Author Topic: Assassin's Creed  (Read 950 times)

Offline Legion

• Geth do not -intentionally- infiltrate
    • http://www.google.co.uk
  • XBL: Istvan Kovacs
Assassin's Creed
« on: January 01, 2011, 03:25:42 PM »
I'm probably at about the halfway pouint now, and it seems that I've just been doing the same thing over and over and over and over and over and etc. Climbing the same tower to sync/find free missions, fighting the same guards to save the same citizen who uses the same thank you phrase as the last citizen just in a different voice. There is no cohesive story aside from, 'dem gaiz is bad, kil dem nao 4 me plz'. The combat system consists of just attack attack counter attack, the only thing about it that takes any skill is timing the button presses for the counter attacks/dodges/grab breaks.
The controls are horrific to say the least. When free running you have to hold both RT and A to sprint, which leaves no finger free (unless you're a contortionist) to operate the right stick to alter the camera so you can see whether or not you're going to run into a wall while trying to escape from the repetetive and boring combat.
The only reason I'm still playing it is because I paid money for it. HOW did this game gain any popularity with anyone, anywhere? And can I expect the exact same thing from AC2, or are there some actual improvements to make it less mind numbing?

Offline Jaynestown

• Forum Moderator
  • Way Beyond Awesome
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me!
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • XBL: Jaynestown
Re: Assassin's Creed
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 03:45:15 PM »
Yay, I have found someone else who doesn't like Assassin's Creed, I agree 100% with everything you said :) The 2nd one is pretty much the same, I gave up on both of them because they were both so tedious and repetitive.

Shall we start a "I hate Assassin's Creed" club? ;)

Thank god for the new Tomb Raider, helped me de-stress after a tough week! More of the same please

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 06:24:05 AM »
I liked the first one but got bored of the repetitive missions pretty quickly, I played on because I enjoyed the story, went back to it a year or so later to try and find all the flags and kill all the Templars but just couldn't be bothered.  Assassin's Creed 2 is a big improvement for me.

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 06:25:00 AM »
I like them and will probs play ACB sometime in the future.

Offline sambo

• Greatness Personified
  • No cuts, no buts, no coconuts?
  • Last.fm: sambomaher
  • XBL: ox SAMBO xo
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 08:16:21 AM »
I never played the first game so I cant comment on it, But I loved the second game, Assassin's Creed 2 is one of my favourite games on the 360.

Offline Legion

• Geth do not -intentionally- infiltrate
    • http://www.google.co.uk
  • XBL: Istvan Kovacs
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 08:40:24 AM »
Looks like it's just you an me JT (Firefly is the BEST American sci-fi show) everyone else has been sucked in by the ... suck.
I don't understand how people can like it though. Once you've finished the first mission in Damascus you've pretty much completed the ENTIRE game. In less than an hour. I can understand that the game definitely has a LOT of potential, but Ubisoft didn't capitaise on any of it. Would it've killed them to add just one free mission that didn't involve saving a generic citizen from imminent r*pe?

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 08:47:56 AM »
Looks like it's just you an me JT (Firefly is the BEST American sci-fi show) everyone else has been sucked in by the ... suck.
I don't understand how people can like it though. Once you've finished the first mission in Damascus you've pretty much completed the ENTIRE game. In less than an hour. I can understand that the game definitely has a LOT of potential, but Ubisoft didn't capitaise on any of it. Would it've killed them to add just one free mission that didn't involve saving a generic citizen from imminent r*pe?

Firefly is bloody awesome, i'm with you all the way on that.   :)

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
  • Some people drink Pepsi, some people drink Coke...
    • Time Zone: GMT -07
  • PSN: ZeroEquals
  • Steam: ZeroEquals
  • XBL: ZeroEquals
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 09:46:28 PM »
You have to remember that at the time that AC was released, GTA IV was just about to hit the market. In 2007, Assassin's Creed was probably the first game to showcase this kind of tech, in such a glossy package on the XBox 360. I think that's what initially sold people on the game, a visually striking, GTA-type game with added stealth elements  (that and some really well rounded marketing).

I don't think I can defend the game as a whole as the missions get pretty repetetive and the storyline doesn't help drive the action along much. I still wish they would have delved more into the Abstergo world or that they had kept it away and delayed the reveal of what was going on behind the scenes to a later portion of the game.

By today's standards (yes, a whole 4+ years later), it's a bit dated and maybe even antiquated. The simplistic combat scheme, lack of story and mission depth were no doubt this game's Achilles' heel. I almost feel like Assassin's Creed was more of a building block or a foundation than a complete game.

Assassin's Creed 2 was a definite improvement and feels more complete, with a more character centralized storyline (based around Ezio) - more varied mission structures, side-quests, mini-games and varied weaponry.

I can't vouch for Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, I haven't played it and don't know where they went with the Single Player campaign. Yet, I'm somewhat interested in what it may offer.

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 03:49:41 AM »
If you played AC1 when it first came out, you probably have more love for it than if you played it now. When a lot of what it did has been copied and improved on.

Offline Kyuubi

• Super Dooper Member
    • Blind 100
  • XBL: KyuubiKitsuni
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 04:35:04 AM »
AC1 broke a mould but now does look dated.
I think I still have it but only because it's not worth trading in if honest (although might have a clear out at some point.....)

AC2 went a little further as it had a few more things to do, the free running is better and there was less of the samey ness....that said it still gets repetatitve from time to time so unless you look to rent this one Legion, I doubt you will enjoy it so don't buy it!!
Don't get me wrong though, still a good game and if honest an easy 1000g for score whoring I felt, I just don't have it as I couldn't be bothered to get all the feathers.......

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 05:26:27 AM »
The best way to get the feathers is to collect all the ones you can when you enter a new area, it's the first thing i did and broke up the monotomy of having to collect them all in one go at the end.

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads