Author Topic: The Walking Dead (TV)  (Read 16835 times)

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
Re: The Walking Dead (TV)
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2010, 04:58:14 PM »
Perhaps due to the overwhelming popularity of the show, there was pressure to cut the team before contracts were up for renegotiation?

I don't know how a lot of that behind-the-scenes stuff works in TV.

Offline Handshakes

• Super Dooper Member
  • Now with almost no cannibalism!
    • Conservative Gamer Bloke - My Blog
  • Last.fm: Hndshks
  • OnLive: Handshakes
  • PSN: ShakesyJ
  • Steam: handshakes
  • XBL: Handshakes
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2010, 10:24:58 PM »
nope, because torchwood has gone shockingly bad, i stopped watching it when they killed off most of the characters-i hope this doesn't happen to this

I hope they *do* kill off most of the characters... Seriously, this is a zombie horror show and almost nobody with a name has died yet. Honestly, try to name one character that you cared about who has died!

In fact, just try to name one character. The characters are so badly written up that I don't know any of their names, despite having seen every episode so far. I end up referring to them by the best identifier I can find for them like "the black guy" or "the old dude", which I suppose is fair because that is clearly how they are written.

Anyhow, Crazy shovel guy and strong-woman-archetype-number-5 chick's pointless sister are the only real casualties so far. Wow. What an emotional moment it was when we watched what's-her-face have to shoot her nameless, almost completely lineless sister in the head. Or how about watching that-one-guy ask to be left by the side of the rode? Powerful stuff. Snooooooze.

For a split second there I thought things were going to take off when they went back into town to get the guns back and rescue cliche redneck guy's cliche redneck brother. They had all the makings of a good horror movie troop: A hero, an a-hole, and not one but TWO minorities to be eaten first. But no, they all made it out alive and, without even finding cliche redneck guy's cliche redneck brother, the entire trip was essentially pointless as far as I am concerned.

I was really stoked for this show, but it has been losing me with each new episode. For an hour long show remarkably little gets accomplished with each episode. It is just a bunch of forced, obvious drama revolving around a bunch of characters that are as two dimensional as the comic book images they are based on.

On a slightly related note, I watched the 80's remake of The Blob the other day. Frank Darabont happened to produce that as well, and some of the cast of The Walking Dead are in it. The Walking Dead could learn a thing or two from The Blob, such as how to kill off a likable character for real effect... A character like the one played by Jeffrey DeMunn, who was the sheriff in The Blob, and who plays the-old-dude in The Walking Dead (I call him Bill, because he reminds me of Bill from Left 4 Dead).
Your mom!

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2010, 11:45:17 PM »
I can't disagree with the points Shakes makes.  But I still love the show.

I think what keeps me invested in the show is the combination of my love of the comic, and the fact that the show has absolutely nothing to do with the comic (so far).  I went into the show thinking I already know it, but I don't which was a surprising relief.

Offline dfusioness

• Way Beyond Awesome
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • XBL: xbn darkdesire
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2010, 08:57:17 AM »
nope, because torchwood has gone shockingly bad, i stopped watching it when they killed off most of the characters-i hope this doesn't happen to this

I hope they *do* kill off most of the characters... Seriously, this is a zombie horror show and almost nobody with a name has died yet. Honestly, try to name one character that you cared about who has died!

In fact, just try to name one character. The characters are so badly written up that I don't know any of their names, despite having seen every episode so far. I end up referring to them by the best identifier I can find for them like "the black guy" or "the old dude", which I suppose is fair because that is clearly how they are written.

Anyhow, Crazy shovel guy and strong-woman-archetype-number-5 chick's pointless sister are the only real casualties so far. Wow. What an emotional moment it was when we watched what's-her-face have to shoot her nameless, almost completely lineless sister in the head. Or how about watching that-one-guy ask to be left by the side of the rode? Powerful stuff. Snooooooze.

For a split second there I thought things were going to take off when they went back into town to get the guns back and rescue cliche redneck guy's cliche redneck brother. They had all the makings of a good horror movie troop: A hero, an a-hole, and not one but TWO minorities to be eaten first. But no, they all made it out alive and, without even finding cliche redneck guy's cliche redneck brother, the entire trip was essentially pointless as far as I am concerned.

I was really stoked for this show, but it has been losing me with each new episode. For an hour long show remarkably little gets accomplished with each episode. It is just a bunch of forced, obvious drama revolving around a bunch of characters that are as two dimensional as the comic book images they are based on.

On a slightly related note, I watched the 80's remake of The Blob the other day. Frank Darabont happened to produce that as well, and some of the cast of The Walking Dead are in it. The Walking Dead could learn a thing or two from The Blob, such as how to kill off a likable character for real effect... A character like the one played by Jeffrey DeMunn, who was the sheriff in The Blob, and who plays the-old-dude in The Walking Dead (I call him Bill, because he reminds me of Bill from Left 4 Dead).

the horse- he was lovely

Offline Handshakes

• Super Dooper Member
  • Now with almost no cannibalism!
    • Conservative Gamer Bloke - My Blog
  • Last.fm: Hndshks
  • OnLive: Handshakes
  • PSN: ShakesyJ
  • Steam: handshakes
  • XBL: Handshakes
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2010, 07:12:59 PM »
You got me there Fizz! I was definitely saddened to see horsey go.

Also, I should point out that for all my railing against the show I still enjoy it. It is the only tv show that I watch atm.

You know me, I have to spit venom at everything, including (or especially) the things that I love. It must be the German in me.

Also also, I spelled road wrong in my rant, indicating my level of tired/crankiness at the time.
Your mom!

Offline dfusioness

• Way Beyond Awesome
  • XBL: xbn darkdesire
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »
your german, im french, technically i should hate you, but its christmas, lets go play football  ;D

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2010, 04:16:28 PM »
Just watched the final episode, very good show indeed, only 10+ months to wait for Season 2!  :(

Offline xnightcrawlerxx

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2010, 05:00:44 PM »
when this show was first announced i thought it could be my favorite new show of the season. between my awesome zombie groomsmen's cake still fresh on my mind, me finally getting around to reading The Zombie Survival Guide, and this show, it was definitely a season for zombies. but after the first two episodes i really lost interest in the show and havent seen any of the other episodes. i dont know if it was the soap opera-like love triangle or the fact that no one seemed to die, but it just couldnt hold my attention. i may try to check it out again, but i doubt it. just thought i'd put in my two cents.  :)

Offline Maibs

• PSN: Maibs
  • Steam: Maibs
  • XBL: xXMaibXx
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2010, 05:43:14 PM »
Really enjoying so far, keep forgetting to download so just been watching on FX, US 1 or 2 weeks ahead?

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2010, 06:06:44 PM »
Really enjoying so far, keep forgetting to download so just been watching on FX, US 1 or 2 weeks ahead?

1 week ahead mate.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2010, 03:10:22 PM »
when this show was first announced i thought it could be my favorite new show of the season. between my awesome zombie groomsmen's cake ...

I NEED PICS!!!!!

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2011, 03:44:21 PM »
The Walking Dead Season 2 to Premiere with 90-Minute Episode

AMC announced today that season 2 of "The Walking Dead" will kick off with an extra half hour on Sunday, October 16 at 9pm ET:

AMC's critically acclaimed original series, "The Walking Dead," is back with its much anticipated second 13 episode season. Kicking-off a two week long Fearfest, the network, once again, presents viewers with a 90-minute premiere episode, airing at 9 PM ET on Sunday, October 16th, with six one-hour episodes in the weeks following. The final six episodes of the season commences on Sunday, February 12th at 9pm ET. The 90 minute version is also scheduled to be launched globally on all Fox International Channels, following the US premiere the week of October 17th-23rd. Season two reaches FOX audiences in 122 countries, speaking 35 languages and is seen by over 200 million households globally.

[source]

Offline HurricanE 184

• PSN: HurricanE_184
  • XBL: HurricanE 184
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2011, 07:53:13 PM »
I can't wait...love this show!

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2011, 05:25:45 AM »
Cool, two weeks earlier than i expected,  bonus.  :) :)

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2011, 05:31:20 AM »
yeeeehhhhh!!! psyched

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads