Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIII  (Read 10394 times)

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
Final Fantasy XIII
« on: August 21, 2009, 06:45:09 AM »

Square Enix has finally clarified that Final Fantasy XIII will launch simultaneously on PS3 and 360 in the West.

"We don't have the actual month down yet, but in Japan it's scheduled for a winter release, and in Europe and North American territories it's spring 2010," producer Yoshinori Kitase told VG247 at gamescom.

"For Europe and North American, the PS3 and 360 versions are going to be released simultaneously."

Kitase added that European localisation used to take a year, but should now be "considerably shorter". The European launch of FFXIII, therefore, will be "as close to the North American release as possible".

Square Enix began development on the Western, Xbox 360 version of Final Fantasy XIII in April. However, the PS3 code is complete, and - as Kitase mentioned - goes on sale in Japan this winter.

This aroused suspicion that Western PS3 fans are being made to wait for FFXIII simply because of a simultaneous multi-platform-release deal.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
Re: Final Fantasy XIII
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 09:24:28 AM »
If you buy this for the PS3 ... you're doing it wrong.   :D

Offline Maibs

• PSN: Maibs
  • Steam: Maibs
  • XBL: xXMaibXx
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 01:25:08 PM »
Good i hope Ps3 owners have to wait till 360 versions ready, bout time the shoe was on the other foot.
ghostbusters anyone?

Offline sambo

• Greatness Personified
  • No cuts, no buts, no coconuts?
  • Last.fm: sambomaher
  • XBL: ox SAMBO xo
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 02:31:21 PM »
Square-Enix is aiming for Final Fantasy XIII on Xbox 360 to ship on three discs.
Square-Enix's Yoshinori Kitase said: "This isn't the final count yet, but we're aiming for about three discs."

With Final Fantasy XIII originally slated as a PlayStation3 exclusive before being confirmed for 360 as well, there was some speculation over how many discs the 360 version would consist of, owing to the fact that DVDs don't hold as much data as PlayStation3's Blu-Ray.

To put this into perspective, Lost Odyssey ships with four discs while some of Square-Enix's titles have also made the stretch to four discs (Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy IX). In this day and age, does disc changing bother you or don't you see what the fuss is about?

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 02:50:25 PM »
In this day and age, does disc changing bother you or don't you see what the fuss is about?

Not really, as long as the "disc change" does not somehow ruin the game.  I remember my PS1 (or PS2) froze when I switched the discs for ChronoCross.  Fortunately, the game saved at the final scene, so I only had to replay about 30 seconds of gameplay to try again.

However, it would be nice if they could somehow put a "Master" key on the first disc, allowing you to install all of the remaining discs but not have to swap them.  It's doubtful, but it would be a nice way to compensate for the lack of Blu-Ray.

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 05:45:40 AM »
Swapping discs has never bothered me, infact i prefer it. Then you can say 'I'm on Disc 2' etc

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 07:12:26 AM »
TGS trailer now with subs

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 10:18:55 AM »
Square targets six million sales of FFXIII

Square Enix boss Yoichi Wada reckons the company can sell more than six million copies of Final Fantasy XIII worldwide.

Speaking to Reuters Japan in comments picked up by Kotaku, Wada also said he wants Dragon Quest IX to break the five-million barrier in Japan, which he thinks it will do this year.

Final Fantasy XIII is due out for PS3 in Japan on 17th December, and will be released for PS3 and Xbox 360 simultaneously in the West in spring 2010.

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 10:26:38 AM »
Most Final Fantasy's have had a June release date (usually around 20-25th)... except 12 which wasn't a June release.

Offline Lukehi

• Forum Moderator
  • Super Dooper Member
  • Elle <3 Jacob
  • Last.fm: Lukehi
  • XBL: Lukehi
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 11:19:19 AM »
Most Final Fantasy's have had a June release date (usually around 20-25th)... except 12 which wasn't a June release.

Time to book some leave methinks!

Putting the "stud" back in Bible Study

Offline sambo

• Greatness Personified
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 11:54:50 AM »
Leveling up is so 1990s - and with Final Fantasy XIII striving to be as modern as RPGs come, Lightning and co are to ditch the old leveling mechanic in favor of a new system, revealed in Japanese magazines earlier this week. Here's our detailed explanation about just what this means for Square's upcoming blockbuster.

You heard us right - Final Fantasy XIII will have no levels and no experience points at all. Shounen Jump revealed its replacement this week, the Crystalium System.

Rather than EXP, players will earn CP - Crystal Points - for vanquishing enemies in battle. Each character earns their own unique CP, which can then be spent on upgrading their battle skills.

It's all very similar to Final Fantasy X and XII, with a circular board showing you all the various skills in the game. Your path through the board will be determined by the skills you buy - deeper, more powerful skills are unlocked by buying lower, related skills. Buying 'Fire' early on will pave the way to grab 'Firaga' later, for example.

In FF13 however even character growth will be tied to your CP. If you want more HP, you'll have to spend CP to get it. All the traditional FF parameters - apart from MP, which is absent in FF13 completely - will be upgradable this way.

The Crystalium System also links nicely into the Optima System previously detailed. The Optima System is all about different 'roles' for different characters in battle. A character with an 'Attacker' Optima is likely to concentrate on physically bombarding the enemy, while a Defender will cast healing spells.

The skill unlock board where you spend CP is laid out in such a way to encourage players to level up each character in a specific optima role - therefore leading to the more traditional FF roles of White Mage, Black Mage, Warrior and so on - or at least something equating to them.

For hardcore RPG fans this shouldn't be too much of a change - this kind of feature has cropped up in RPGs all over including Final Fantasy X and XII several times before. For casual players who only pick up the occasional RPG and have jumped on the FF hype train this could end up being a little disorienting, which could prove to be a problem when review time rolls around.

In terms of the in-game consequences, systems like this traditionally allow players much more freedom. While in FFX Lulu was naturally designed to be a Black Mage, careful spending in that game's Sphere Grid allowed her to break out of her specialty and dish out some impressive damage in other areas.

Because of this you can fully expect to see a naturally physical fighter like Snow be turned into a serviceable spell caster, and visa versa. However, unlike FF12 characters are locked to their weapons - you'll never see Snow brandish a sword or Lightning use a staff. This helps to limit your options in some way, at least.

It's believed that summons are locked to characters, too - so chances are players will find that whatever they do with the CP system they will have to obey some of the game's basic character guidelines thanks to Summon and Weapon restriction.

Players will be able to build characters into multiple roles for the Optima System, though. The Optima Change events in battle are actually there for changing the 'stance' of party members from one Optima stance to another - and there'd be no point in changing if each character was only good at once thing.

Final Fantasy has been moving in the direction of more flexible characters for a long time, with the most notable examples being Final Fantasy VIII, X and XII. Now XIII joins that group, offering players a lot more choice over what combat roles their characters take than many other RPGs offer with their set classes.

While doing away with leveling up is potentially a bit alien to many FF and RPG fans, it goes a long way to push Final Fantasy XIII towards its goal of being a more Western-friendly, Action-oriented RPG alongside its super fast-paced battle gameplay.

Offline bobbus74

• XBoxMental - Mental about XBox (>.<)
  • Last.fm: Bobbus74
  • PSN: Bobbus74
  • Steam: Bobbus74
  • XBL: Bobbus74
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 12:02:15 PM »
I can't stand RPGs like FF they're just so repetitive. I prefer the Fable type approach tbh. I played FFVII on the PSOne and although it looked fantastic, it bored the socks off me. Safe to say I won't be going anywhere near the latest release. That's my turn over, now I'll stand helpless while someone else has a turn ;)

Offline sambo

• Greatness Personified
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 12:38:49 PM »
 I like RPGs, I would easily put the Knights of the Old Republic games in my top 5 all time games, It's just finding the time to play them.
 I have Oblivion and Mass Effect waiting to be finished, Justcan't get the time to play them, Which is why I have not brought Fable 2 or Fallout 3 how ever much I wish to play them. I struggle to complete a 15 hour gamenever mind a 50 hour plus game.  I don't think I will be interested in FF13, I lost interest in these games a while ago.

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 06:36:23 PM »
hmm hopefully the level system will be more like FF12 where you generally headed in a certain direction and became what you were supposed to be, not like FF10 where you could get lost and gimp your character. FF10 had more endgame depth though in the skill system where you could replace earlier +1 Attacks with +4 Attacks, increasing your charter further.

I doubt FF13 will be anything like the earlier 'boring' (as bus put it) FF's, it'll be more like the quicker paced FF12 which made you fight in realtime.

If FF13 is half of what 12 is, it'll be the best RPG on the 360.

NeuroticSarge

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 02:07:54 AM »
NEVER played any Final Fantasy. Not my bag.

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads