Author Topic: Gears of War 4  (Read 9316 times)

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
Gears of War 4
« on: January 27, 2014, 10:58:17 AM »
Gears of War Xbox One confirmed - Black Tusk takes over from Epic Games
Microsoft buys rights "to all existing and future games, entertainment experiences and merchandise"

Microsoft has acquired the publishing rights to all "existing and future" Gears of War games from Epic, it was announced today. Black Tusk Studios in Vancouver will now develop a Gears of War title for Xbox One under the leadership of Rod Fergusson, former director of production at Epic, with more details to follow this year.

"It all comes back to our commitment to Xbox fans," Microsoft Studios boss Phil Spencer commented in a release over on Xbox NewsWire. "The Gears of War franchise has a very strong, passionate and valued fan base on Xbox.

"Over twenty-two million units have been sold across all Gears of War titles worldwide, grossing over $1B dollars (US). This franchise, and these fans, are part of the soul of Xbox. By acquiring this franchise, Microsoft Studios will continue to offer them more of their favorite games and entertainment experiences from the Gears of War universe."

According to Black Tusk's general manager Hanno Lemk, the developer "will collaborate closely with Epic to ensure the inclusion of the Unreal Engine technology into the Gears of War franchise going forward remains consistent with the high quality fans have come to expect from the franchise".
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 03:49:58 AM by GamerMan316 »

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
Re: Gears of War
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 11:50:20 AM »

Offline NeuroticAlias

• I want to break free.
  • XBL: NeuroticAlias
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 02:38:20 PM »
For the love of god,wwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy???
Hmmmm,is it me?

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 01:34:59 PM »
For the love of god,wwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy???

;D

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
  • Some people drink Pepsi, some people drink Coke...
    • Time Zone: GMT -07
  • PSN: ZeroEquals
  • Steam: ZeroEquals
  • XBL: ZeroEquals
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 02:15:37 PM »
Seems with this move MS is ensuring - "No Gears for you PS4!!" ....

[Clifford Chimes In]

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 08:39:47 AM »
Epic Was Going to Let Gears of War “Sit on the Shelf for a Decade or More"

Epic Games had no intention of continuing the Gears of War series in the near future, before the decision was made to sell the IP to Microsoft.

Speaking to Polygon at GDC last week, Epic CEO Tim Sweeney explained that, "We've gone through a long process of figuring out the games we're going to build at Epic worldwide in the future and we concluded that we weren't going to be building any more Gears of War.

“As much as we love the game, we're heading in a new direction."

"The core Gears values are really tied to being big event-based, single-player console games with awesome cover mechanics and other things that really didn't translate into the future approach we were taking with online games, and competitive and cooperative multiplayer,” continued Sweeney. "Because we weren't planning on building any more Gears games we were just going to let that sit on the shelf for a decade or more, in case it had any future value to us."

Instead Microsoft stepped in and bought the rights to the franchise, putting new studio Black Tusk in charge of making a new game in the series and snapping up Gears producer Rod Rod Fergusson to head the project.

"It was one of those rare moments when both Epic and Microsoft were able to make a business that was obviously best for the community,” said Sweeney. "Much better to have Microsoft building Gears games than for it to be sitting on the shelf unused by Epic.

"Selling an IP like that is a rare thing. Most companies look at it as their crown jewels but at Epic we had a practical view of it: we weren't going to build it and we realized the world wanted more Gears of War."

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 11:58:38 AM »
I know the proposed 10 year break by Epic was a long time, but hopefully MS doesn't try to turn Gears into their attempt at a COD killer and publish a new Gears title every 6 months. I like Gears, but if going to MS means diluting the space with regurgitated versions of the franchise, I'd rather skip on whatever is down the pipe. Hopefully the next release(s), focus on some kind of innovation (both from a narrative and technical standpoint).

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 12:08:51 PM »
I know the proposed 10 year break by Epic was a long time, but hopefully MS doesn't try to turn Gears into their attempt at a COD killer and publish a new Gears title every 6 months. I like Gears, but if going to MS means diluting the space with regurgitated versions of the franchise, I'd rather skip on whatever is down the pipe. Hopefully the next release(s), focus on some kind of innovation (both from a narrative and technical standpoint).

I'll be happy with a game every 2-3 years.   :)

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 02:41:49 PM »

I'll be happy with a game every 2-3 years.   :)

Yeah, I think that's the sweet spot. At one point that seemed to be the timeframe for most franchises, and it felt like it was less suffocating for both audience and developers.

Offline NeuroticAlias

• I want to break free.
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 05:05:38 PM »
I'd be happy with every,er,never!  :P
Hmmmm,is it me?

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 04:19:55 AM »
I'd be happy with every,er,never!  :P

;D

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 05:01:28 AM »
Former Xbox Live Chief Enforcer Working on Gears of War for Xbox One

Former Xbox Live director of enforcement, Stephen Toulouse, has taken a role with Gears of War developer Black Tusk Studios, as director of community engagement.

"I don't know a console gamer who doesn't remember that incredible introduction to the world of Gears of War," said Toulouse in a blog post. "I was hooked. I was sold. That was a day one purchase for me.”

"Since then Gears of War is the only title I have played every release through in coop, with my friend Mark. We'll put off playing the game until we can set aside a week to play it together. I've played multiplayer, and done the entire 50 waves of Horde mode for charity with my friend.

"So when the outstanding team at Black Tusk asked me to help them make the best Gears of War experience to date by representing the community and being their advocate, how could I say no?

As part of his new role, Toulouse will observe community feedback and filter it through to the development team.

"I don't just want us to make the best next generation Gears of War game ever,” said Toulouse. “I want to make sure that everyone playing the game today feels just as good today and down the road in their investment into our amazing world as we do. There's a Gears nation out there. I'm a part of it and it's amazing."

Offline NeuroticAlias

• I want to break free.
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 03:35:28 PM »
Puts hand up to first statement. Yep. Me. Introduce me to him Craig. ;D
Hmmmm,is it me?

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE