Author Topic: [July 8 2010] New Site Discussion  (Read 18315 times)

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2010, 06:12:10 PM »
I'm playing around with new features (news fader, alternate headers, etc.).  If you see something you do or don't like, let me know.  I am spending a lot of time here at night while I'm half asleep.  Without your input I might take us in a bizarre direction.  lol

ps.  These are not the site designs that I MENTIONED EARLIER.  Those will come later, and I'll will let everyone vote on their favorites before making any permenant changes.

Offline bobbus74

• Time Zone: GMT
    • XBoxMental - Mental about XBox (>.<)
  • Last.fm: Bobbus74
  • PSN: Bobbus74
  • Steam: Bobbus74
  • XBL: Bobbus74
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2010, 04:39:51 PM »
Anyone else find it frustrating that the main site is sort of seperate from the forums? Without reinstalling the site from scratch and starting with an intergrated forum, there's not really an easy work around unfortunately. I did have one idea though an that was to use a wrapper. The wrapper basically allows one webpage to be shown inside another the same way that iframe does. With this in mind I just knocked up a quick wrapper for the forum. You guys can test it out by going to the home page http://360fahrenheit.com/fahrenh1_joomla/ and clicking the 'forum wrapper' link :

Unfortunately it won't display with the same dimensions as normal as the Joomla template of the main site is fixed width. If we were to change the template to a fluid width one we may be able to increase the width of the forum within it.
Anyway, let me know what you think?

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2010, 06:19:43 PM »
tis too small for my taste, you'd have to jam the contents bar across the far left or right at the top and then make the right hand section disappear, so it's all just forum and little bit of front page either on the left or the top.

I like the front page, i like the chat box and the reviews and news getting front page as it were. So perhaps have contents and the chat box on the top of the page with everything else below it the forum.

NeuroticSarge

« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2010, 02:11:14 AM »
Poor Tara,all that work she done and everyone has ripped it to shreds!

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2010, 03:06:42 AM »
far as we know, neato is working on combining the front page with the forums so we don't have to log in twice and we can have news, reviews, etc

Offline bobbus74

• XBoxMental - Mental about XBox (>.<)
  • Last.fm: Bobbus74
  • PSN: Bobbus74
  • Steam: Bobbus74
  • XBL: Bobbus74
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2010, 03:43:07 AM »
That'd be good, involves a lot of work though. I suspect he will have to merge the 2 mysql databases into 1.  Possible but problematic.
With regards to the forum looking too small within the main site, that could be fixed by changing the theme to fluid width theme. Fluid width themes change to whatever resolution each person is viewing on.
Anyway, no biggie, just trying to help.

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2010, 05:39:42 AM »
no that's great, it has to be done. Someones gotta make both the front page and the forums work together. Most people head straight to the forums, that sort of makes the frontpage redundant.... if it's there in the corner more people will just gravitate towards it after they have spammed their hearts out.

DFUSIONITE

« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2010, 09:43:31 AM »
good idea bobbus. I like it, but i also agree that it's a bit small. I'm sure between you all you can come up with a good solution.

Offline TaraJayne

• Way Beyond Awesome
  • Twitter: TaraJayne360
  • Last.fm: TaraJayne360
  • XBL: TaraJayne
« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2010, 10:20:54 AM »
Poor Tara,all that work she done and everyone has ripped it to shreds!
Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion I guess. It was my first attempt at a proper website so I am not that bothered. I have had no teaching and I did quite well.
I appreciate your comment though Sarge. Thank you :)
Can't wait for Shenmue 3

I hate jokes that rely on visual imagery.

I've had it right up to here with them.

NeuroticSarge

« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2010, 11:27:16 AM »
As far as I'm aware,Tara is,was and will allways be our leader,so show some respect.She started this community and it seems like some people are circling like vultures waiting to rip the carcass to bits.Some of this sh*t going on is really pissing me off.I know some of you want to make the site better,but why?
That's my rant out of the way. >:(

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2010, 01:15:40 PM »
I know some of you want to make the site better,but why?

To make the community grow and have more people to game with, chat to and make stupid comments? why else, world peace, total interweb domination? More fun, less glum.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:31:19 PM by Failed »

NeuroticSarge

« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2010, 01:21:46 PM »
I know some of you want to make the site better,but why?

To make the community grow and have more people to game with, chat to and make stupid comments? why else, world peace, total interweb domination? More fun, less glum.

Your not getting the point.

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2010, 01:31:34 PM »
As far as i'm aware, this is a community and not a clan, there are no leaders as far as i'm concerned, theres people that do more work than others, people who dedicate their time to bring you the latest news, get people to turn up to game nights, get new people to turn up and generally make sure sh*t doesn't explode.

TJ used to make everything work, recruit, do game nights, sort people out and make sh*t NOT EXPLODE. No wonder she left doing all that sh*t, i sometimes lack the enthuiasm to write a game night post because i know even if 20 people say they'll turn up i can struggle to get 8 playing, i'd hate to have to recruit, make the site work and mollycoddle people who weren't happy with whatver new stuff that was happening.

TJ made it all happen, not always alone, she's got a great comunity that has helped her, but she's stepped down now and just wants to be a regular member without the responsibility. The people who are 'circling like vultures' are trying to make sure her great work and legacy stays put, so we can all enjoy the benefits of our great community.

I have the upmost respect, love and loyalty to TJ for what she has done (as alot of you have), but it could have all easily died when she stepped down and everyone has done a great job of trying to keep TJ's community alive and well. Stop being so shortsighted about people trying to help make sure this place stays with us for many more years.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2010, 03:36:11 PM »

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2010, 03:50:00 PM »
i can think of no one better to make sure the place doesn't explode ...... except TJ ofcourse :P

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads