Author Topic: Mass Effect Help, jeez I'm a crap gamer!!!  (Read 4250 times)

Offline Lukehi

• Forum Moderator
  • Super Dooper Member
  • Elle <3 Jacob
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: Lukehi
  • XBL: Lukehi
Re: Mass Effect Help, jeez I'm a crap gamer!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 12:57:38 PM »
I'm stuck on Noveria (no spoilers) on the Hardcore difficulty.

The Matriarc bit is the one I'm stuck on too.  Guess I'm in JT camp when it comes to ME!

Putting the "stud" back in Bible Study

Offline xnightcrawlerxx

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 07:18:18 PM »
I'm confused, I didn't think you can revive your teammates, they only revive themselves once the battle is over (which I thought was a bit stupid... they're either dead or not!!!)

they're not really dead, just unconscious.  i could be wrong, but it sounds like you're letting the A.I. take complete control of your squad. i did alot better when i controlled their "space magic". it really comes in handy when you're waiting for your abilities to recharge.

Offline KoreRupt

• DJ ZeroCore - Hardcore Music.
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 07:44:56 PM »
I'm confused, I didn't think you can revive your teammates, they only revive themselves once the battle is over (which I thought was a bit stupid... they're either dead or not!!!)

they're not really dead, just unconscious.  i could be wrong, but it sounds like you're letting the A.I. take complete control of your squad. i did alot better when i controlled their "space magic". it really comes in handy when you're waiting for your abilities to recharge.

Best way is to set their abilitys to "Defense Only" on the settings.. means you can tell them where you want their cool offensive moves.. If at all. 

Also its right that they are just K-O'd until the battle ends.  Same system as KoToR and Dragon Age.  :)

Honour, Respect, Loyalty.

Offline Jaynestown

• Forum Moderator
  • Way Beyond Awesome
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me!
  • XBL: Jaynestown
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 02:17:14 AM »
The other thing that is really annoying me about this whole thing, is that every time you reload it after dying you have to go through the whole conversation with th Matriarc (same as the other bit I was stuck on). Why doesn't it put the autosave point just as the conversation has ended, it's such a waste of time.  >:(

Thank god for the new Tomb Raider, helped me de-stress after a tough week! More of the same please

Offline Jaynestown

• Forum Moderator
  • Way Beyond Awesome
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 02:55:16 AM »
I've tried it again this morning for about 45 minutes, I've managed to kill the Matriarc twice on about 20 attempts but that still leaves the Asari soldiers who come in and attack me and Ashley (Liara's a total waste of space, all she does is get killed/knocked unconscious). Even when I've used Unity to revive Liara and/or Ashley I just can't do it. There's nowhere to take cover (even if I could get Shepard in to cover in the first place!) and most of the time the Matriarc kills me anyway. What's really annoying is she knocks you down, you can't press any buttons whilst you're down, but as soon as you start to get up again she knocks you down again before you've had time to press any buttons (like Y to heal etc.) I'm coming to the conclusion that, for me, this is just not possible >:(  >:(  >:(

Thank god for the new Tomb Raider, helped me de-stress after a tough week! More of the same please

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 05:33:14 AM »
You do know you have to kill her soldiers FIRST or she isn't vulnerable to your attacks. After you kill all her commandos then she says something to do with the plot and then you can kill her just ignore anymore geth and go straight for her.

I stayed at the entrance behind some box and used lots of grenades, but i've heard the east catwalk is a good spot to hide? can't remember where.

If your still struggling then leave the planet, go level up and go back. Go do some traditional RPG grinding, do some sidequests, stock up on heal gel and better weaps and head back!!

We're 360DFers we never give up in the face of adversity .... mostly  :P

EDIT: Also having a think, i remember she uses space magic and thought that if you have some space magic resistance in your armour this would help, also geth destroying weapons would be good. I had a soldier i think and after i kill the Geth and she does the talky talk then i did invincibility and overkill and murdered her dead in 3 seconds flat ... but i am the awesomeristness!!!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 05:38:51 AM by Failed »

Offline Jaynestown

• Forum Moderator
  • Way Beyond Awesome
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 05:51:24 AM »
You do know you have to kill her soldiers FIRST or she isn't vulnerable to your attacks. After you kill all her commandos then she says something to do with the plot and then you can kill her just ignore anymore geth and go straight for her.

I stayed at the entrance behind some box and used lots of grenades, but i've heard the east catwalk is a good spot to hide? can't remember where.

If your still struggling then leave the planet, go level up and go back. Go do some traditional RPG grinding, do some sidequests, stock up on heal gel and better weaps and head back!!

We're 360DFers we never give up in the face of adversity .... mostly  :P

EDIT: Also having a think, i remember she uses space magic and thought that if you have some space magic resistance in your armour this would help, also geth destroying weapons would be good. I had a soldier i think and after i kill the Geth and she does the talky talk then i did invincibility and overkill and murdered her dead in 3 seconds flat ... but i am the awesomeristness!!!

I'm past the first bit Failed. I killed the first lot of soldiers without too much difficulty, it cuts to a dialogue section where she temporarily changes sides ('cos she's not under the influence of the bad spectre - forgotten his name, sorry) and gives Shepard some information, and then she turns back evil and starts attacking again. It's this second attack that I'm stuck on. I have managed to kill her a few times, it's the soldiers afterwards that I'm stuck on. I end up with such low health (and only Ashley as back up) and nowhere to seek cover to give me time to regenerate before these soldiers rush me (I think there are 4 of them, the best I've managed is killing two). I don't think I can leave the planet now, I'm stuck in thsi cycle of trying to kill her. My only option is to revert back to a previous save, but I'm up to something like Level 18 already so I thought that should be enough. I think it just comes down to the fact that I'm rubbish!  :(
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 05:54:26 AM by Jaynestown »

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 06:22:24 AM »
You should be able to retrace your steps back to the Normandy ?? If you can pause mid-fight and change your equipment, you need to finish off the matriarch and when your fighting her remaining geth swap to your geth killing equipment. If your wearing biotic defensive equipment, then swap to ballistic defensive items. Try and save your grenades until the last 4 geth and use them then.

I doubt it's becuase your not good enough, you just need better tactics, try holing up in different spots and see if this helps.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 10:29:06 AM »
Use Medi-Gel to heal yourself.  Also use it on your squad after you've revived them, their health will be low.

I've also found this youtube video which may help ...

CLICK HERE IF YOU CANNOT SEE THE VIDEO BELOW
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rVJtmn32AI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rVJtmn32AI</a>

Offline Jaynestown

• Forum Moderator
  • Way Beyond Awesome
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 04:53:18 PM »
Hi Neato,

I'm using medigel to heal myself, but I get damaged so quickly that it doesn't regenerate in time. And I've used it on my team too but Liara gets knocked down almost immediately after healing her anyway, she is about as useful as Dom is in Gears Of War 1, ie totally f***ing useless!!!

That video is the first bit of the boss battle, it's the second bit that I can't do.

If I kill the matriach first my health ends up so low, and the aforementioned Liara is already unconscious, that the 4 Asari soldiers come rushing in and kill me, and if I try and kill them first the Matriach kills me instead. There's nowhere to take cover, I don't have any grenades and I guess the armour that i have equipped for me and my squad is just not good enough. Plus one of my squadmates is, as previously stated, about as useful as a chocolate tea spoon!

My only option here is to revert back to a save game from several hours before and try something else, but that'll just waste all the time I've had on this mission and that'll just kill the game for me, to be honest I'm already fed up with it. I wish they wouldn't put boss fights in that are this hard on Normal mode, sure make them difficult on the harder settings but for people like me who just aren't that good at shooting games it totally ruins the whole experience. If this boss is too hard to fight at my current level, why make it an accessable quest, wouldn't it have been better to only make it accessable once you reach a certain level? (Like with Borderlands) This, coupled with the fact that you have to keep replaying the conversations with the Matriarc before you can even get in to the fight anyway has just run my patience out.

I really wanted to enjoy Mass Effect this time around but it's going to get relegated to a whole host of games I just can't complete. Guess I won't be buying Mass Effect 2 after all  >:(

Offline Jaynestown

• Forum Moderator
  • Way Beyond Awesome
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 05:08:11 PM »
PS

Thanks for the advice everyone but I think I'm going to store Mass Effect away now and maybe come back to it a bit later on. I'm losing my love of gaming because of this game and I don't want to keep moaning about it (I don't want to start sounding like Sarge!  ;))

When's Gears Of War 3 out?  :)

Offline KoreRupt

• DJ ZeroCore - Hardcore Music.
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 08:19:05 PM »
Hi Neato,

I'm using medigel to heal myself, but I get damaged so quickly that it doesn't regenerate in time. And I've used it on my team too but Liara gets knocked down almost immediately after healing her anyway, she is about as useful as Dom is in Gears Of War 1, ie totally f***ing useless!!!

That video is the first bit of the boss battle, it's the second bit that I can't do.

If I kill the matriach first my health ends up so low, and the aforementioned Liara is already unconscious, that the 4 Asari soldiers come rushing in and kill me, and if I try and kill them first the Matriach kills me instead. There's nowhere to take cover, I don't have any grenades and I guess the armour that i have equipped for me and my squad is just not good enough. Plus one of my squadmates is, as previously stated, about as useful as a chocolate tea spoon!

If your not already on "Easy" setting you could do that,  If I want to play a game for fun I always put them on easy :) its good playing and doing whatever you want knowing you still should plow through the enemy!

Even think you can change difficulty midgame on ME too.

My only option here is to revert back to a save game from several hours before and try something else, but that'll just waste all the time I've had on this mission and that'll just kill the game for me, to be honest I'm already fed up with it. I wish they wouldn't put boss fights in that are this hard on Normal mode, sure make them difficult on the harder settings but for people like me who just aren't that good at shooting games it totally ruins the whole experience. If this boss is too hard to fight at my current level, why make it an accessable quest, wouldn't it have been better to only make it accessable once you reach a certain level? (Like with Borderlands) This, coupled with the fact that you have to keep replaying the conversations with the Matriarc before you can even get in to the fight anyway has just run my patience out.

I really wanted to enjoy Mass Effect this time around but it's going to get relegated to a whole host of games I just can't complete. Guess I won't be buying Mass Effect 2 after all  >:(

Honour, Respect, Loyalty.

Offline Jaynestown

• Forum Moderator
  • Way Beyond Awesome
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2010, 08:12:10 AM »
Good news. I re-loaded my save game to just as the squad leaves to drive up to Peak 15, re-traced my steps back to the Normandy, sold all the spare ammo, weaspons and armour I had so far accumulated and bought  Heavy Armour from the ship's quartermaster for myself and some better armour for Asley, replaced the totallay useless Liara with Kaiden and re-did the whole of the mission again. This time it only took me 5 attempts to stop her... thank god!!! I have since done the Bring Down the Sky mission this morning. I think I'm starting to get in to this now  ;D

Thanks for all the advice and help everyone (especially Failed for telling me not to give up, the "sticky-out-tongue" smiley inspired me to carry on, LOL), I'll be back later once I hit more problems!!!  ;)

Offline Lukehi

• Forum Moderator
  • Super Dooper Member
  • Elle <3 Jacob
  • Last.fm: Lukehi
  • XBL: Lukehi
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2010, 10:06:46 AM »
awesome JT, well done.

Keep going, its a peach of a game.  After your posts its making me want to play it.

Putting the "stud" back in Bible Study

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads