology is important but chronology is also important, and consumers just aren't ready to go massively digital yet.

"And when they are, we're creating the business deals that will support that. Will streaming be the killer app that kills retail? It sure hasn't looked like that yet." Sounds like he's been reading our fascinating, penetrating piece on why the industry isn't ready for a digital-only Xbox 720, doesn't it?

An earnings call transcript picked up by Videogamer offers a few further dribbles of insight - in the words of president Tony Bartlet (not to be confused with Martin Sheen's character off the West Wing, sadly), "we also have knowledge of the [next Xbox], but I'd rather that be out in the public before we discuss our digital goals for 2014." Gamestop is "making broad assumptions about launches within the guidance," according to CFO Robert Lloyd, "as we do not have launch date information for quantities, prices or available software."

A picture to play us out. The image below is what Call of Duty's face could look like, given access to appropriately powerful hardware. I am so very scared.

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads