Linked Events

• Free Comic Book Day: May 05, 2020

Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 16954 times)

Offline Lukehi

• Forum Moderator
  • Super Dooper Member
  • Elle <3 Jacob
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: Lukehi
  • XBL: Lukehi
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2011, 08:02:51 AM »
Little article over at Empire, which X-Men characters should/could be brought to future films.

Nice little read, if a little brief.

Putting the "stud" back in Bible Study

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2011, 04:16:01 PM »
Little article over at Empire, which X-Men characters should/could be brought to future films.

Nice little read, if a little brief.

Interesting, but some of their choices are a little questionable.  Also, where are the villians?  I want Apocalypse!

Offline Kyuubi

• Super Dooper Member
    • Blind 100
  • XBL: KyuubiKitsuni
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2011, 11:29:44 AM »
I get some of them but Keira Knightly??

Seriously?

I agree with you too Neato, Apocalypse would be such as good baddie! and one they can keep bringing back if they needed to as well!

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2011, 09:04:49 AM »

Offline donnieoneshot

• Children of the night. What music they make.
  • Last.fm: donnieoneshot
  • XBL: donnieoneshot
« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2012, 01:37:03 PM »
Now for some Awesomeness!!!!!

Computer animator Michael Habjan has created a series of short clips depicting a battle between The Man of Steel (modeled after Christopher Reeve of course) vs. The Hulk.  So far, Habjan has completed three very impressive installments of his epic battle.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6dj7YCEKhw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6dj7YCEKhw</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbizTBYs-rQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbizTBYs-rQ</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDBNB2hk5t0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDBNB2hk5t0</a>

Not looking too good for the Man of Steel.  But that’s usually when Superman is at his best.  Superman and the Hulk have tussled a couple of times in comics in spite of being in opposite universes.  The first time was in 1996′s DC vs. Marvel mini-series.  Fans voted on the outcome and (correctly) voted Superman the winner.  However, that same mini-series depicted Wolvering beating Lobo which is obviously ridiculous (am I right?).  So, Superman’s victory seems less that definitive.

Then the pair faced off again in 1999′s Incredible Hulk vs. Superman.  I haven’t read this cross-over issue although I hear it’s quite good.  (spoiler for a comic that’s over a decade old)   I’ve also heard the ending is more or less a draw.

So, Mr. Habjan, it falls to you to do what Hollywood and comics have thus far failed to do.  I am of course speaking of the necessity to depict Superman’s definitive victory of the green giant of the Marvel universe.  I hope you’re up to the task in future installments.

Source: http://lebeauleblog.wordpress.com/
[/url]

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2012, 02:09:52 PM »
Holy crap on a stick.  I have the weirdest boner right now.   ;D

Not looking too good for the Man of Steel.  But that’s usually when Superman is at his best. 

Ain't that the truth.  My description of every epic Superman fight:

Bad guy causes destruction.
Superman say, "Hey, dude.  Stop it."
Bad guy beats the crap out of Superman.
Bad guy beats more crap out of Superman.
Superman goes limp.
Superman opens his eyes and remembers that he's F***ING SUPERMAN!
Superman wins.

Offline donnieoneshot

• Children of the night. What music they make.
  • Last.fm: donnieoneshot
  • XBL: donnieoneshot
« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2012, 02:32:50 PM »

Bad guy causes destruction.
Superman say, "Hey, dude.  Stop it."
Bad guy beats the crap out of Superman.
Superman goes limp.
Superman opens his eyes and remembers that he's F***ING SUPERMAN!
Superman wins.

You just wrote the perfect script for the new Superman movie Neato !!!  If the movie is anything like that you should sue for royalties!!!!
[/url]

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2012, 02:42:10 PM »
 ;)

Offline Smithk4

• PSN: Smithk4
  • XBL: Nursingtitan84
« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2012, 05:17:48 AM »
Spiderman, Ironman & The Hulk vs Sentinels

Part 1:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19otJ7DJURQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19otJ7DJURQ</a>

Part 2:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fccdH43zunM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fccdH43zunM</a>

Part 3:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69AojBan3o4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69AojBan3o4</a>

Short but worth a watch!

[/url]
You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!!

Offline Smithk4

« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2012, 08:13:05 AM »
Every Marvel Comic Now Comes with a Digital Copy

Marvel announced today that every one of its $4 superhero comics is now going to come with a code to download the digital version to the Marvel app, which is available on every major platform.

The digital code in a physical book model first started with The Avenging Spider-Man last year, and it was popular enough right off the bat that what was a one-issue experiment was immediately extended to the whole series. Fans have been complaining for a long time about the relative insanity of paying $4 per comic book, and digital's been threatening to shutter brick and mortar comic shops as well. This is a nice way to appease both sets.

http://marvel.com/news/story/18254/top-selling_marvel_comics_to_receive_free_digital_codes

[/url]
You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!!

Offline Sload

• Weeeeiiijjjj o.o
    • Time Zone: GMT +01
  • Last.fm: Sload
  • Steam: Sload89
  • XBL: Sload
« Reply #100 on: August 19, 2012, 10:13:58 PM »
I have spent the last few weeks reading through The Walking Dead,  just finished issue #101 last night. All I can say is wow.

Offline Smithk4

« Reply #101 on: October 19, 2012, 11:42:03 AM »
Heirs of Superman artist can't reclaim their copyright, judge rules
Man of Steel doesn't meet termination requirements, remains a DC Comics property.

It took two years of court wrangling, but DC Comics ultimately found the legal kryptonite to shut down an attempt by the heirs of a Superman co-creator to recapture rights to the heroic character. Because of an agreement they signed in 1992, the family of artist Joe Shuster won't be able to claim the "Man of Steel" as their own.

The Superman battle is one of the most closely watched battles over copyright "termination," a process through which artists can take back the rights to their old works. Such termination notices are allowed by Congress as part of the 1976 Copyright Act, and Shuster's heirs hoped the law would allow them to take back the character that he and writer Jerry Siegel created in 1938.

Siegel, Shuster, and their heirs still made plenty of money off the comic book hero from Krypton—about $4 million since 1975, according to the judge's order [PDF] released yesterday.

Copyright termination essentially allows artists, musicians, and other creators to "undo" any deal they agreed to that transfers their copyrights to another person or company... as long as they wait 35 years first. The idea is that struggling artists who create a blockbuster work may have signed away rights at a time when they didn't have the leverage to negotiate a good deal. Through the termination clause, Congress gave such artists, or their heirs, the right to re-capture ownership of their most popular works.

The termination battles are heating up now, because 2013 is the year when the first 'round' of works from 1978 are up for grabs.

The victory for DC comics clears the company from legal burdens when it launches a new Superman movie, Man of Steel, onto the big screen next year.

The judge's reasoning in this case: copyright termination can only apply to pre-1978 deals. But after co-creator Joe Shuster passed away in 1992, his brother Frank and sister Jean Peavy signed a deal with DC Comics that would cover Shuster's debts and pay Jean Peavy $25,000 a year for life (Shuster had no wife or kids, so his siblings are his legal heirs.)

That 1992 deal ultimately earned Peavy more than $600,000, and DC Comics' lawyers argued it supersedes any earlier deal. The judge ultimately agreed: because of its late date,  it can't be overturned using the copyright termination rules.

How much should an artist earn for creating an icon?

The creators of the famous comic hero were hardly impoverished. As the order details, even back in the 1940s Shuster and Siegel stood to make about $2 million. The co-creators filed their first lawsuit against DC Comics in 1947, but settled the following year, acknowledging that DC owned "all rights in Superman."

In 1975, they signed an agreement with DC that provided "lump sums of $75,000 each, lifetime annual payments of $80,000 each per year, survivor payments to their heirs, and insurance coverage, as well as 'credits' on new Superman works," according to the order. All told, the Siegels and Shusters were paid about $4 million under the 1975 agreement, not including medical benefits, according to the judge's calculations (which adjusts all the figures for inflation, converting them to today's dollars).

After Shuster died in 1992, his sister Jean Peavy struck a deal with DC to get $25,000 per year. She also asked DC for additional money each year, noting that she wasn't going to try to reclaim the copyright in court like Siegel's heirs had done: "I want you to know that I intend to continue to honor our pension agreement," wrote Peavy. "I would, however, appreciate a generous bonus for this year as you had done many times in the past."

Between 1993 and 2001, DC paid Peavy bonuses between $10,000 and $25,000 on eight different occasions, all the while making its position clear that it had no legal obligation to do so. In 2003, Peavy's son Mark Warren Peary (born Peavy) moved to terminate the copyright anyhow.

In court papers (PDF), DC Comics lawyers say their client took care of Jean Peavy and continue to pay her every year as promised. However, in 2003, her son Mark Warren Peary worked with a lawyer and "intervened to disrupt the family’s longtime contract with DC," wrote lawyers representing DC Comics.

To bolster their case, the Shusters pointed to a 2008 decision in which the daughter of the writer of the novel Lassie Come Home was able to terminate a copyright grant. The judge found there was "no ambiguity" in the 1992 agreement, and noted that unlike the Lassie Come Home situation, the Superman heirs were aware of the copyright termination rights, and were in fact able to obtain hundreds of thousands of dollars in benefits from their deal.

The Shusters' attorney, Marc Toberoff, declined to comment today on the order. In court papers, he argued the Shusters were a textbook case of what Congress intended when it allowed for copyright termination. He said the purpose of the process was to "enhance the authors' position," and give creators some leverage that would prevent "exploitation" by publishers.

The original 1938 agreement signed by Siegel and Shuster, without the aid of a lawyer, "would later be held to have granted Superman to DC for $130," wrote Toberoff. It wasn't until 1975—under pressure from a national cartoonists' group—that Warner Bros. (parent company of DC Comics) agreed to pay Siegel and Shuster "a modest pension." The company was worried about negative publicity, he wrote.

The party attempting to recapture the copyright in this case is Pacific Pictures Corporation, a joint venture owned by Toberoff and the Shuster heirs. Toberoff also represents the heirs of some other well-known artists engaged in battles over copyright terminations. His clients include the children of Jack Kirby, who created some of Marvel Comics' most famous characters; and the children of Ray Charles, who are seeking to reclaim copyright on 51 of the artist's songs.

[/url]

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2012, 02:03:09 PM »
Interesting stuff.

The Shuster family got a good deal from DC, but I can't blame them for trying to get a little more while the Superman movie hype-machine is in full force.

At least Shuster and his family have continuously benefited in some form from his creation.  The same can't be said for Bill Finger (co-creator of Batman and Joker).  I think DC did eventually make things right with the Finger family after his death, but it still makes me sad knowing Bill died poor and nameless while Bob Kane died rich and famous.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2012, 03:56:17 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDpXu4j7ibM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDpXu4j7ibM</a>

Offline TaraJayne

• Way Beyond Awesome
  • Twitter: TaraJayne360
  • Last.fm: TaraJayne360
  • XBL: TaraJayne
« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2012, 12:34:43 PM »
What a good movie. I do like a bit of Deadpool. I have just started reading the comics again, digitally of course  :)
Can't wait for Shenmue 3

I hate jokes that rely on visual imagery.

I've had it right up to here with them.

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads