Author Topic: PlayStation 4  (Read 19917 times)

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
Re: PlayStation 4
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 08:16:12 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmC1gcZw6tM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmC1gcZw6tM</a>

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 11:03:16 AM »
Impressive specs.  But that has to be the ugliest prototype mock-up design for a console I've ever seen.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 06:23:49 PM »
Sony PlayStation Teases the Future!

Sony PlayStation just launched PlayStation.com/Meeting2013 which says that an event will take place on February 20th at 6 p.m. EST. Will we get the official PlayStation 4 announcement?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-3GMHIgR-U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-3GMHIgR-U</a>

Offline Autarch Kade

• This post may contain nuts.
    • Time Zone: GMT -06
    • An interestingly accurate site
  • Steam: AutarchKade
  • XBL: Autarch Kade
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 08:28:42 PM »
What I find unusual is that this event comes just five days before Destination Playstation.  If it is the PS4 announcement, perhaps Destination Playstation will be used to give more of a hands on media demonstration.
I like my women how I like my coffee: ground up and in the freezer.

The doctors say his chances are 50/50... but there's only a 10% chance of that.

Offline Maibs

• PSN: Maibs
  • Steam: Maibs
  • XBL: xXMaibXx
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 07:23:14 AM »
Probably be a new vita model :(

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 08:35:04 PM »

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 11:36:18 AM »
Speculation powers, ACTIVATE!

Offline Autarch Kade

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 07:35:03 PM »
So tomorrow is the Playstation event Sony's hosting in New York.  Personally, I'm looking forward to the release of the next Playstation, so that Gamestop has incentives for PS3 owners to trade up to it.  In other words, I'm hoping to score a cheap PS3 to play the few games that interest me.  If the PS4 has great backwards compatibility and interesting features/launch lineup, then I might get that instead.

From the recent rumors it sounds like Sony is 1 copying Xbox Smartglass, 2 allowing people to view live video of their friends on the couch playing games through their friends PS Eye, 3 adding the ability to have more than one PSN ID signed into a PS4 at once, and 4 getting Destiny well after Microsoft due to the timed exclusiveness in the leaked contracts involving Bungie Activision and Microsoft.

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
  • Some people drink Pepsi, some people drink Coke...
    • Time Zone: GMT -07
  • PSN: ZeroEquals
  • Steam: ZeroEquals
  • XBL: ZeroEquals
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 09:56:34 PM »
So tomorrow is the Playstation event Sony's hosting in New York.  Personally, I'm looking forward to the release of the next Playstation, so that Gamestop has incentives for PS3 owners to trade up to it.  In other words, I'm hoping to score a cheap PS3 to play the few games that interest me.  If the PS4 has great backwards compatibility and interesting features/launch lineup, then I might get that instead.

From the recent rumors it sounds like Sony is 1 copying Xbox Smartglass, 2 allowing people to view live video of their friends on the couch playing games through their friends PS Eye, 3 adding the ability to have more than one PSN ID signed into a PS4 at once, and 4 getting Destiny well after Microsoft due to the timed exclusiveness in the leaked contracts involving Bungie Activision and Microsoft.

I'd be shocked if both of those were the case....

Most of which sounds gimmicky and none of which makes it a gamechanger, IMO.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 09:29:08 AM »
The PS4 Will Be Out This November, And You’ll Be Able To Control It With Your Phone

A reliable Kotaku source has informed us that the PlayStation 4, codenamed Orbis, will be out this November in the United States.

Our source—the same reliable source who back in early 2012 told us the codename for Sony's next console and the codename for Microsoft's next console—tells us that there are two models planned for the new machine, and that pricing won't be announced until later this year, possibly around E3. The current plan, our source says, is to release them at $429 and $529, but that could change.

Although nothing is confirmed just yet, as we get closer and closer to the release of Orbis, which Sony is expected to officially announce during an event in New York City tomorrow night, we continue to hear more details about what will ship with the new hardware. Back in January, we learned about the PS4's new controller, which has a small touchpad in the center, and the fancy new user account system that will allow multiple people to log into one console at the same time.

New information revealed by our source suggests that on top of all that, you'll also be able to control the PS4 remotely from your tablet or smartphone. You'll be able to use a mobile device to chat with your PS4 friends or buy games which are then automatically downloaded to your machine, our source says.

Orbis is also following the path first set by Xbox Live: our source says "most" of the PS4's online features will require a premium subscription to use. Sony's new online service will be called PlayStation World, our source says, replacing PlayStation Plus.

(No word on whether that's related to PlayStation Cloud, domains for which Sony registered on Friday. We couldn't find any domains or trademarks registered for PlayStation World.)

Some other tidbits: our source says that every PS4 will come with a PlayStation Eye; that a new spectating feature will let you watch other friends play games from your console's dashboard, even when you don't own the game they're playing; and that the console will support local network play via Vita.

Also via our source, some new photos of a PS4 prototype controller, which match up with other photos that we've seen and verified. One is above. The other:

Current photos of the PS4 controller are inconsistent with some of the information we've received. For example, we've seen Orbis documentation that details a "share" button, and Edge magazine corroborated that not long after we reported it, saying that the controller's share button will record gameplay and allow you to share it online.

This controller doesn't seem to have a share button at all, although it's possible that the functionality has been wrapped into the all-purpose PlayStation button, which is a carryover from the PS3's DualShock controller.

Pictures of the prototype controller also match up with what we've reported about the touch pad and LED light, which you can see on the controller's back in the photos we've received.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 09:49:15 AM »

Offline Autarch Kade

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 11:11:36 AM »
That missing share button could be the nearly invisible button left of the triangle button.  Just sayin.

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
  • Some people drink Pepsi, some people drink Coke...
    • Time Zone: GMT -07
  • PSN: ZeroEquals
  • Steam: ZeroEquals
  • XBL: ZeroEquals
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 08:24:21 PM »
From today's presentation:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwjlg5XwwoI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwjlg5XwwoI</a>

The next PlayStation is called PlayStation 4.

Veteran designer Mark Cerny, who headed up architecture on the new console, introduced the PS4 at an event today in New York City.

"It is a powerful and accessible system," he said. "And it has a deep feature set to support the ongoing evolution of gaming itself."

The PS4 has 8 gigabytes of RAM and comes with a "massive" hard drive, Cerny said.

Controller:
You can suspend/resume the system instantly by pressing the power button. A secondary custom chip will handle downloads and uploads so you can get games onto your console even when it's turned off. You can also play games while they're being downloaded, Cerny said.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7AHxgh2VOM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7AHxgh2VOM</a>

You can also stream gameplay footage and "spectate"—that is, watch other people play games—on the new machine.

You'll also be able to play PS4 games on your Vita with a functionality they're calling "remote play." Sony says the goal is to make every single PS4 game playable on their handheld as well.

A reel of developers including Double Fine's Tim Schafer, Harmonix's Alex Rigopulos, and Ninja Theory's Tameem Antoniades all spoke about the pros of the new console, though none shared specifics about projects they were working on.

Games announced so far include Knack and Killzone: Shadowfall.

• Destiny will be out for PlayStation 4, developer Bungie announced today.
    Both the PS3 and PS4 versions will launch simultaneously, the developers said.
  • Diablo 3 is coming to PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4, Blizzard just announced.
    The console version will include new controls and a four-player single-screen co-op mode. Blizzard has promised to show off more at this year's PAX East, which comes at the end of March.
    Blizzard promised a "strategic partnership" with Sony and plans for "world domination."
  • In a presentation by Ubisoft at the PlayStation 4 event, they talked a little bit about their upcoming title, Watch Dogs...
  • Square Enix's Shinji Hashamoto took the stage at today's PS4 event to say they're working on a Final Fantasy game, and that we should "please be excited for E3 this year." That's it.
  • Media Molecule on their latest project, which uses the move controller as a sculpting tool. It looks crazy cool for you creative types.
  • Exclusive game by Sucker Punch. It sounds as if it'lll riff off the recent trend of paranoia, government and such similarly to Watch Dogs—only, there will be folks with super powers. That's because it's inFAMOUS: Second Son.
  • Gaikai's Dave Perry took the stage to announce a bunch of new "social" features for the PS4 today: including Ustream/Facebook support, streaming capabilities, and and "remote play," which allows you to play PS4 games on your Vita. "Our vision is to create the first gaming social network with meaning," he said. Perry said the long-term goal is to make "every PS4 game" playable on the PlayStation Vita.

These developers are listed as to be working on something for the new console:

Drive Club Presentation:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPnnZappr2s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPnnZappr2s</a>

The console itself wasn't shown, which might just be Sony's way of holding out for a bigger stage, (E3?).....The release window for the console is Holiday 2013, no price, bundles or specific date were announced.

Source:[Kotaku]
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:47:08 PM by zerosum »

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2013, 04:56:08 AM »
You forgot to mention how painfully boring the show was!

Watch Dogs looked awesome though.  :)

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2013, 05:07:11 AM »
Sony tells Eurogamer: PlayStation 4 will not block used games
Shuhei Yoshida confirms it. Plus: source tells EG patent wasn't PS4-related.

Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida has told Eurogamer that PlayStation 4 will not block the use of second-hand games, contrary to various reports, speculation and even a Sony patent unearthed last month.

I sat down with Yoshida a few hours after the PS4 reveal tonight and one of the first things I asked was whether used games would be blocked.

"Do you want us to do that?" he asked.

No, I said. I think, if you buy something on a disc, that you have a kind of moral contract with the person you've bought it from that you retain some of that value and you can pass it on.

Do you agree, I asked?

"Yes. That's the general expectation by consumers," said Yoshida. "They purchase physical form, they want to use it everywhere, right? So that's my expectation."

So if someone buys a PlayStation 4 game, I asked, you're not going to stop them reselling it?

"Aaaah," was Yoshida's initial answer, but seemingly only because he'd forgotten his line. "So what was our official answer to our internal question?" he asked his Japanese PR advisor. The advisor stepped in but didn't seem to answer clearly, at least to my ears. Yoshida then took control again firmly:

"So, used games can play on PS4. How is that?"

I said I thought that was fine.

Interestingly, I also spoke to a Sony source elsewhere at the event this evening who told me that the anti used-game patent discovered last month was actually nothing to do with PlayStation 4 at all.

The patent suggested that discs would come branded with a contactless tag that could be recognised and read by your console, which would then bind it to you and prevent you from selling it on.

But whatever reason Sony did have for patenting it, it sounds like it wasn't for its next-generation console. Hopefully Microsoft will also avoid this ludicrous technology with its next-generation Xbox as well.

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads