Author Topic: Rock Band: Nickelback  (Read 1055 times)

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
Rock Band: Nickelback
« on: August 13, 2009, 06:50:09 AM »
To "deflect all curiosity"

Rock Band: Nickelback was the codename Harmonix used in order to keep the Rock Band Network under wraps.

The Rock Band Network, a "revolutionary system that will allow bands, studios and record labels to create and sell playable game content from their master recordings" using the same tools as Harmonix's developers, is coming soon to the Xbox 360 version of Rock Band. So revolutionary is this concept, Harmonix went to great lengths to keep the project's development secret.

In order to keep prying eyes away from the developing project, Harmonix gave it the unofficial in-house code name "Rock Band: Nickelback", on the theory that "the name of the quintessentially generic modern rock group would be enough to deflect all curiosity," according to a write-up in the NYT.

Harmonix are pretty stoked about their new Network, hoping that it will "explode... to be the new music industry." So, naturally, they didn't want word slipping out early. Early support for the Network is already exciting, with the Sub Pop label intending to convert their existing catalogue, which includes early Nirvana material, into Rock Band tracks.

Nickelback is the perfect band to destroy all interest in a project. In addition to being sh*t, they are generally disliked by anyone with functioning eardrums. They especially made enemies of rhythm action enthusiasts when, back in November of last year, they blamed the lack of new US bands on games such as Guitar Hero, and urged kids to "Set down the Guitar Hero" and "learn how to play an actual guitar."

We're just thankful Harmonix isn't actually serious about the whole Nickelback thing. It'd be cheaper just to get one Nickelback song and play it multiple times.

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
Re: Rock Band: Nickelback
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 08:30:41 AM »
That'll keep the tycoon-like music moguls happy now they get to overprice their 'music' to us.

i'd like some classic style rockband, Rock Band: Tchaikovsky

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 08:34:59 AM »
Nickelback is the perfect band to destroy all interest in a project. In addition to being sh*t, they are generally disliked by anyone with functioning eardrums.

never a truer word said

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 06:43:55 AM »
Rock Band Network Store to offer free song demos

Even if you're not willing to spend 20-40 hours creating an original Rock Band song, the upcoming addition of the Rock Band Network to Rock Band 2 will prove to be a worthwhile experience for all fans of the franchise. A new patch will add the Rock Band Network Store to Rock Band 2 this November, and will grant PS3 and Xbox 360 owners access to a whole new catalog of music that goes well beyond the scope of official Rock Band Weekly releases.

To prepare for what could be an overwhelming amount of new content, the new store will offer an even more comprehensive sorting method. Options available in the front menu will grant easy access to the "Top 10," "Harmonix's Picks," "Random," and "Browse." Players will be able to browse music by artist (alphabetically), or by an expansive amount of sub-genres, as eclectic as speed metal and rockabilly.

None of the songs on the Rock Band Network will be free, ranging from $1 to $3 in price (set by the artist). However, players are encouraged to try out these user-provided songs through free demos. Every song on the Rock Band Network will offer a free demo lasting one minute or 35 percent of the song's length, whichever is shorter. The songs download to the system hard drive and can be played from the Quick Play menu as any other track. The song will abruptly end when the demo is over, and players will be given an option to quit, purchase the song, or delete it from the hard drive. Purchasing the song will grant immediate access to the full track; there's no need to re-download the entire song.

We love being able to try free demos, and we're certain that Rock Band Network will prove to be a new way for people to discover music. However, why keep this feature exclusive to user-created songs? We pressed Harmonix to confirm the expansion of a demo option into licensed DLC releases, but for now, there are no plans to transplant the demo experience into the full Rock Band Store. Boo.

Offline TaraJayne

• Way Beyond Awesome
  • Twitter: TaraJayne360
  • Last.fm: TaraJayne360
  • XBL: TaraJayne
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 10:32:23 AM »
Why the hell do so many people like them? I think they are a load of sh*t. And they have the nerve to call themselves rock.....cock more like
Can't wait for Shenmue 3

I hate jokes that rely on visual imagery.

I've had it right up to here with them.

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 10:36:35 AM »
ouch! sounds like TJ had a bad groupie experience  :P

Offline TaraJayne

• Way Beyond Awesome
  • Twitter: TaraJayne360
  • Last.fm: TaraJayne360
  • XBL: TaraJayne
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 10:37:32 AM »
They suck I hate them. They just annoy me so much >:(
Can't wait for Shenmue 3

I hate jokes that rely on visual imagery.

I've had it right up to here with them.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 10:26:28 AM »
They suck I hate them. They just annoy me so much >:(

Today, I have to agree.

I saw Nickelback at a small music festival back in 1999/2000 before Silver Side Up lauched their fame.  Nickelback and Union Underground put on an awesome show.  Unfortunately, Nickelback got famous and Union Underground broke up.  I now believe the opposite would have been better.   :D

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads