Author Topic: Bungie 'saddened' by Xbox Live closure  (Read 1557 times)

Offline TaraJayne

• Way Beyond Awesome
  • Twitter: TaraJayne360
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: TaraJayne360
  • XBL: TaraJayne
Bungie 'saddened' by Xbox Live closure
« on: February 06, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
Developer Bungie has expressed its disappointment at Microsoft's decision to end Xbox Live support for original Xbox titles.

The studio issued a statement saying that it is "saddened" by the demise of multiplayer support for Halo 2. Players have until April to play the game online before its servers are shut down.

"Halo 2 fans take note - you have ten weeks left to play multiplayer games over Xbox Live before the service will be discontinued," read the statement.

"We're all saddened at the realisation that an era is coming to an end but looking back, we're incredibly fortunate to have had such a great run and such strong support from our fans. Halo 2 has been at or near the top of the Xbox Live charts for original games since it launched over five years ago."

Microsoft announced yesterday that Xbox Live functionality will cease for original Xbox games on April 15.

Halo 2 is my favourite of the series but then I will just play it on windows live :)
Can't wait for Shenmue 3

I hate jokes that rely on visual imagery.

I've had it right up to here with them.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
Re: Bungie 'saddened' by Xbox Live closure
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 10:50:52 PM »
I just heard about the closure today.  I had a nostalgia moment, but it passed.

Halo 2 specifically is still available as a PC game w/ online support (as TJ mentioned).  And for the hardcore Original Xbox gamers that refuse to move forward, there is still XBConnect which uses in-game LAN support to mimic online play via PC connection.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 06:04:01 AM »
Wasn't Halo 2 the reason why we have limited Friend's Lists on the 360? So maybe now we can have more.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 04:54:57 AM »
Bungie giving Halo 2 "one last hoorah"

Bungie's organising a send-off for Halo 2 a day before Microsoft shuts off Xbox Live support for Xbox 1 games.

On 14th April, those of you with all of the Halo 2 maps released so far will be treated to "one last hoorah".

"We're all saddened at the realisation that an era is coming to an end but looking back, we're incredibly fortunate to have had such a great run and such strong support from our fans," a statement on Bungie's website read.

"Halo 2 has been at or near the top of the Xbox live charts for original games since it launched over five years ago.  We're extremely thankful to everyone who has played, enjoyed and supported Halo 2 over Xbox Live.  We've had some great fun together, including far too many humpday losses to even recount.

"That said," the developer added, "mark your calendars now - on April 14th let's all rally to go online for one last hoorah. One final farewell and one final opportunity for all of you to kick our asses at Halo 2."

Frustratingly, anyone without the full compliment of Halo 2 maps - including DLC - will be unable to play. And that DLC can no longer be downloaded from Xbox Live, making the retail-released map disk the only option should you be able to find it.

Bungie's aware of this and trying to find a solution.

"On it. Not sure what, if any, solution we can work out, but we definitely can't adjust the playlists over the weekend. Sit tight," wrote the developer on its forum.

Halo 2 was released in 2004 and earned 9/10 on Eurogamer - one whole point better than its predecessor.

NeuroticSarge

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 12:15:28 PM »
I bought Halo 2 just to see what the fuss was about.Played it for about 5 mins then it went back into the cupboard.Blah!

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 03:43:04 PM »
I'm up for Halo 2.

I wonder if I still have the DLC maps downloaded.  I'm not sure they survived my transition to my new 250GB Modern Warfare console.   ???

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 05:56:25 AM »

Astrex

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 06:07:51 AM »
I might have to get on and play Halo2 one more time... Damn I put a lot of hours into Halo2  :'(

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 09:47:19 AM »
We're not sure how one becomes "loyal".

I'm following this at xbox.com.  There are some very unclear stipulations to this offer that no one seems to understand.

Personally, I played Halo 2 as recently as this past February 11th.  I never received an email for this offer.   :'(

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 05:21:03 AM »
if you go on Bungie.net you can see your Halo 2, 3 or ODST online history. It also shows how many games you've played. So it's possible that they go on that or maybe how long spent ingame.

Aslong as your online when you play, they can just pull your stats off Bugie.net and see who were loyal. They could even see how loyal people have been over the last 6 months by checking how many MP games they've clocked up or their SP time.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 06:12:02 AM »
Fourteen Halo 2 Fans Refuse to Let It Die

Lots of people continued playing Halo 2 past the midnight deadline Microsoft gave 12 days ago for discontinuing original Xbox multiplayer support. Fourteen have managed to still keep their consoles connected and running since, prolonging the game's final goodbye indefinitely.

Console overheating concerns and dropped Internet connections have whittled their numbers, but so far, neither Microsoft nor Bungie has gone in and turned off the lights. Writes Joe Campbell, who started a thread on the sit-in/tribute on the Bungie forums:

We will keep playing until we are all forcibly removed. It could be by Microsoft, Bungie, our Xbox's overheating, or just lagging out. Not for competition, not for a prize, but for the love, and memory of Halo 2.

I want to thank everyone that I've played with in the past few days, this is by far my favorite memory in all my gaming history.

A few live streams have captured several hours of footage of the Halo gamers playing long past the bell.

As of writing, the final 14 are: Agent Windex, APACHE N4SIR, sherlok 1, SieferSword, Rob2D, Detenn, z0mbie stench, Lord Odysseus11, xxMAKDADYxx, H2o Shoagie, xxBooker Dxx, DirtyCajun, AForeignObject and HiredN00bs.

When can their glory fade? Honor the charge they made, honor the light brigade, noble six hundred fourteen!

Sad bastards  ;D

Offline Jaynestown

• Forum Moderator
  • Way Beyond Awesome
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me!
  • XBL: Jaynestown
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 07:27:54 AM »

Sad bastards  ;D

As I was reading that I was thinking the same thing  ;D

Thank god for the new Tomb Raider, helped me de-stress after a tough week! More of the same please

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 11:13:16 AM »

Sad bastards  ;D

As I was reading that I was thinking the same thing  ;D

The game was bad enough in 2004 but to keep playing said bad game, nearly six years later, until the inevitable happens is just very, very, very sad.  Move on your stupid fools, games have progressed massively from that crappy shooter, you don't know what you're all missing.   ;D

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 11:17:27 AM »
I actually played Halo 2 for a couple hours after the plug was (virtually) pulled.  I didn't even fire my gun.  I just ran around having random 3-second conversations ... it was pretty fun.   :D

I eventually got bored and played Splinter Cell Conviction instead.   ;)

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads