Author Topic: Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2  (Read 4562 times)

Offline KoreRupt

• DJ ZeroCore - Hardcore Music.
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
« on: November 15, 2009, 04:37:17 AM »
One of the most anticipated games of 2009 if not the most anticipated, has finally arrived in stores for us all to get addicted to!

Here is my personal review.

Starting with campaign I will try to exclude any spoilers to the story and give an overview on the game.

First of as you start campaign you are treated with an excellent presentation a la CoD4 type intro and briefing before giving you a tutorial starter level just like CallOfDuty4.  This works great for veterans and new players alike giving a taste of what MW2 entails and gives a really fun way of estimating what difficulty you should be playing on.  Think CallofDuty4's ship test run.

As you progress through the story it just gets better and better with twist and turns that keep you scratching your head in excitement and the odd phrase of "Did he just do that!?" or "NO WAY! :O".  It feels like a no expense spared Micheal Bay film! 

With set pieces that blow you away and enough change in what you are doing and where (in the world) it really does feel fresh the whole way through the game wether you are fighting in war torn Afganistan or Frozen Kazakistan.

The most memorable level for me was the stoming the gulag level, which instantly reminded me of one of my favourite films "The Rock" with Nicolas Cage, Ed Harris and Sean Connery.  I wont tell you what happens in this level just that its really special!

Honour, Respect, Loyalty.

Offline KoreRupt

Re: Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 04:44:12 AM »
On to multiplayer.

There have been vast improvements within the award winning CoD4 MP experience here and it really does show,  after taking alot of fans wants and gripes with the first game they have made alot of really fun ajustments!

The customisation has improved too.. want a silenced sniper rifle?  You can!  Want a silenced Spaz 12?  YOU CAN!  Want them both at the same time on one kit.. you guessed it.. YOU CAN!   Amongst these improvements is the addition of custom killstreaks and deathstreaks, now your not stuck at UAV > Airstrike > Helo.  You can have Three of around 15 different killstreaks (I cant be bother'd to go add them all up! haha).  From killstreaks such as Sentry guns (awesome for watching killzones or flags etc), to even a tactical Nuke!!!  Yes thats right, you can Nuke in this game.

They even added in a few different modes this year to mix the gametypes up such as 3rd Person modes, one of which replaces the old Team Tactical and although I wish they had both I welcome it as a team tactical veteran.  They even have Hardcore Search&Destroy riccochet,  this entails that if theres a pesky guy RPGing your team at the start.. They die and your team doesnt!  Thats right! no more spawn killers at the start!

Another improvement in my eyes is the maps, they are as varried in this game as you could ever get.. from scorching hot deserts to freezing cold submarrine bases, this game has everything!

Offline Lukehi

• Forum Moderator
  • Super Dooper Member
  • Elle <3 Jacob
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: Lukehi
  • XBL: Lukehi
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 04:48:40 AM »
I've read that the MP had been 'dumbed down' to cater for the casual gamer with the addition of tons of perks, kill-streaks and death-streaks.

As you stated the played can choose to have a plethora of weapons/perks etc so have IW gone too far in trying to appease everyone?

Surely in some instances less is more, hence the attraction of the Hardcore and Old School modes!

Putting the "stud" back in Bible Study

Offline KoreRupt

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 04:51:43 AM »
Finally spec ops mode.

This added mode is mainly built for co-op gameplay online or offline (Yes splitscreen is possible!), and boy is it fun!  Just playing with some friends through the various missions feels like different singleplayer experiences in their own right, wether its holding off waves of enemys before the helo comes to extract you (Think Gears Of War hoarde.. but more fun!), or sneaking through a base to escape unnoticed its a barrel of fun and a welcome addition to the great CallOfDuty experience!

Graphics :  9/10  Great graphics overall just dont look at the bushes and greenery too close!
Sound : 10/10    Can't fault the sound on anything, it feels like your in the middle of a war!
Single Player: 9/10  Awesome experience but it does make you want more, like CallOfDuty4.
Multiplayer 10/10  Infinity Ward does it again and surpasses the great CallOfDuty 4 MP experience!
Spec Ops 10/10    Supprisingly good and the amount of different missions is truely epic.
Longativity 10/10  Want a game that will last you Years.. thats right.. YEARS!  Get this game.

Overall 9.7/10  One of the best games you will ever play,  it grips you from the moment you insert the disc until the next MW comes out!  (Overall is not an average).

Offline KoreRupt

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 04:56:06 AM »
Not at all but I see your concern, I myself have played CoD4 for over 2years and I personally think that MW2's Multiplayer is harder than the first's for many reasons.  I also relish the fact they have added alot more to the game as it gives everyone the chance to cater the experience to their liking.

I do wish they added entire playlists for Hardcore / 3rd Person / Normal modes though.

One good thing though is if they do get more "casual" gamers there will be more fodder for your cannon.

In hind sight they could add more Hardcore modes etc easily, they have already added "Mosh pit" and "Team Deathmatch Express" and the game has not been out a week!

Offline Lukehi

• Forum Moderator
  • Super Dooper Member
  • Elle <3 Jacob
  • Last.fm: Lukehi
  • XBL: Lukehi
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 05:04:36 AM »
One good thing though is if they do get more "casual" gamers there will be more fodder for your cannon.

When I get round to playing it... ;)

Nice review and I like the fact the worst thing about the game is that you shouldn't look at bushes too closely... :o

Putting the "stud" back in Bible Study

Offline KoreRupt

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 05:07:35 AM »
Aye its my only gripe with the game, apart from maybe needing more gamemodes (TEAM TACTICAL PLZ! lol).  But they could add them..

But truely.. the bushs and trees look like cardboard :(  (notice it all the time when sniping)  Its like sniping in DFS.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 06:56:28 AM »
Good review mate, i'm only about a third of the way through the campaign, i'm gonna take my time with it as i've got loads of other games to play, but i'm loving it so far.
As for the MP, it's growing on me, wasn't too keen on it at first, probably because i've been playing Gears 2 constantly for about a year, but the more i play it, the more i like it, though i'd rather do public matches with people off here than with a bunch of randoms, as at least we talk to eachother.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 06:12:07 PM by GamerMan316 »

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 07:20:17 AM »
Finished the single player last night, i prefer CoD4 story. Will definately play it again though.

As for multiplayer, i prefer it as i kill more people, just because i know 2 kills i have UAV, 2 more i have predator drone, 2 more i have harrier then i can sit back and get a 17 kill streak .... 17!!!! i never, ever got that in 4.

Spec Ops is hard, struggling solo but i suppose it might be awesome on split-screen.

Offline TaraJayne

• Way Beyond Awesome
  • Twitter: TaraJayne360
  • Last.fm: TaraJayne360
  • XBL: TaraJayne
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 06:05:56 PM »
Thank you so much KoreRupt :D Your review is beyond awesome. I have put it on the homepage of the website for all to see.
Can't wait for Shenmue 3

I hate jokes that rely on visual imagery.

I've had it right up to here with them.

Offline KoreRupt

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 09:00:40 PM »
Finished the single player last night, i prefer CoD4 story. Will definately play it again though.

As for multiplayer, i prefer it as i kill more people, just because i know 2 kills i have UAV, 2 more i have predator drone, 2 more i have harrier then i can sit back and get a 17 kill streak .... 17!!!! i never, ever got that in 4.

Spec Ops is hard, struggling solo but i suppose it might be awesome on split-screen.

Lucky for some!  I used to get 25 Killstreaks all the time (Not boasting) on CoD4 2.36 K/D with over 100k Kills lol, on this I can't even break 20 kill streak due to the fact Killstreak rewards themselfs dont count towards your Killstreaks or so im told! :( I wanna at least get the damn nuke once! lol  Its a good thing though, id hate for everygame to be ended with a nuke!  To be honest though I am doing ok with a K/D of over 2 so far!

Offline KoreRupt

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 09:01:48 PM »
Good review mate, i'm only about a third of the way through the campaign, i'm gonna take my time with it as i've got loads of other games to play, but i'm loving it so far.
As for the MP, it's growing on me, wasn't too keen on it at first, probably because i've been playing Gears 2 constantly for about a year, but the more i play it, the more i like it, though i'd rather do public matches with people off here than with a bunch of randoms, as at least we talk to eachother.

I understand what you mean,  but there is a great mode for all you gears players.. the 3rd Person Teams mode! I'll play it with you anytime just give me a shout, its like GRAW vs GoW vs CoD vs Rainbow 6!

DFUSIONITE

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 05:52:55 AM »
great review can't wait to get it now.

Offline KoreRupt

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 05:58:54 AM »
Glad you liked it!  Can't wait to see you on the battlefield.

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 06:38:40 AM »
I got 17 kill streak with a killstreak. Was on the one for the snipers and theres an underground tunnelly area in the middle. Ran in the tunnel, got to 6 kills, whacked my harrier above where i was and killed anyone that came into my mole hole. I'd had 12KS before that doing similar on Highrise but hiding down the side of the elevators.

Loving MW2 multi, especially Hardline (2 kills for UAV, 4 for Predator and only 6 for Harrier!).

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads