Author Topic: So You Don't Like The PS3 Controller ...  (Read 3728 times)

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
So You Don't Like The PS3 Controller ...
« on: August 20, 2009, 03:10:39 PM »
Neither do I.

Now that the PS3 Slim is coming out, and I will likely be buying one, I remember how much I hated the PS3 controller.  This is perhaps one of the biggest reasons I never played my PS3 when I used to own one.

Now, I'm aware you can install a Linux-based OS on a PS3, which gives you the freedom to actually install an official Xbox 360 controller, but this is something I do not wish to do.  I've already softmodded my Wii for emulation because I could give a rat's ass if I end up breaking it.  The PS3, however, is something I would like to take care of.

That's why I've been on a search for a Xbox360-esque "clone" controller that's compatible with the PS3.  So far I have found 2 possible alternatives.

First is the Saitek P3600 Cyborg

The Saitek Cyborg is a 99% replica of the Xbox 360 controller.  A very interesting "twist" is that you can reverse the D-Pad / Left Analog to replicate the layout of either a Xbox 360 or PS3 controller.  Very nice.  The main flaw with this controller is that it is actually out-of-production.  Saitek has released a new Cyborg controller, but it is NOT compatible with the PS3, so be careful.  There are a lot of the older models available to purchase online, but you may want to buy fast since a lot of people will probably be doing the same thing.

Next we have the MadCatz PC/Mac Controller

Unlike the Saitek Cyborg, this controller has fewer features but is still in production.  You can also buy this one for far less than the Saitek Cyborg.  It lacks the reversable controls, but I don't plan on using that feature anyways.  If you end up not being able to find a Saitek Cyborg, the MadCatz will get the job done.

Both of these are standard PC controllers, which mean you will not have six-axis or guide-button controls.  It also means that neither will work with your Xbox 360.  They are both wired controllers, so you'll need to buy a cheap USB extention cable if you sit far away from your console.

If anyone happens to know about any other Xbox360 "clone" controllers that will work on the PS3, please post here.   ;D

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
Re: So You Don't Like The PS3 Controller ...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 12:51:10 AM »
I found a third contestant.

The Dreamgear Shadow

This is an actual wireless controller (USB dongle required).  It's a little more expensive than the Saitek Cyborg, but for wireless it may be worth it.  This model does not support six-axis controls, but Dreamgear did release the Shadow 6 that does for a few more dollars (pounds).

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 10:17:56 AM »
In case anyone was interested in any of the above, I have tried them all.

I bought each of the above controllers, only to swiftly return each of them.  None of them come close to the comfort and sturdiness of the 360 controller.

The MadCatz controller feels more like a GameCube controller than a 360 controller.

The Cyborg is a hollow piece of plastic that feels like it's going to break in your hands.  The analog sticks also are not very responsive, making slight/accurate movements (like sniping) impossible.

The Shadow was the best out of the 3, but it feels exactly like the PS3 controller.  Same slippery triggers.  Same rounded (ugh!) analog sticks.  The Shadow is basically a PS3 controller with the left analog and d-pad repositioned.  No thank you.

I ended up buying XCM Cross Battle Plus adapter, which allows you to use an actual wired 360 controller on your PS3.

This adapter is amazing.  It experiences no delay/lag in controls.  All motion and button inputs are 100% accurate.  It even includes "turbo" switches that can be assigned to any button.

The only drawback of the adapter is that it does not support Sixaxis controls.  This hasn't been a problem for me, since I haven't played a game that requires Sixaxis yet, other than the Killzone 2 demo.  If I ever do encounter a game that requires Sixaxis, I have a PS3 controller collecting dust.

If you want to use a 360 controller AND must have Sixaxis support, XCM has made an upgraded adapter called the K.O. Gear.

It says it supports Sixaxis, but I'm not sure how.  I'm guessing it can remap the Sixaxis controls to your analog sticks?  Either way, the K.O. Gear is more expensive than the Cross Battle Plus, so I went the thrifty route.  So far I have no complaints.   ;D

Offline ApocalysePony

• XBL: ApocalysePony
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 04:59:32 PM »
Anyone could have told you ''Madcatz'' products are garbage lol but that must have been a nightmare going at every controller and not even picking one in the end. sorry bro lol but glad you problem was squashed. :-)

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 05:34:35 PM »
If you want to use a 360 controller AND must have Sixaxis support, XCM has made an upgraded adapter called the K.O. Gear.

It says it supports Sixaxis, but I'm not sure how.  I'm guessing it can remap the Sixaxis controls to your analog sticks?  Either way, the K.O. Gear is more expensive than the Cross Battle Plus, so I went the thrifty route.  So far I have no complaints.   ;D

UPDATE:  I have since upgraded to the K.O. Gear (with Sixaxis support).  I was correct in my assumption that the Sixaxis controls are remapped to the analogue sticks.  It works quite well, and I'm happy.   :)

I still have the XCM Cross Battle (w/o Sixaxis support) available for trade on CAG.  If anyone is interested, let me know.

Offline MumseyFish

• Facebook Page
  • PSN: MumseyFish
  • XBL: Mumsey Fish, Squishary
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 03:52:51 PM »
Thanks so much for this.  I just bought a ps3 and can barely stand to use the controller.  This will make my life SO much better!

Offline MumseyFish

• Facebook Page
  • PSN: MumseyFish
  • XBL: Mumsey Fish, Squishary
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 04:36:53 PM »
I just ordered it. Can't wait!  :)

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 11:01:53 AM »
 :D

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads