• BEST SINCE DAY ONE
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
Brink
« on: November 29, 2009, 11:54:11 AM »
Splash Damage's Brink wants to change your mind on multiplayer

Are you one of these folks who don't even realize there's a "multiplayer button" in your first-person shooters? After spending hours with the single-player campaign, you shelve the game and press onward, eschewing time with multiplayer for other, more solitary experiences? Splash Damage head Paul Wedgwood wants to change your attitude, telling Eurogamer in an interview that his studio's upcoming FPS Brink will do just that.

"It's our goal from the outset to incidentally teach people to be good at multiplayer shooters while they're playing our single-player shooter," he says. Apparently, Brink will offer in-game rewards (double XP, for instance) to players willing to take their game online. "At a certain point in the game we say to them, 'Why don't you just try co-op and see how you go? For this next mission we're going to give you twice the number of experience points if you play co-operatively with somebody else.'" Thankfully though, he assures the internet-less among us (how are you reading this?!) that there's plenty of game in Brink without having to go online. "Your experience through it, imagining you have no internet connection should, for us to have achieved our goal, be as compelling as any other triple-A shooter." We'll find out if his plan works when Brink arrives sometime next year.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 12:40:13 PM by GamerMan316 »

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
Re: Brink
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 07:26:32 PM »
Sounds good ... sort of. If i enjoy the single player, then i'll hit up the MP for a bit. Some people would never know how good MP is in some games if they only ever played single player, i feel sorry for the people who never bother with Red Faction MP which is awesome!

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 06:38:17 AM »

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 08:51:20 AM »
Brink now delayed until spring 2011

Bethesda Softworks has confirmed to Eurogamer that Splash Damage's upcoming multi-format shooter Brink has been delayed until spring 2011.

Brink has been put together by an all-star cast of developers hired by Splash Damage to bolster its ranks with experience in a number of genres.

The result looks enormously promising, not to mention attractive - a bold blend of single-player and multiplayer shooter principles, clever systems that allow you to move stylishly through the environment without having to recall 48 buttons in the heat of the moment, and stunning visuals.

Offline Handshakes

• Super Dooper Member
  • Now with almost no cannibalism!
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • Conservative Gamer Bloke - My Blog
  • Last.fm: Hndshks
  • OnLive: Handshakes
  • PSN: ShakesyJ
  • Steam: handshakes
  • XBL: Handshakes
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 10:37:09 AM »
I want to like this game, but the art style does absolutely nothing for me.
Your mom!

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 12:39:43 PM »
Brink UK pre-order deals revealed

The pre-order deals for Splash Damage shooter Brink are out.

They're available now at participating UK shops GAME/Gamestation, Play and Amazon.

GAME and Gamestation have the DOOM & Spec Ops Packs; Play has the Fallout Pack; and Amazon has the Psycho Pack.

The DOOM Pack contains:

* Unique "Hellspawn" body tattoo
    * Exclusive UAC (Security) and Cacodemon (Resistance) customised skins for the Bulpdaun SMG
    * Exclusive UAC Marine Body Armour (Security) and Lost Soul Screaming Skull (Resistance) t-shirts
    * Exclusive UAC beanie cap (Security) and DOOM bandana (Resistance)

The Spec Ops Pack contains:

* Exclusive weapon: the "Hockler" Machine-Pistol
    * Exclusive "GreenEye" Combat Optical Scope
    * Exclusive Security "Sloani" Combat Mask
    * Unique Dogtag body tattoo

The Fallout Pack contains:

* Unique Fallout Vault 101 body tattoo
    * Exclusive Vault 101 (Security) and Fallout New Vegas Vault Boy (Resistance) customised skins for the CARB-9 SMG
    * Exclusive Fallout Vault 101 (Security) and Fallout New Vegas Vault Boy (Resistance) t-shirts
    * Exclusive Vault-Tec beanie cap (Security) and Fallout bandana (Resistance)

The Psycho Pack contains

* Exclusive weapon: the "Caesar" Revolver
    * New attachments: The Resistance's improved Soda Can Silencer and Security's ArkTactical Silencer
    * Exclusive Resistance "The Grin" Combat Mask
    * Unique "Tortured Soul" body tattoo

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 01:02:00 PM »

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 12:43:43 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohnHjHjrvJc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohnHjHjrvJc</a>

Offline Autarch Kade

• This post may contain nuts.
    • Time Zone: GMT -06
    • An interestingly accurate site
  • Steam: AutarchKade
  • XBL: Autarch Kade
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 01:02:59 PM »
I'm picking this up tomorrow.  I pretty much have to as one of the computer desktop backgrounds I've been using is This Image

Hopefully it turns out fun :P
I like my women how I like my coffee: ground up and in the freezer.

The doctors say his chances are 50/50... but there's only a 10% chance of that.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 01:18:34 PM »
Team Fortress meets Mirror's Edge.

Mirror's Fortress?

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 03:17:47 PM »
Team Edge

Offline Handshakes

• Super Dooper Member
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 07:12:52 PM »
I've been playing this game on the PC since the midnight launch last night. Pretty nifty. I especially like how they incorporate the story into the multiplayer. At the beginning and end of each mission you get to see a little cutscene starring you and your buds (and your enemies) that advances the story a bit.

Besides that, the shooting and the movement is very good. Sliding around while shooting is epic and never gets old, and climbing the environment can make for some interesting tactical decisions.

The guns feel pretty good, with a good mix of spraying and bursting for accuracy. My one complaint is that the guns, visually, just aren't interesting. You have a huge selection of firearms, but they almost all look the exact same. On the plus side you can customize your guns and that helps give a feeling of ownership, but it just isn't enough. In a firefight you can't distinguish any particular gun's silhouette, so aesthetically speaking you might as well choose your guns by "eeny meeny miny moe". This might seem like nitpicking, and I guess it is, but it really does bug me and I think it is a really badly missed design opportunity.
Your mom!

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 09:37:50 AM »
I've been playing this game on the PC since the midnight launch last night. Pretty nifty. I especially like how they incorporate the story into the multiplayer. At the beginning and end of each mission you get to see a little cutscene starring you and your buds (and your enemies) that advances the story a bit.

Besides that, the shooting and the movement is very good. Sliding around while shooting is epic and never gets old, and climbing the environment can make for some interesting tactical decisions.

The guns feel pretty good, with a good mix of spraying and bursting for accuracy. My one complaint is that the guns, visually, just aren't interesting. You have a huge selection of firearms, but they almost all look the exact same. On the plus side you can customize your guns and that helps give a feeling of ownership, but it just isn't enough. In a firefight you can't distinguish any particular gun's silhouette, so aesthetically speaking you might as well choose your guns by "eeny meeny miny moe". This might seem like nitpicking, and I guess it is, but it really does bug me and I think it is a really badly missed design opportunity.

Good input.

Do you think the difficulty in distinguishing one firearm from another make tactics more difficult?  Meaning, if I can't see what gun the other guys has, I don't now how to approach the fight.

Or is the combat so fast and chaotic that tactics are moot?

Offline Handshakes

• Super Dooper Member
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 11:20:13 AM »

Good input.

Do you think the difficulty in distinguishing one firearm from another make tactics more difficult?  Meaning, if I can't see what gun the other guys has, I don't now how to approach the fight.

Or is the combat so fast and chaotic that tactics are moot?

Mostly no, for two reasons. One is that the fights are, as you say, fast and chaotic, but that alone doesn't rule out strategery. Team Fortress 2 is incredibly fast paced, but with each class and each weapon extremely easily identifiable the combat tactics can hatch and fire at a speed that can keep up with the pace of the gameplay just fine. Which brings me to the second reason: 90% of the guns in Brink behave the exact same way. Most of the guns in Brink are either SMGs or Assault Rifles, and both of those types behave almost identically. Stats like damage, rate of fire, clip size, and accuracy are different across all of the different guns, but none of that changes the way you shoot an Assault Rifle of SMG. So in the end you just approach every encounter assuming everybody has an assault rifle bullet hose.

That said, there are heavy weapons, sniper rifles, and shotguns. They just aren't used nearly as often as the standard spammy assault rifles for various reasons (only the Heavy body type can use the heavy weapons, sniper rifles r hard, shotguns are so range limited). But it is hard to tell even these special weapons apart from the standard assault rifle as well, and I have on a few occasions accidentally gone a little too close to an enemy shotgun player because I couldn't tell that the thing in his hands was a close range hurt machine.
Your mom!

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 04:38:36 AM »

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads