Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 43196 times)

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« on: December 12, 2010, 03:25:46 PM »
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Unveiled, Dated For 2011

Bethesda Softworks just announced the fifth game in the Elder Scrolls series and the sequel to The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion will be called Skyrim. And it'll be out next year.

Bethesda's Todd Howard introduced the game with a brief teaser showing a stone dragon and a dramatic narration that sets up the story of the next big role-playing game in the Elder Scrolls series. That teaser also dates Skyrim for November 11, 2011.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i9tLus_yLs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i9tLus_yLs</a>

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 06:11:19 AM »
How new is Elder Scrolls V's engine?

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will be powered by a new engine, Bethesda has said. But there are some important points to consider before you get carried away.

"We can now confirm that the TES V: Skyrim engine is all-new. And it looks fantastic," Bethesda community man Nick Breckon tweeted.

"It's a new graphics/gameplay engine built internally. We'll have more details down the road," he added.

What he did not say was, "Skyrim will not use Gamebryo", nor did he specify that, "Skyrim will use id Tech 5."

Simply, this could be Bethesda's way of saying it has heavily modified or revamped the existing Gamebryo Oblivion/Fallout 3 engine. Todd Howard suggested this to be the case when talking to Eurogamer in August.

"Fallout 3 technically does a lot more than Oblivion. The new stuff is an even bigger jump from that," he said. "I can say it is on the existing platforms, which we're really happy with. You almost feel like you have a new console when you see the game."

Fallout: New Vegas was the last of Bethesda's games (developed by Obsidian) to use Gamebyro: "outdated tech", according to Eurogamer's Fallout: New Vegas review.

Less likely, but also tantalisingly possible, is that Bethesda has opted to use new sibling studio id Software's muscular id Tech 5 engine. However, Bethesda's parent company ZeniMax didn't buy id Software until the summer of 2009, and work on a fifth Elder Scrolls game, we presume, started long before then; such a transition would have required scrapping a lot of work before doing, again, a lot of work.

The Elder Scrolls V was unveiled at the weekend, through a trailer with requisite gravelly-toned narration and dramatic prophecy to herald a "Dragon-born" hero. The game will be released on unknown formats - presumably PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 - on 11th November 2011.

Many had considered the next Elder Scrolls game to be an MMO and, although that doesn't immediately appear to be the case, there could be a significant multiplayer part to the game that led speculators down the wrong path.

Now Skyrim has been announced we can expect a flurry of meaty game-reveals to follow.

"One thing I can say is that from when you first hear about it to when it's out will be the shortest it's been for us. It's pretty far along. When we show it, we want to show a lot, because there's a lot of game there to play right now," said Todd Howard earlier this year.

Offline Lukehi

• Forum Moderator
  • Super Dooper Member
  • Elle <3 Jacob
  • Last.fm: Lukehi
  • XBL: Lukehi
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 09:40:48 AM »
Wicked news...guess we'll have to wait for some gamepaly trailers to see what it's all about.

Putting the "stud" back in Bible Study

Offline Handshakes

• Super Dooper Member
  • Now with almost no cannibalism!
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • Conservative Gamer Bloke - My Blog
  • Last.fm: Hndshks
  • OnLive: Handshakes
  • PSN: ShakesyJ
  • Steam: handshakes
  • XBL: Handshakes
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 04:42:34 PM »
I'm in.
Your mom!

Offline ASYLUM NINJA

• XBL: ASYLUM NINJA
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 06:32:36 PM »
Am looking forward to this big time  :D

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 06:45:31 PM »

Offline Handshakes

• Super Dooper Member
  • Now with almost no cannibalism!
    • Conservative Gamer Bloke - My Blog
  • Last.fm: Hndshks
  • OnLive: Handshakes
  • PSN: ShakesyJ
  • Steam: handshakes
  • XBL: Handshakes
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 05:37:49 PM »
A better combat system would be much appreciated, although I don't want any of that cheapo easy-mode VATs stuff. Also, I think it is about time that they give you some companions in an Elder Scrolls game. I want a party to adventure with, Fellowship of the Ring style.
Your mom!

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 07:53:28 PM »
4-player online coop is the way forward!! I might even play it then :P

DFUSIONITE

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 12:53:45 PM »
i would love the new one to stay as a single player experience. but a much improved one obviously. online co op is great, but i like to become immersed in an rpg and that's difficult to do when party chatting or playing online with friends. seriously can't wait for this though!

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 03:18:47 PM »
YAY, Elder Scrolls!   O0

BOO, MMO's!!!!!!    >:(

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 12:41:56 PM »
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim runes translated

Hyper intelligent super-beings from the internet have translated clues about The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim written in "the tongue of the dragons" towards the back of a recent issue of US magazine Game Informer.

The runic text was also posted on the internet along with some clues about how to translate it.

"If you just hate fun, scroll on down into the comments and wait for someone else to post the answer for you," Game Informer joshed. "Your warrior ancestors weep at your cowardice." So anyway, here's the translation from the comments thread:

Dragonborn Dragonborn
By his honor is sworn
To keep evil forever at bay
And the fiercest foes rout
When they hear triumph's shout
Dragonborn for hunger blessing we pray

And the scrolls have fortold
Of black wings in the cold
That when brothers wage war come unfurled
Alduin, bane of kings
Ancient shadow unbound
With a hunger to swallow the world

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 12:59:51 PM »
In the ancient tongue, Alduin means 'Failed'

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 12:12:34 PM »
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim detailed

Perks (unique abilities) will be offered when levels are gained in the fifth and new Elder Scrolls game, Skyrim - much as they were in Fallout 3.

There will also be finishing moves relevant to the weapon you carry, as well as dual-wielding and duelling, according to a Skyrim preview by Game Informer (digested and regurgitated orderly on NeoGAF).

There are even kids, although this point isn't expanded upon - are they the hero's children? Does that mean there will be romances?

Enemy level-scaling - that is, enemies that keep pace with your character level - returns. "Since people are asking, wanted to briefly touch on level scaling. All our games have had some amount of randomness/levelling based on player level. Skyrim's is similar to Fallout 3's, not Oblivion's," commented Bethesda.

Skyrim apparently has no classes to pick from, so you're free to pursue whichever skills you wish (Oblivion had class templates to help newcomers). With a significant enough rise in skill comes a rise in your character's level, although it's not clear if this is tied to a major/minor skill grouping as in Oblivion. The number of skills, incidentally, has been reduced from Oblivion's 21 down to 18.

The Mysticism spell school has been dropped, too, which leaves Destruction, Alteration, Conjuration, Restoration and Illusion.

Each time you do rise a level, you'll be asked to allocate points into either health, stamina or magicka.

Skyrim has a bamboozling 10 races to pick your hero from, and character creation has been universally improved. You can even customise body features in Skyrim, although quite what that entails we can only imagine.

Bethesda's ability to dynamically populate a huge open world has been taken a step further, too. The Skyrim engine considers your past actions; if you depend upon magic then magic-related quests will find you. Skyrim will also try to send you places you haven't been, dynamically altering quest locations depending on how you've filled your journal. Even something as simple as dumping a weapon in the streets to free inventory space can trigger a quest, as a child picks the blade up and seeks to return it to its master.

Oh, and if you decide to kill a shopkeeper, whoever inherits the store will develop an unfavourable disposition towards you because of your actions. Hilarity potential noted.

Skyrim is said to present a more varied landscape both above and below ground, which we hope means less reliance on caves for quests. Enemies mentioned are skeletons, zombies, trolls, giants, ice wraiths, giant spiders, wolves, horses Elk, mammoth and sabre-toothed cats.

Also, dragons! Dragons that can attack cities! There are five of those cities, by the way, and you can do plenty within them: make weapons, enchant, create spells, cook - possibly more. There are additional gathering skills too, such as chopping wood, farming and mining.

Talking to an NPC no longer freezes the world around you; AI-brained people go about their tasks as they speak to your hero.

There's the option of hiding the HUD while exploring the world in first-person view, and the third-person view has also improved in some unspecified way.

The story of Skyrim takes place 200 years after Oblivion and to the north of the map. The dragons are returning and you, as a dragonborn - a dragon-hunter - must fight the most evil of the reptilian beasts. Your mentor through all this will be "some old dude from Shutter Island and Minority Report", which sounds a lot like Max von Sydow, who's ace. As well as all that, the world of Skyrim will be torn by civil war, following the King's death.

Wrapping that up will be the the requisite visual improvements. Oblivion had gobsmacking vistas and Skyrim hopes to replicate that. To that end, character's faces have been a seeing to and promise to convey subtleties such as a emotion - let's hope Bethesda hires a few more voice actors, too.

DFUSIONITE

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 06:42:29 AM »
it all sounds excellent, especially the new things you can do like cooking, chopping wood, farming, mining etc. No idea why they have gotten rid of the mysticism spell school though and dropped the number of skills to 18. I don't think i can wait for this game, i may have to freeze myself like cartman did in south park when he couldn't wait for nintendo wii to come out.  :)

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 02:54:47 PM »
you'll probably freeze yourself for too long, say 500 years and wake up in the year 2546, where no one plays video games and instead wage Atheist wars in the name of Almighty Logic. Then you'd end up fighting super intelligent sea otters when all you want is to find a museum with a 360 in and a copy of Skyrim ?!?!

that's what'll happen Cartman Rogers of the 25th Century #)

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads