Author Topic: The Darkness 2  (Read 5910 times)

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
Re: The Darkness 2
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2012, 02:41:55 PM »

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2012, 07:11:58 AM »

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2012, 07:21:11 AM »
i won't be able to get The Darkness anyway i think, with FF13-2, Catherine, SFxT, SC5 and Darkness 2 all coming out at similar times, i just can't cope with them.

Ima get FF13-2 and probably SC5 and see from there. No doubt i'll play all 5 at some point though.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2012, 07:25:13 AM »
Might get it when it's cheap but i'll probably just rent it!  :)

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2012, 07:27:36 AM »
Might get it when it's cheap but i'll probably just rent it!  :)

+1

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
  • Some people drink Pepsi, some people drink Coke...
    • Time Zone: GMT -07
  • PSN: ZeroEquals
  • Steam: ZeroEquals
  • XBL: ZeroEquals
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2012, 11:54:55 AM »
I'm going to play The Darkness 2 regardless, enjoyed the first one immensely. Downloaded the demo the other day and will play it sometime this weekend.

I don't mind someone writing a review saying that the game outshines the demo (it's supposed to), but don't steer people away from it. Especially if it's not a bugged/broken demo.
If you're interested in playing through The Darkness II - and from what I've seen so far, you definitely should be - then I'd recommend leaving the demo alone.

Just seems somewhat counter-productive in a way, IMO.   

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2012, 06:16:35 PM »
i've spoke to a few people and they've said the demo was really good and has them hyped for the game even more. so this one guys opinion seems just that.

think i'll have a play of it now

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2012, 02:17:42 AM »
Demo awesomeness confirmed... ;D I don't see any reason why not to give it a spin.

BTW, I was reading though this thread and just an (albeit late #)) update on the voice actor situation -

[Brian Bloom], known for voicing Kane from the Kane & Lynch franchise is serving as the voice for Jackie Estacado. Additionally, Brian Bloom has done voicework on Rage / Mass Effect 3 / F.E.A.R. 3 / Bulletstorm / Dragon Age II / Dead Space II / Mafia II / Alpha Protocol....yada, yada, yada...

Bloom is also credited with some television acting and writing.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:57:50 PM by zerosum »

Offline Handshakes

• Super Dooper Member
  • Now with almost no cannibalism!
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • Conservative Gamer Bloke - My Blog
  • Last.fm: Hndshks
  • OnLive: Handshakes
  • PSN: ShakesyJ
  • Steam: handshakes
  • XBL: Handshakes
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2012, 09:46:40 PM »
I just finished the demo and it is splendiforous. I dig the art direction, and the gunplay is super solid. Brutal, bloody, fun as hell. The new Darkness controls are really intuitive, as well. During a battle on the street I could walk through a hail of bullets, rip a car door off it's hinges to use as a shield, shoot down a few baddies, then throw the car door at a baddy to my left, decapitating him. It was kind of brilliant.

Three issues:
1) It was really easy.
2) For a game called "The Darkness", it is way too... Bright. The first game was much darker and grittier, and I think I like that better.
3) Get that sh*t off my screen! Aargh! Another game that is infected with the disease of plastering XP points all over the screen every time I kill a baddy. You want to reward me visually for killing someone in a sadistically clever way? Let me savor his gruesome death! Don't obscure my vision with "Wishbone! +100".
Your mom!

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2012, 11:16:04 PM »
I just finished the demo and it is splendiforous. I dig the art direction, and the gunplay is super solid. Brutal, bloody, fun as hell. The new Darkness controls are really intuitive, as well. During a battle on the street I could walk through a hail of bullets, rip a car door off it's hinges to use as a shield, shoot down a few baddies, then throw the car door at a baddy to my left, decapitating him. It was kind of brilliant.

Three issues:
1) It was really easy.
2) For a game called "The Darkness", it is way too... Bright. The first game was much darker and grittier, and I think I like that better.
3) Get that sh*t off my screen! Aargh! Another game that is infected with the disease of plastering XP points all over the screen every time I kill a baddy. You want to reward me visually for killing someone in a sadistically clever way? Let me savor his gruesome death! Don't obscure my vision with "Wishbone! +100".

-I'm sure the demo wasn't placed on "Brutal" dificulty, so the demo's difficulty is really a non-issue.

-The brightness and art direction does seem kind of a contrary feel to the the first game, but I can appreciate the bold step and attempt to take the palette from the comic books and hit it with a dose of adrenaline:

-Your third point is well taken. There's so much going on with the action on screen that the text can start to feel like annoying gnats. Would be nice to allow for that option to be turned off, or hopefully it's consistent pestering is something specific and exclusive to the demo.

Still though, can't wait for this one. I was concerned when the helm was changed up from Starbreeze to Digital Extremes, but so far this one's looking like a keeper for me.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 12:06:28 AM by zerosum »

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2012, 07:21:28 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S6TkTm112U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S6TkTm112U</a>

Offline Handshakes

• Super Dooper Member
  • Now with almost no cannibalism!
    • Conservative Gamer Bloke - My Blog
  • Last.fm: Hndshks
  • OnLive: Handshakes
  • PSN: ShakesyJ
  • Steam: handshakes
  • XBL: Handshakes
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2012, 08:33:05 PM »

Three issues:
1) It was really easy.

-I'm sure the demo wasn't placed on "Brutal" dificulty, so the demo's difficulty is really a non-issue.

-The brightness and art direction does seem kind of a contrary feel to the the first game, but I can appreciate the bold step and attempt to take the palette from the comic books and hit it with a dose of adrenaline:

-Your third point is well taken. There's so much going on with the action on screen that the text can start to feel like annoying gnats. Would be nice to allow for that option to be turned off, or hopefully it's consistent pestering is something specific and exclusive to the demo.

Still though, can't wait for this one. I was concerned when the helm was changed up from Starbreeze to Digital Extremes, but so far this one's looking like a keeper for me.

Yeah, those were just minor quibbles. I was really impressed with what I saw in the demo. I even really like the cartoony art for the most part, I only wish it were a touch darker.
Your mom!

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632