Author Topic: PlayStation 4  (Read 19922 times)

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
  • Some people drink Pepsi, some people drink Coke...
    • Time Zone: GMT -07
  • PSN: ZeroEquals
  • Steam: ZeroEquals
  • XBL: ZeroEquals
Re: PlayStation 4
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 11:57:05 AM »
You forgot to mention how painfully boring the show was!

Watch Dogs looked awesome though.  :)

Ha!   ;D

It did have the feeling like some kind of a seminar rather than an entertainment presentation. Hopefully E3(which is where I think most of the pertinent announcements/reveals will be made) has a more worked out format.

EDIT:
This works much better actually- ;)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rJDn0jRnUQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rJDn0jRnUQ</a>
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 03:01:49 PM by zerosum »

Offline Autarch Kade

• This post may contain nuts.
    • Time Zone: GMT -06
    • An interestingly accurate site
  • Steam: AutarchKade
  • XBL: Autarch Kade
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 03:25:38 PM »
They didn't show the console itself.  They didn't mention at the event if it includes a physical disc drive, such as blu-ray.  These were simple to avoid but costly mistakes.
I like my women how I like my coffee: ground up and in the freezer.

The doctors say his chances are 50/50... but there's only a 10% chance of that.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 04:05:42 PM »
The new controller design is a great improvement.  It looks heftier and has a 360-esque contour which would finally make holding a PlayStation controller not give me hand cramps.  However, I'm pretty set on the reverse dpad/analog design of the 360 controller.  It's how my brain is and will likely always be wired.

Sony tells Eurogamer: PlayStation 4 will not block used games

Thanks jeebus for that.  If Microsoft had any plans of implementing this, they'll have to reconsider.  Otherwise, Sony will surely dominate this gen's console war.

Offline Autarch Kade

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2013, 08:12:14 PM »
One thing to note about the used games bit is if Sony offers games digitally to buyers for the same price as retail, and you can play within seconds of choosing to get the game (much faster than driving to a store) then there won't be nearly as many discs being traded in to gamestop.  Why spend gas money, take more time to buy a game on a format that can be lost or damaged, when it can be had now and forever by purchasing on the playstation store?

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2013, 10:46:56 PM »
One thing to note about the used games bit is if Sony offers games digitally to buyers for the same price as retail, and you can play within seconds of choosing to get the game (much faster than driving to a store) then there won't be nearly as many discs being traded in to gamestop.  Why spend gas money, take more time to buy a game on a format that can be lost or damaged, when it can be had now and forever by purchasing on the playstation store?

If that's the case, there better be multiple tera-bytes worth of space on those "massive" hard drives...

Offline Autarch Kade

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2013, 12:03:34 PM »

If that's the case, there better be multiple tera-bytes worth of space on those "massive" hard drives...

Honestly, even with the huge size of games, there wouldn't need to be.  Just save games is what you really need kept on them for games.  If you're done playing a game you can safely delete it, because of the background downloading and play while downloading tech.  When you can start playing a game within seconds after months of having it deleted off your hard drive, that's great and really cuts down the need of terabytes :)

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2013, 01:48:19 PM »

Honestly, even with the huge size of games, there wouldn't need to be.  Just save games is what you really need kept on them for games.  If you're done playing a game you can safely delete it, because of the background downloading and play while downloading tech.  When you can start playing a game within seconds after months of having it deleted off your hard drive, that's great and really cuts down the need of terabytes :)
I'm sure more details will unfold in the next months, but I wonder how much bandwidth would be required to have that 'play while downloading' system run without crunching to a halt, or impeding a smooth experience.

I'm hoping Sony isn't assuming high-speed connections are the norm worldwide. The frustration of having some digital service function correctly versus going to a shop and picking up a disc ready for play might turn into an issue for some. Props to Sony for pushing their tech but it's good to hear they're not blanketing out the disc market.

In other news:

In an interview after this week's unveiling, Hiroshi Kawano, President of Sony Computer Entertainment Japan, was asked by 4Gamer about the PS4's design. "If I'm being honest, I also haven't seen its final design. Even the controller we showed today, I saw the final design around yesterday or so."

That doesn't mean Kawano and other Sony brass have no clue what the PS4 will look like. Certainly, they've seen prototypes and mock-ups—just as they have for the hardware they revealed at this week's event.

About the PS4 controller, which was shown at the PS4 announcement, Kawano explains, "I've seen numerous prototypes from when it was still codenamed 'Jedai', and I heard that an onboard touch pad was in the final specs."

Add Kawano's comments to Sony Computer of America boss Jack Tretton's remarks that the "mass-production box" was "still in development in terms of final specs and design", and, yes, you can see why Sony didn't wheel out the PS4.

It wasn't just because, as PlayStation's Shuhei Yoshida told Kotaku, Sony wants there to be something for you to look forward to. It's because Sony still doesn't know what the final machine will look like.

Source: [Kotaku]

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2013, 05:46:55 AM »

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2013, 05:52:12 AM »
PlayStation 4 User Interface Screens

Sony has released a batch of high res screenshots of the PlayStation 4′s user interface.

The screens show a number of various aspects such as the downloads library, social profiles, mobile platforms, live streaming options, and much more. Hopefully we can see the PlayStation 4 itself at E3.

Offline Autarch Kade

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2013, 09:14:40 PM »
The 4K movies I can't really see much use from if it is a download service.  If you can watch while it downloads, you'd need a fast connection to not have any pauses for buffering.  If it is download, then watch, it'd be a huge portion of a hard drive.

Streaming makes sense, except for buffering again.  However, I don't see people wanting to keep 100+ Gigabytes of one movie on their hard drive after they've watched it already.  So I don't think a download will be wise, just streaming if the network is fast enough.

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2013, 01:18:34 AM »
@ 2013 GDC, Activision shows off a demo of what might be possible on the next generation of consoles:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2GhOLHzI1c" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2GhOLHzI1c</a>

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2013, 11:49:10 AM »
Cage: What we are doing with PlayStation 4 is 'another world'
"If I showed it to you, you would be amazed" says Heavy Rain creative lead

The creative director of Heavy Rain studio Quantic Dream has suggested that his mystery PS4 project will provide a distinct visual leap over current generation technology.

In an interview with CVG, Cage assured that the graphical quality of his upcoming project (Beyond: Two Souls) is entirely representative of PS3 capabilities and not a next-gen upgrade. There has been some suspicion that the project, starring Ellen Page, was in development for both consoles, and that the highly detailed renders of the game were of the next-gen version.

"I know that some people are surprised by what we can do on PS3 with Beyond, and we have heard many people even question whether this is a current-gen game. But trust me, if I showed you what we're doing with the PS4 you would be amazed. It's really surprising. It's another world," Cage said.

He added that the key features of the next console cycle will be "more subtlety, more nuance, more detail".

In February, during Sony's official PlayStation 4 press conference in New York, Cage took stage to showcase early demonstrations of what the studio can do with the advanced tech.

A growing number of developers have praised Sony's new system for both its perceived developer-centric approach, along with its 8GB of super-fast GDDR5 unified memory. Epic Games exec Mark Rein has likened the PlayStation 4 to "a really perfect gaming PC".

However, the console's architecture is completely different to the Cell-based PS3, meaning that it is unlikely that games such as Beyond will be coded and rewritten for both systems.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce9aKIZiArc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce9aKIZiArc</a>

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2013, 12:19:56 AM »
PS4 Console Revealed / Priced [$399]  - [€399] - [£349] / No DRM Announced -

Usually, verdicts of "winners" and "losers" coming out of E3 press conferences are little more than armchair pondering. One person's view of some competing events that don't really matter. But today, boy, it's hard seeing Sony's press conference as anything but a punch in the face to Microsoft's Xbox One ambitions.

The second half of Sony's conference saw them systematically taking apart Microsoft's entire platform policy with the Xbox One, presenting the PlayStation 4 as a console able to undercut almost everything Microsoft was offering. Or, in many cases, forcing consumers to endure.

The Xbox One costs $499? Oh, OK, the PlayStation 4 costs $399. The Xbox One imposes online checks? The PS4 doesn't. The Xbox One has restrictions on the use of your disc-based games? The PS4 does no such thing.

It's a series of calculated business decisions - and they are calculated, right down to the fact Microsoft's policies were directly referenced by Sony on-stage - that have resulted in one of the most lop-sided public reactions to an E3 press conference in recent memory. No wonder Jack Tretton spent the last 20 minutes giggling like a schoolgirl.

Seriously, people are going crazy. Twitter and forums are overflowing with people declaring everything from "BEST E3 EVER" to "RIP XBOX ONE". I've been doing this job for a long time now, and I've never seen a reaction like it.

By listening to how upset people had become over Microsoft's restrictions and demands, and catering their console to appeal to them, Sony has instantly won itself legions of Xbox converts and new fans.

Is it enough to matter? Who knows. The next 5-10 years will see many ups and downs for both Microsoft and Sony in this latest round of the console race. Sony's exclusives might under-perform. Microsoft's new Kinect could be seen as a wonder-device, much like Nintendo's Wii Remote, unlocking mass market sales. To determine a "winner" in this contest before a console has even been sold would be crazy.

But what's important today is that, unlike the last time they unveiled a new console's price at E3, Sony are off to a very strong start.

Source: [Kotaku]
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 01:04:31 AM by zerosum »

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2013, 02:51:22 AM »
Wasn't staying up to watch Sony's event so just watched bits this morning, they've well and truly pissed all over MS's chips and fair bloody play to them, hopefully MS will back track (again) and change their stupid features, won't happen though!

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2013, 04:38:22 AM »
The PlayStation 4 Is Region-Free

The PS4's lack of online requirements or used games DRM has been cause for celebration for many, but for me, as someone who lives in neither the US or Japan, one thing was even more important. Whether the PS4 was, like its predecessor, region-free.

According to SCE boss Shuhei Yoshida, it is.

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads