Author Topic: Using a 'Passport' Hard Drive as a 360 HDD.  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
Using a 'Passport' Hard Drive as a 360 HDD.
« on: January 12, 2012, 07:56:25 AM »
Someone who's far more competent and technical minded explain to me how to, if i can, use my shiny new 500GB Passport HDD on my olde 360.

I looked on the internet, but it's a deluge of selling, random crap and thoughtless forum posting. I'm disillusioned on how hateful the net can be when i want to find something useful. So i know i can trust one of you can save me.

edit: I want to be able to move all my Arcade games (about 120 of them) to the external HDD and play them off that rather than the standard 360 HDD.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 08:47:38 AM by Failed »

Offline BackupLight

• Last.fm: OutwardSix
  • XBL: BackupLight
Re: Using a 'Passport' Hard Drive as a 360 HDD.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 02:49:09 PM »
I might be full of lies here Failed but, I think, you could do it the same as you can with a USB Stick. A friend of mine said they had to plug in their stick, go into the console's system settings and it "prepares" it to accept Xbox content. Stolen from somewhere else:

* How do I configure my USB storage device?
Using a compatible flash drive over 1 GB, you can reserve a maximum of 16 GB for profiles, game saves, and downloadable content. To use USB storage, you'll need to configure it first. Plug it in and go to System Settings, Memory, then select your device to start setting it up. More info …
* Where can I buy USB storage devices that work on my Xbox 360?
For a seamless and optimal experience, we would recommend you purchase the pre-configured Xbox 360 branded SanDisk USB Flash Drive, which will be available for sale soon. Link to
* What if I don’t want to erase all the data on my USB storage device, what are my options?
Use the Customize option to choose the amount of space you would like to use on your device. Choosing this option will retain all of your existing content.

Slow performance

* I'm getting a "Performance Warning” message, what does that mean?
If your device doesn't meet Xbox 360 performance recommendations, you may experience significant performance problems playing games from the device or saving games and profiles to it. Buy an Xbox 360-branded USB Flash Drive to ensure optimal performance. More info …

Device compatibility

* I'm getting a "Can't Configure" message, what does that mean?
Your device cannot be used with the USB storage device due to data loss and performance issues. The data loss test checks for speed and integrity of the memory on your specific device. If there are any issues, it will fail the text. More info …
* This USB storage device works just fine on my PC, but why doesn’t it work on my Xbox 360?
If the USB storage device does not work at all, then there was a problem accessing the device (for example, it is faulty or write-protected) or it failed the Xbox 360 integrity check. If the USB storage device is configured, but a performance warning is displayed, it’s due to the Xbox 360 requiring a higher level of sustained performance than most PC uses.

Frequently asked questions

* Why does Xbox 360 only support 16GB of storage, even though I have a much larger device?
Supporting USB storage devices up to 16GB in size is a huge increase in storage over any solid state memory storage solutions currently available for Xbox 360. Users that need more storage have options in the Xbox 360 hard drives, which are available for purchase separately.

* Why do I only see 1.5GB available on my USB storage device, but my device is 2GB in size?
The Xbox 360 reserves 512MB of storage for system use.
* What other storage options do I have?
The Xbox 360 250GB Hard Drive, available separately, is the best option for media enthusiasts. You'll have plenty of space for games, HD TV and movies, Games on Demand, game demos and add-ons, music, and much more.

*Performance of non-Xbox 360 branded USB Flash Drives will vary based on quality, speed, and performance of the specific drive. Some may not provide a recommended level of performance. The system will recognize up to 16GB of available space on a connected device, even if the drive is larger in size.

Offline donnieoneshot

• Children of the night. What music they make.
  • Last.fm: donnieoneshot
  • XBL: donnieoneshot
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 05:42:19 AM »
I think Backup is right, as far as I know 16GB is the max unless you want to modify your xbox. 
[/url]

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 11:02:33 AM »
goddammit ... suppose ima have to stump for a 250GB HDD. Suppose i could sell this 500GB drive, Amazon says it's worht £70 *shocks*

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
  • Some people drink Pepsi, some people drink Coke...
    • Time Zone: GMT -07
  • PSN: ZeroEquals
  • Steam: ZeroEquals
  • XBL: ZeroEquals
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 11:47:07 AM »
Just throwing something out there. But if 16gb is the max - theoretically, couldn't you just split the drive into 16gb partitions through Windows prior to installing?

I know it wouldn't be practical to have 30+ partitions, (I'm thinking the Xbox360 might freak out at having to recognize 30+ devices) but for the sake of argument... ya know.  ;)

Offline donnieoneshot

• Children of the night. What music they make.
  • Last.fm: donnieoneshot
  • XBL: donnieoneshot
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 01:01:03 PM »
Pretty sure it'll only recognise one partition, worth a try though
[/url]

Offline Windedprism

• Baile Atha Cliath
  • Super Dooper Member
  • 2011 GAA Senior Football Champions
  • Last.fm: windedprism
  • XBL: Windedprism
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 09:41:07 PM »
16gb is the limit and the device must be prepared by the xbox so there's no way around it. I would so be on that with a terradrive if it was possible.
<a href="http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator" alt="bf3 forum sigs">[/url]

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads