Author Topic: Kinect Discussion  (Read 53497 times)

Offline TaraJayne

• Way Beyond Awesome
  • Twitter: TaraJayne360
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: TaraJayne360
  • XBL: TaraJayne
Re: Natal Discussion
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2010, 12:21:51 PM »
Well either way I am looking forward to it
Can't wait for Shenmue 3

I hate jokes that rely on visual imagery.

I've had it right up to here with them.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2010, 12:58:30 PM »

I am too, as you can tell from all my massively supportive posts on the topic, I think I might like it a teeny bit more than MW2.

DFUSIONITE

« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2010, 01:13:16 PM »

so am i

Offline xnightcrawlerxx

« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2010, 10:42:16 AM »
i have to agree with crak on this one. if i wanted to look like an idiot while gaming, i would turn on my son's wii.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2010, 10:51:02 AM »
There's much more to Milo, says Molyneux

Peter Molyneux has hinted that he has much bigger plans for Project Natal, stating that virtual character Milo is only part of the picture.

Speaking to Inc Gamers about the E3 demo of Milo & Kate he said, "It made people look around and say, 'How could you make a game out of a character like Milo?' And I think that question is still out there; I'm just not allowed to answer it.

"I might hint... Milo is a character in a bigger and more dramatic story that we're telling."

Molyneux made similar noises later on in the interview, saying, "The frustrating thing is that I am veiled. Three and a half minute experience at E3, featuring Milo, which is a character - a single character - and it was exhibiting some of the technologies that we could do with Natal.

"I didn't say anything more than that, and whether that was the whole game or not, and I think you'll just have to wait and see how that fits into a much, much, much bigger and much more dramatic picture."

Milo made his public debut at E3 in 2009 and was met with much comment and criticism. From the likes of Charlie Brooker, for example, who suggested no one over the age of 30 will be able to play Milo & Kate without "looking and feeling like a paedophile". So what does Molyneux have to say to that?

"Well, I think it says more about Charlie Brooker than it does about Milo," he said.

Expect more from Milo at this year's E3 and possibly even at the Game Developers Conference, which kicks off next month - we'll be there to write things down about it if so.

Gotta love some of the responses from the Eurogamer readers  ;D

"Well, I think it says more about Charlie Brooker than it does about Milo," he said.
Oooh, get you Peter! At least Charlie Brooker is capable of creating something entertaining about computer games rather than an over-rated mess of a "game".

"Achievement Unlocked- Touched a Child 25g"

If they are in Fable 3 and i can stick a cursed sword through their heads then i'm all for it otherwise i really couldn't care less about Milo or Natal.
Quick question about Natal. How do you stop punching Milo?

I for one keep thinking about Peterphile's previous "revolutions" in interaction: Black & White's creature (smack or stroke it, it just ignores you and fucks off to sh*t in the food storage and throw villagers into the sea before starving to death because it kept throwing away the food you were giving it) and Fable (blow off without following through 50 times to convince the entire town of your greatness and to receive several offers of marriage. Thumbs up!) and expecting a similarly crushing disappointment. Seriously, f*ck off with this sh*t and go back to making proper games like Syndicate and Magic Carpet.

Brilliant  ;D

Offline TaraJayne

• Way Beyond Awesome
  • Twitter: TaraJayne360
  • Last.fm: TaraJayne360
  • XBL: TaraJayne
« Reply #125 on: February 25, 2010, 11:16:35 AM »
Its all very funny but some people should understand that gaming isnt just about them. We all have different tastes so variety is good.  :)
Can't wait for Shenmue 3

I hate jokes that rely on visual imagery.

I've had it right up to here with them.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2010, 04:55:28 AM »
Pachter: Natal more than $50 after all, DSi XL won't sell

In a stunning show that game industry analysts indeed are fallible human beings, Wedbush Morgan's Michael Pachter has changed his mind on Natal's supposed price. The prolific analyst prognosticated last year that price would be the primary factor in moving Natal hardware, leading him to predict that it would launch for less than $50. However, he now tells IndustryGamers that it will likely cost more, noting, "consumers will come to believe that the product and software has a lot of value." Furthermore, Pachter says that the higher that Microsoft and Sony price their motion controls, the less likely a consumer is to buy the competing product. In other words, if you spend $100 on Natal, you probably won't be too keen to plunk down another $100 for Sony's motion controller (and vice versa).

Pachter also tackles the DSi XL. He has some choice words for the beefy handheld, pointing out the $60 difference between the DS Lite and DSi XL models. "I'm not sure that bigger screens provide the value that Nintendo thinks," says Pachter, adding his belief that the entire DS line is due for a price cut. He concludes the device won't succeed at launch "since it costs only $10 less than a Wii."

Other topics discussed include Richard Garriott's foray into social media, the marketing of Dante's Inferno and the specter of third party success on the Wii -- "most third party Wii games just plain suck," says Pachter.

Offline CRracer_912

• vroom vroom!
  • XBL: CRracer 912
« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2010, 10:32:18 AM »
Patcher's a fan boy  ;D

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2010, 07:21:28 AM »
Natal - Which Games Will Work?
How Microsoft's new technology can reinvent old ideas...

Microsoft's Natal has generated a lot of discussion amongst 360 owners.

One of, if not the most important, of Microsoft's key aims is to generate fresh ideas and new IP with Natal. Its motion-sensing technology definitely lends itself to a new breed of game that hasn't been possible with the 360 pad - dancing games, 1st person fighting games and so on.

Even so, despite the drive for innovation there are still a lot of people who tend to frame Natal by old ideas. How would Gears of War work on it? What about Fable III? Or even XBLA classics such as UNO?

What Would Work

Horror Games

The slower pace of horror games could work well with Natal. Given immersion is half the battle horror games fight to ensure they can effectively deliver the scares, natal could be a pretty useful vehicle for them. Not to mention the potential for gimmicks such as shining torches in Alan Wake, aiming plasma cutters in Dead Space and motioning for the 360's off button in Alone In The Dark.

RTS Games

We're not entirely sure how it would work because hey, we're just writers and not developers. But imagine a 'virtual' map where you draw circles around the units you want to select and then point at where you want them to go, or what you want them to attack. 360 titles such as Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 and Lord of the Rings: Battle For Middle-Earth II wouldn't have to battle with the 360 pad anymore, as Natal would enable them to work with more fluidity. In theory, of course.

Command RPGs

While the actual system of moving about could be awkward, the menus could work really well in a Minority Report type manner, where you move your hand to indicate which option you want. It's a rather arbitrary way of stapling new technology to an old idea but implemented properly, it could work. So in this case, that means the likes of Final Fantasy XIII and Lost Odyssey could have worked the technology into its gameplay.

Sports Games - Tennis, Golf, Cricket, XBLA

The reason these games would work with Natal is that they don't require much foot motion. Tennis is the obvious exception but movement would be limited to a small, defined area - that'll be Virtua Tennis. Same with cricket which means Brian Lara Cricket and Ashes Cricket are candidates, and golf is a static sport, so Tiger Woods would work (feel free to make your own Tiger Woods joke here). XBLA would also allow for smaller games focusing on particular features of sports games - Quarter-back throwing, taking penalty kicks and so on.

What Wouldn't Work

Fast Paced Shooters

Although we can't see it happening, there's a chance that some of the slower cover shooters could translate to Natal somehow. Just a chance mind you. What wouldn't work are the fast-paced twitch shooters. So that's Unreal Tournament, Quake, F.E.A.R. and the like discounted. Then again, would you want to play them on Natal?

Sports Games - Football, Ice Hockey, Basketball

How would they replicate you being able to run entire length of the pitch? Or court? There's no way we can see it happening, unless you have a living room the size of a football pitch and Natal can pick up your movements as you're miles away lingering offside, screaming for the ball to be kicked over the top. No matter how hard we try, when we think Natal we don't think FIFA, NBA Live or NHL.

Platformers

It's not like 360 has been swamped with platformers since it came to market but honestly, can anyone even begin to think of a way that the likes of Tomb Raider would work with Natal? Alison Carroll might be able to play it but those of us lacking the ability to cartwheel and jump around our living rooms would probably find that type of game only really works with a pad.

Beat-'Em-Ups

They'd work if they were reworked into a first person viewpoint. Maybe. They definitely wouldn't work in their current form - like fast-paced FPS games, beat-'em-ups require quick and complex inputs to successfully work and that's something Natal is not suited for. Plus they wouldn't work as 2D brawlers anyway, unless you've all been slying practicing hurricane kicks in your living rooms for the past few years for this very moment. Street Fighter on Natal? Nah.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #129 on: March 05, 2010, 07:04:30 AM »
Xbox 360 'still for the hardcore'
Microsoft says Natal won't affect console's offering to main audience

Microsoft has reassured hardcore gamers that its mainstream push on Xbox 360 - and the release of Project Natal - won't hurt the attention it gives its hardcore consumers.

The platform holder is releasing Xbox 360 exclusives this year that include Alan Wake, Crackdown 2, Halo: Reach and Fable III.

"From the beginning, Xbox has always had a very deliberate strategy to focus on core gamers and then expand the market," European Xbox boss Chris Lewis told trade magazine MCV.

"Project Natal is meant to complement, not replace, the experiences [for this audience] on Xbox 360.

"We've reached new heights in creating a more natural and responsive gaming and entertainment experience for people of all interests and skill levels, whilst maintaining our commitment to deliver quality core games that consistently exceed expectations."

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #130 on: March 05, 2010, 10:12:07 AM »
Natal will affect the games I play about as much as the Scen-It controllers did.   ;)

Personally, I'll be buying Natal, if only to use to navigate my dashboard and XBL Marketplace.  It would also be pretty nice to be able to pause a movie by saying "Pause" instead of having to search for my remote.   ;D

markav

« Reply #131 on: March 05, 2010, 10:39:20 AM »
Natal will affect the games I play about as much as the Scen-It controllers did.   ;)

Personally, I'll be buying Natal, if only to use to navigate my dashboard and XBL Marketplace.  It would also be pretty nice to be able to pause a movie by saying "Pause" instead of having to search for my remote.   ;D

It will also satisfy the needs of lazy buggers ::)

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #132 on: March 05, 2010, 10:49:40 AM »
It will also satisfy the needs of lazy buggers ::)

It will ....  ???

Dude, I am TOTALLY BUYING IT !!!!    ;D

Offline CRracer_912

• vroom vroom!
  • XBL: CRracer 912
« Reply #133 on: March 05, 2010, 11:15:08 AM »
Did I hear Neato just claim the Natal is a microphone?

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #134 on: March 05, 2010, 11:52:03 AM »
Did I hear Neato just claim the Natal is a microphone?

It has voice-recognition.

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads