Author Topic: Microsoft didn't want Halo as flagship title  (Read 796 times)

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
Microsoft didn't want Halo as flagship title
« on: August 15, 2009, 06:50:10 AM »
Gaming press hated Halo, internal Microsoft report said Bungie used "wrong colours."

Microsoft never planned for Halo to become its flagship title, according to former Microsoft VP of game publishing Ed Fries.

"We didn't know what was going be our biggest title," Fries admits. "There was a lot of negativity around Halo, actually, mostly coming from the games press. We showed it several times publicly, and we got pretty negative feedback."

Somebody did what they called a 'color palette analysis,' and they brought me this report where they showed me that [Halo's colors], compared to typical console game colors... their assertion was that we were using all the wrong colors in the game."

Fries says that the question within Microsoft was whether Xbox owners would want to play a hardcore PC-style FPS.

"Obviously, once we launched Xbox, the game started selling like crazy and became iconic for the platform," Fries says. "But all that happened after the fact, after a lot of naysayers said it wouldn't, or couldn't."

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
Re: Microsoft didn't want Halo as flagship title
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 10:55:46 AM »
Halo does have a somewhat harsh color (colour for everyone else here  ;)) pallette.  But that has given the franchise a very unique and memorable look.

You would probably have a hard time trying to find someone that couldn't recognize any random Halo screenshot.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 11:00:21 AM by nCogNeato »

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
Re: Microsoft didn't want Halo as flagship title
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 11:13:22 AM »
It's just not brown and grey! Someone get me back to the Unreal Engine quick.

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads