Author Topic: --- The Future? ---  (Read 2889 times)

Offline bobbus74

• Time Zone: GMT
    • XBoxMental - Mental about XBox (>.<)
  • Last.fm: Bobbus74
  • PSN: Bobbus74
  • Steam: Bobbus74
  • XBL: Bobbus74
--- The Future? ---
« on: April 09, 2010, 05:48:32 PM »
ok, first things first, I would like to thank Tara for the work she has put in on this site. It really is time consuming running a site and trying to continually improve it.
Now apart from Sambo, I don't know any of you personally but what I do know is that there is a great community here. Building a community is one of the hardest things to achieve but here, the foundations are already set. It would definitely be a shame to see it go down the pan so I thought I would run some ideas by you all. Tara, obviously you will have the final say but I'm just putting it out there for you and the other members of 360DF.

I have set up my own site recently which is basically geared around Xbox gaming too. I started it really as a bit of a hobby to teach myself a few things around site building. It has developed into pretty much a functioning site albeit with a few teething problems. I have it hosted on a free plan so its not actually costing anything to run at the moment.
Now the reason I'm rambling on about this is basically to offer my sevices.
If you guys here would like a new place to hang out then I'm quite willing to invite you all there. Maybe though you are not happy at the thought of leaving the 360Degrees name behind.
If you all decide to stay here under the 360DF moniker, thats fine of course. I would say that rebuilding the site with integrated forums would be a good idea though. It may also be possible to migrate the existing forum's content to a new one by backing up and importing the database (not always a straightforward as it should be though).

Post your thoughts on the issue please and hopefully we can come up with a solution.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 05:55:39 PM by bobbus74 »

Offline TaraJayne

• Way Beyond Awesome
  • Twitter: TaraJayne360
  • Last.fm: TaraJayne360
  • XBL: TaraJayne
Re: --- The Future? ---
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 06:06:01 PM »
Fcking hell would you be as quick in my grave ;D lmao Just a joke we have spoke in pm about this.
Thank you bobbus your ideas are most welcome.
 I will follow everyone else (like a sheep) I just don't want to be a leader anymore. I havn't been the same since I went to Wales ;)
I do still want to be a member though . I think Neato may be taking over anyway.
Can't wait for Shenmue 3

I hate jokes that rely on visual imagery.

I've had it right up to here with them.

Offline bobbus74

• XBoxMental - Mental about XBox (>.<)
  • Last.fm: Bobbus74
  • PSN: Bobbus74
  • Steam: Bobbus74
  • XBL: Bobbus74
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 06:07:34 PM »
Fcking hell would you be as quick in my grave ;D lmao Just a joke we have spoke in pm about this.
Was worried you'd see it like that  :-[

Like I say, just putting it out there, no pressure :)

I havn't been the same since I went to Wales ;)
Yeah I've heard it does strange things to you, that place.

Offline TaraJayne

• Way Beyond Awesome
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 06:14:33 PM »
Was worried you'd see it like that  :-[
I was just kidding. I really don't see it that way  :)
Can't wait for Shenmue 3

Offline sambo

• Greatness Personified
  • No cuts, no buts, no coconuts?
  • Last.fm: sambomaher
  • XBL: ox SAMBO xo
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 06:15:46 PM »
I just did a massive post about this wherre did it go?

Offline TaraJayne

• Way Beyond Awesome
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 06:16:50 PM »
I just did a massive post about this wherre did it go?

I dont know. What did you post?
Can't wait for Shenmue 3

Offline sambo

• Greatness Personified
  • No cuts, no buts, no coconuts?
  • Last.fm: sambomaher
  • XBL: ox SAMBO xo
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 06:28:15 PM »
right start again.

I think it is clear from the news that enough people are willing to invest in keeping the site alive, So moving to another site I don't believe is an option. The 360 fahrenheit name and community must and will be kept. I think the main problem is the actually keeping of the main site. The forums look after themselves thanks to the likes of Craig (Who keeps up to date with all the news), failed and Sarge etc. I think it is more a case of who can look after the main site, Who is technically good at that sort of thing. i know you are very good and experienced at that sort of thing Bobbus, And I would welcome you to have a say on that side of things, And if you could migrate your community into this one would be a positive step in my openion. But this would have to be agreed wit all the other members.
 The current 360 fahrenheit members have to agree on whatever forward motion we all take, They are the community and all their opinions must come first. I believe there is alot of talking to take in what is the best way forward  for community to take, And I will go with what we all agree on.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 06:55:04 PM by sambo »

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 08:34:52 PM »
right start again.

I think it is clear from the news that enough people are willing to invest in keeping the site alive, So moving to another site I don't believe is an option. The 360 fahrenheit name and community must and will be kept. I think the main problem is the actually keeping of the main site. The forums look after themselves thanks to the likes of Craig (Who keeps up to date with all the news), failed and Sarge etc. I think it is more a case of who can look after the main site, Who is technically good at that sort of thing. i know you are very good and experienced at that sort of thing Bobbus, And I would welcome you to have a say on that side of things, And if you could migrate your community into this one would be a positive step in my openion. But this would have to be agreed wit all the other members.
 The current 360 fahrenheit members have to agree on whatever forward motion we all take, They are the community and all their opinions must come first. I believe there is alot of talking to take in what is the best way forward  for community to take, And I will go with what we all agree on.

Great post Sambo :)

My personal preference would be to stay as we are and keep 360DF alive as simply put and hopefully you'll actually agree with my usually worthless opinion this time, it's the best damn gaming community around and is responsible for us all having a great laugh, meeting loads of cool new people, making new friends (i've made a best friend during the last 3 years because of all this) and the odd bit of gaming thrown in for good measure and long may it continue  :)

I'm happy to help in any way possible and if staying as we are is our final decision then I can continue to be an admin on the forums as it's something I like doing and like i've said elsewhere, I spend an awful lot of time on the forums so I guess it makes sense.  As for the main site, I know about posting news items, videos and stuff but not really up to speed about the more technical stuff so Bobbus is definitely a good shout.  

The main thing of course is that 360DF goes on in whatever shape or form we all agree on, we've come an awful long way in the last 3 years and hopefully we'll still all be here in another 3.   :)

This may be the only time that a few people actually agree with me, so to counter act this, i'm off to diss some survival "horror" games and best selling FPS's and moan about how Resident Evil needs zombies to return, to make me feel better  ;D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 08:54:52 PM by GamerMan316 »

Offline knikki91

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 04:27:16 AM »
I don't see why the 360DF name needs to end, Tara has done a fantastic job over the years, on 360DF and the site before (which I forget the name cause I am senile) and built up a forum full of good people.

However:

Running a site like this requires a fair bit of dedication from those interested, whether it be in the paying for the name or maintenance of the back end and monitoring the forums, something I think that those concerned need to think about.

TJ and Craig have put a lot of time an effort into the site, something I am not sure many people realise, meaning that something like this becomes more than just a hobby.
Will those interested in running the site still feel as passionate about in a years time, when you've had to fix server crashes, sort out trouble on the forums, redesign the forum, attract new members etc etc?.

On a plus side I think Neato's idea of removing the front page is good, never seen the idea behind having to sign it to that then resign to the forums, always an odd one in my eyes.

I think the future is bright and I think as a team if we all pull together then this can work  :)

NeuroticSarge

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 07:55:46 AM »
Old father time has spoken. ;D

Offline Jaynestown

• Forum Moderator
  • Way Beyond Awesome
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me!
  • XBL: Jaynestown
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 10:14:32 AM »
I tend to agree with Knikki. I know that I personally wouldn't have the time or the inclination to devote huge chunks of my time to maintaining and running such a site, even if I had the technical know-how (which I don't). If there are people who can devote the required time and effort in to it then that would be brilliant, but to those people that are considering committing yourselves I would take heed of Kniiki's comments first.

As I said previously, I am very happy to contribute something each year to the cost of the site though as I I'd hate to see the site and the community die out. I've made some good friends here, and I can't see myself finding another community that would be quite so tolerant of my general "rubbishness" at most games, and my over-use of the chainsaw in Gears of War 2!!!  :-[

Thank god for the new Tomb Raider, helped me de-stress after a tough week! More of the same please

DFUSIONITE

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 10:20:53 AM »
Some sensible comments and i am sure if we pull together we can continue the name and community long into the future. that is my wish.

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 02:47:20 PM »
Maybe we could buy baby monkeys, grow them and then sell them for profits. We'd keep the best ones and they'd make the interbobby stuff work and we can sit on our asses, play games, grow monkeys, make money and make REALLY SENSIBLE COMMENTS ON THE FORUMS :P

love Failed!

Offline TaraJayne

• Way Beyond Awesome
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 03:06:14 PM »
Maybe we could buy baby monkeys, grow them and then sell them for profits. We'd keep the best ones and they'd make the interbobby stuff work and we can sit on our asses, play games, grow monkeys, make money and make REALLY SENSIBLE COMMENTS ON THE FORUMS :P

love Failed!
Clearly the best ideas so far. Why do we never listen to you? ;)
Can't wait for Shenmue 3

Astrex

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 08:10:53 AM »

love Failed!
Clearly the best ideas so far. Why do we never listen to you? ;)

Because he's a crack baby  O0

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads