Author Topic: Vegetarian/Vegan?  (Read 1863 times)

Offline BackupLight

• Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: OutwardSix
  • XBL: BackupLight
Vegetarian/Vegan?
« on: December 27, 2011, 12:25:35 PM »
This is random, but out of curiosity - are any of you either vegetarians or vegans? I'm about to try to make some veggie marshmallows since they're one of like, only two things I've "missed" since I went veggie years ago. It might go horribly. It might work! Who knows. Feels like a really expensive experiment so far, though the ingredients bought could make a lot more total than I intend to make. Mostly I'm just looking for someone to share in my soon to be epic fail. ;D

And on a community where I imagine there's more carnivorous males than not, thus ends my least masculine post ever. ...I'm drinking a beer if it helps any.  :-\
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 12:45:20 PM by BackupLight »

Offline sambo

• Greatness Personified
  • No cuts, no buts, no coconuts?
  • Last.fm: sambomaher
  • XBL: ox SAMBO xo
Re: Vegetarian/Vegan?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 12:54:45 PM »
. ...I'm drinking a beer if it helps any.  :-\

Sorry to be very inconsiderate and very naive,  But what part of a animal does a marshmallow come from? ;)

Offline BackupLight

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 02:11:28 PM »
Best tshirt ever mate. :D

Marshmallows have gelatin in them. I can't describe it without it sounding like I'm trying to gross people out, so I'll just steal from Wiki:

"Gelatin (or gelatine) is a translucent, colorless, brittle (when dry), flavorless solid substance, derived from the collagen inside animals' skin and bones. It is commonly used as a gelling agent in food, pharmaceuticals, photography, and cosmetic manufacturing."

It's in loads of stuff you'd never thing of - cheesecakes, most chewy sweets, that sort of thing. Which is annoying, because you'd never expect them to need it. Cheaper I guess.

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 07:05:53 PM »
They use fish guts to settle beer, so technically it's not vegetarian. Not that you care and neither do i, i'm a vegetarian and drink beer...... lots and lots of beer

Offline BackupLight

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 06:02:53 AM »
They use fish guts to settle beer, so technically it's not vegetarian. Not that you care and neither do i, i'm a vegetarian and drink beer...... lots and lots of beer

Wow. I didn't know that! Yet another incredulous one, since it's the last thing I expected I'd need to "check" on. Gotta wonder how they worked out chucking fish guts in there would help in any way.

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 07:47:15 AM »
it settles the yeast, you can get 'vegetarian beer' but i doubt it'd be cheap. My mate has worked in a pub for a long time, so i knew straight away but it's something you wouldn't find a new or even long term vege knowing. You can always drink strictly spirits if it bothers you.

I like to think the vege fence is pretty wide and we can sit on it as much as possible, we're technically better people than everyone else anyway ;) lulz

Offline BackupLight

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 08:44:06 AM »
it settles the yeast, you can get 'vegetarian beer' but i doubt it'd be cheap. My mate has worked in a pub for a long time, so i knew straight away but it's something you wouldn't find a new or even long term vege knowing. You can always drink strictly spirits if it bothers you.

I like to think the vege fence is pretty wide and we can sit on it as much as possible, we're technically better people than everyone else anyway ;) lulz

I agree about the vege fence thing, the effort is there. All a matter of personal choice, really- I'd have had a hard time forcing non-turkey Christmas on the family when I'd offered to cook for them. ;D

Offline Adult Poncho

• Time Zone: GMT -06
  • Last.fm: AdultPoncho
  • XBL: Adult Poncho
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 06:20:43 PM »
So how did the vegan marshmallows turn out? If you ever need any good recipes you should  check out ieatfood.net.

Offline BackupLight

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 08:36:42 PM »
So how did the vegan marshmallows turn out? If you ever need any good recipes you should  check out ieatfood.net.

Really weird! In the end I bailed on the vegan part and had to use eggs, and initially they seemed alright but just not as chewy as their original counterparts. But still decent, the taste was right on - so they went down well with the family. They don't keep well though, as with anything sugary - went sticky very quickly. Still, worth a shot - a lot of effort though. Next time I might just order some pre-made online :D

Offline Autarch Kade

• This post may contain nuts.
    • Time Zone: GMT -06
    • An interestingly accurate site
  • Steam: AutarchKade
  • XBL: Autarch Kade
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 04:27:55 AM »
I don't really understand vegetarians.  They'll eat live plants but not dead animals.
I like my women how I like my coffee: ground up and in the freezer.

The doctors say his chances are 50/50... but there's only a 10% chance of that.

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads