Author Topic: Rate the last game you played  (Read 58009 times)

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
Re: Rate the last game you played
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2011, 03:02:57 PM »
Nice.

Offline Windedprism

• Baile Atha Cliath
  • Super Dooper Member
  • 2011 GAA Senior Football Champions
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: windedprism
  • XBL: Windedprism
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2011, 03:40:35 PM »

For the bargain price of 400 points, I can say this is one of the best purchases I've made. Ok so I haven't finished yet (hey I'm not far off, for once!!), but I'm enjoying it immensely. A mini dungeon crawler with one town that you gain your quests,cash in all your junk, enchant items and a one location floor after floor dungeon system.

It may sound simple, because it is. The combat is simple and easy to use as well with skills and spells mapping to the pads's buttons for convenience.
The variation in mobs and scenery change is generous too, with some cool boss fights and swarms of enemies.

You start the game with a choice of three classes and three different pets. The usual fair of classes War/Thf/Mage and I chose the lizard style pet. With the pets you can feed them different kinds of fish and they transform. Mine turned into a purple ogre and I haven't changed it since. After a while of going through the levels I chose an ability from the skill up menu so now I have a golem. And it doesn't stop there, using a learn spell scroll I can summon  3 undead pets as well. So with a Party of 6 I run the dungeons, duel wielding pistols, send my pet home to sell some wares when my pockets are full and it's a lot a fun. There's a lot more in the game than that but I'd end up taking up 6 pages so I'll leave it there.

Overall it's fairly deep, however still no brainer fun, but strangely addictive .

Worth 1200 points? Yeah I think so.

Worth 400 points? eh no brainer!

Overall score

7.5/10

<a href="http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator" alt="bf3 forum sigs">[img width= height=]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/f08ed13949e0998b.png[/img][/url]

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2011, 04:01:04 PM »
Well put, Windy.

Offline Windedprism

• Baile Atha Cliath
  • Super Dooper Member
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2011, 04:13:45 PM »
well thank you :)
<a href="http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator" alt="bf3 forum sigs">[img width= height=]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/f08ed13949e0998b.png[/img][/url]

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2011, 09:14:21 PM »
i was gutted it wasn't 2 player coop ... *sobs*

i found the demo boring, but for 400msp you cn't complain too much :P

Offline Windedprism

• Baile Atha Cliath
  • Super Dooper Member
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2011, 03:32:20 PM »
Co-op would be fun in this your right,I know it was in the pc version but oh well.

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2011, 05:29:48 AM »
i bought it forgetting to try the demo, but really only to play coop with my buddy. Now i'm stuck with a SP game i really don't need. I'm sure i'll change my tune in Q1 next year when they forget to release games because they think gamers only buy games at Christmas.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2011, 01:34:11 PM »

Batman: Arkham City

5 Goddamn Stars!

Assassin's Creed + Metroid + Grand Theft Auto.  It's perfect in that there's nothing about it that I look at and say "I wish that was different".  Combat is tight and even more varied & enjoyable than Arkham Asylum.  The voice acting and dialogue are spot on, including the occasional cheesy inside jokes.  The setpieces are beautiful and inspired.  The story is complex without becoming diluted.  The play area is big enough to make you feel like you're actually in a living city, but not so big you can't over come the initial sense of overwhelming.  The only (debatable) fault was the difficulty of some of the puzzles/challenges.  There were a couple I spent way too long on, only to realize I was overthinking it and then spent the next 10 minutes feeling like an idiot not worthy to wear the cowl.   :P

I finished my first playthrough last night.  I made a huge effort to complete all of the side missions (minus the riddler trophies) before completing the story.  The game easily has twice the content as Arkham Asylum, and Arkham Asylum wasn't a small game.  What's impressive is the even with the 40+ hours I've spent in Arkham City, I can't wait to go back to collect those riddler trophies and smash some goon skulls in freeroam.  With all of the little hidden secrets and references I found, I know there must be so much more to be found.  I can't wait to start my "New Game +".   8)

Offline sambo

• Greatness Personified
  • No cuts, no buts, no coconuts?
  • Last.fm: sambomaher
  • XBL: ox SAMBO xo
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2011, 01:26:48 PM »
Could not add anything more to what you have wrote Neato, I thought the game was amazing. I really did not want the game to end, I've still a few things to mop up and then hit the challange maps.

Offline Handshakes

• Super Dooper Member
  • Now with almost no cannibalism!
    • Conservative Gamer Bloke - My Blog
  • Last.fm: Hndshks
  • OnLive: Handshakes
  • PSN: ShakesyJ
  • Steam: handshakes
  • XBL: Handshakes
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2011, 04:08:13 PM »
Alpha Protocol

What do you get when you cross Mass Effect with Deus Ex (the first one, not the orange pop edition that just came out a month or so ago)? Alpha Protocol, that's what!

The good:
The conversation system is much more complex than in the Mass Effect games. For one thing, conversations don't pause for ten minutes while you pick out a response. You have a very natural response time (one to two seconds) with which to pick out what you want to say. Better yet, what you say actually matters. In ME (Mass Effect), all of the conversational choices basically come down to this: You get a generic goody goody response and a generic snarky prick response, but either way you go the conversation always ends up in the exact same place. The only times that conversation choices matter in ME is when you get a "renegade", "paragon", or sexy-time response to pick. In AP (Alpha Protocol), however, every single choice matters. Every character you talk to has their own sets of likes and dislikes, so as a super spy you have to custom tailor what you say to them to manipulate them into getting what you want. This can either mean telling them what they want to hear so that they'll like you more and be more receptive to you, or it can mean actively pushing their buttons so that you can throw them off their guard and trip them up. Eventually you'll even get a reputation, either as a professional or a snarky prick, and people who you go on to meet will come into the meeting with preconceived notions of your douchebaggery/level-headedness. Plus, unlike ME, if you pick the snarky prick response during a time of crisis, characters will actually have a "what the hell is wrong with you" reaction, which is actually pretty natural, so I like that.

Another cool thing about AP is how nearly every thing you do has an effect on the way the game plays out. I already mentioned how the conversation system can change the game, but even how you perform during missions has an effect as well. For instance, if you are doing a mission against a rival spy company and you pull off the mission without getting seen, then the rival spy company won't treat you like a bastard the next time they see you (because they have no idea you were doing a mission against them). Overall, you are encouraged to play this spy game like a spy - as in you should rarely get seen - but you are allowed to play it however you want, including like a maniac with a machine gun in each hand - just don't expect to get many friends in the game by doing things that way.

One of the great things about this game is that sometimes things don't go your way. Whether you don't have enough time to think about a conversation choice and pick the wrong one, or you trip an alarm during a mission that was otherwise going stealthy and well, you will screw up... And that's okay. I like that, unlike games like Mass Effect where you have all the time in the world to pick what you want to do exactly how you want to do it, this game takes it out of your hands a little bit. Things don't always turn out the way you want them to: This is what roleplaying is all about!

The story is subtle-ish in that it is about manipulative corporations and government bureaucracies instead of saving the world from imminent doom. The characters are pretty great, including your choice of sexy ladies to infiltrate. Every character has an agenda, and only by interacting with them, and buying info on them from the black market and reading about them, can you figure out exactly what angle they are playing at.

And did I mention the sexy ladies? You get your standard, shy and bookish asian chick (I say standard because all of these RPGs has that nerd girl to bang: The elf girl from Dragon Age 2, Tali Zorah from Mass Effect, etc...). A German cougar chick who is rambo mixed with Dr. Strangelove (and if the asian chick likes you enough she gets super jealous during one of the missions, and it hilarious how she keeps bringing up cougar-lady's age). A reporter with outrageously big tatas, and a doe-eyed secretary who accidentally gets caught in the conspiracy. Finally, a mute Europunk orphan girl (who you may or may not get to bang - I'm not sure about this one because she is more sad than sexy by a mile).

The bad:
You know how in Mass Effect 2 once the shooting part of the game started it was pretty standard stop-n-pop shooter stuff? I'm not saying it was bad, I just mean that it was inoffensive in that it was kind of easy and fun for what it was. Well, Alpha Protocol's in-mission gameplay is not always inoffensive.

The difference is that in Mass Effect you are always good at shooting your gun. What I mean is that even at level 1 you can shoot things in the face from across the room. In fact, all leveling up gives you in Mass Effect is cool new powers to use against the baddies to help you out even more. Alpha Protocol is not like that.

See, in Alpha Protocol every vital skill you have is something that has to be leveled up. So you start with level 0 in pistols, which basically means that you can't shoot somebody in the face even when you are standing two feet from them. Worse still, your stealth skill is also level 0, which makes you about as subtle as a clown with squeaky shoes. Unless you are freaking perfect, for the first couple hours of the game you WILL NOT be successful during your stealth missions, and shooting your way out will be a ridiculous affair. I don't necessarily hate this; Deus Ex used a very similar leveling system, and that game was brilliant.

Moreover, the game just doesn't do stealth very well. Splinter Cell, this aint. The stealth always feels kind of clunky, and because of the leveling system if your stealth is on the low side it can sometimes feel like the enemies are freaking psychic. This can lead to some BS instances of getting caught. Rather than be a perfectionist and reload, however, just keep playing through. Fracking up a mission can alter the game's story in cool ways anyway, so it can be rewarding in its own way to fudge up here and there.

Now for the truly bad part of the gameplay: The unlocking minigames! Remember in Mass Effect how you had to match up lines of code, or match up circuits to unlock some doors? Kinda boring, but they worked, yeah. In Alpha Protocol, however, the controls for the (PC version, anyway) minigames are HORRENDOUS. It is hair-pullingly frustrating to stealth your way through an entire mission, only to fudge up on a minigame and trip an alarm, not because you couldn't find the matching code, but because the controls are so clunky that you couldn't select the right piece of code. These minigames are awful, and they are, I'm sad to say, plentiful during the game. Yuck.

Overall, I give Alpha Protocol a...

5/5

It feels like a REAL rpg for a change, which is refreshing enough that I can forgive a certain clunkyness and lack of polish in some of the game elements.

Is it a classic? No, I don't think anybody will be playing this in 20 years for its historical contribution to gaming. But it IS absolutely worth a purchase and playthrough.

*The version of Alpha Protocol that I played was the PC version through the OnLive playpack. The Xbox 360 version might have issues that I don't know about, or it might be significantly better (I'm willing to bet that the controls for the minigames are a hell of a lot tighter on the Xbox 360). I think my total playtime clocked in at right around 15 hours.
Your mom!

Offline Windedprism

• Baile Atha Cliath
  • Super Dooper Member
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2012, 03:39:56 PM »
Nice, this was another under the radar game and one that has come to my mind every now and then. I used to love the Syphon Filter games and part of it reminds me of those games. Most definitely a bargain had here  :)

Offline Dantespaw

• Time Zone: GMT -08
    • Xbox Live Card
  • XBL: Dantespaw
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2012, 04:31:30 PM »
Alpha Protocol was one that I missed at the time. Might be worth picking up now since it is so cheap. Too many great games out there and not enough time to play them!

Offline Lastenline

• Nintendo: 0791-2461-6043
  • Steam: Lastenline
  • XBL: Mailman12089
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2012, 09:01:56 PM »
Red Dead Redemption- 5 Stars

A serious cowboy game that captures the death of the old west perfectly. The Undead Nightmare DLC is full of in-jokes and fan-service but the undead are an unrelenting force that will ruin your day. YMMV with multiplayer depending on your skill level as well as the skill level of any allies you run into. Buy it if you can.

Offline Windedprism

• Baile Atha Cliath
  • Super Dooper Member
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2012, 11:05:41 AM »
Dragon's Dogma

By no means perfect,but by no means flawed either!
First off this game is about vocations (classes),pawns,enemies tiny/small/medium/big/large/larger and just plain enormous.There are three starting classes, three advanced classes and three hybrid classes.Pawns unfortunately cannot utilize the hybrid classes but they can use the other six. Pawns can be rented on/offline and come in a wild variety of styles and personalities. As the Arisen you gain one main pawn who becomes your sidekick throughout your adventures. Your main pawn can be fully upgraded with skills/core skillsAugments/gear etc etc just like you own character.You then have up to two rental pawns which you can swap and change whenever your near a rift stone. The pawn system is excellent and something very different as you can of course rent other player's pawns and have your own rented. Not only does this give you rift crystals with which to rent higher level pawns, all pawns gain world information such quests/areas/monsters/treasure locations so there's a real benefit to updating online and keeping up with your favourites.

This is not an rpg,it's an action game through and through. It does however have a a lot of rpg familar customization and features but with a somewhat weak main storyline that actually turns out to be quite cool.  The combat is fast and fluid,actually it's amazing with magic being brought to a more epic scale than any rpg/mmorpg I've ever seen. Check high maelstrom it's just bananas!

Each vocation is unique and feels very different to one another,it's one of the strong points of the game. The climbing mechanic is not overused,which is cool, I mean it's there if you want it but it's by no mean enforced in any way. In saying that some enemies can be dispatched much quicker by scaling those lofty heights,it's risk versus reward and really just comes down to your own play-style.

And that really sums up Dragons Dogma, play how you want, make your own pace and enjoy a game that will suck you in if you let it. It's not like SOC, Dark Souls or Skyrim. It's more like Fable done right and with big fricking balls and a lashing of Monster Hunter thrown in for good measure.

There's a shed more I could say on this game, but I will say that if you do not like fantasy/medieval settings then you're gonna hate this. Dogma is a real gamers game, no hype, no promises of delivering this or that experience, it just brings it and it's bloody great fun. That's why I love it, now I'm off to the Everfall to have my ass kicked by some gorechimeras, hyrdra or whatever other evil this great game throws at me :)

I'll add to that as well one of the best post games out there and a difficulty spike that will shock ya, well it shocked me when I had to run just to survive leaving my pawns behind!!!

Highly recommended.

4.5/5
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 10:53:15 AM by Windedprism »

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here