Author Topic: Aliens vs Predator  (Read 8988 times)

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
Re: Aliens vs Predator
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 02:00:20 PM »
Every screenshot shows a human dieing or about to die in a gruesome way.... excellent

I now know who I'm going to play as.    :D

Offline Lukehi

• Forum Moderator
  • Super Dooper Member
  • Elle <3 Jacob
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: Lukehi
  • XBL: Lukehi
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 04:24:53 PM »
Every screenshot shows a human dieing or about to die in a gruesome way.... excellent

I now know who I'm going to play as.    :D

TJ...?

;D

Putting the "stud" back in Bible Study

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 05:25:37 AM »
He said 'play as' Luke, not 'play with'!

Offline TaraJayne

• Way Beyond Awesome
  • Twitter: TaraJayne360
  • Last.fm: TaraJayne360
  • XBL: TaraJayne
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 08:51:22 PM »
This actually looks really good. I will play AS Predator. He would so own Alien.
Can't wait for Shenmue 3

I hate jokes that rely on visual imagery.

I've had it right up to here with them.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2009, 11:27:15 AM »
from oxm

8 Reasons Why Aliens Rule AvP

Just before GamesCOM, we had the chance to head out to UK developer Rebellion.

Why? To get an advance look at the Alien vs Predator details it'll have at the show, of course.

After previously debuting the Predator and Marine gameplay, now it's the turn of the Alien - and Rebellion have absolutely nailed it. Here are our eight reasons why we're going to be playing it in multiplayer come February.

1 Full Audio
A nice little touch Rebellion have included is that the Alien is the only species of the three that's hearing isn't disrupted by walls or various sound-damping effects, meaning you'll have perfect clarity on incoming footsteps and background clues to were danger is. Not exactly a Spider-sense, but could give you an extra benefit for multiplayer matches and it's a good excuse to get those surround sound headphones, right?

2 Skills For Kills
How'd sir fancy his Marine this evening? Getting a successful kill initiates some of the most violent acts we've clapped eyes on in videogame history, generating a wonderful pay-off for all that skulking you'll be doing in the shadows as you sneak up on your victim. How about skewered through with your tail? There's three separate options just for that. A stealth kill from behind will slam your spiked tail through their back and out their rib-cage, with the reverse occurring if you attack from the front. There's an alternative option wherein you grip the victim and pull them further along your tail as they retch their insides up.

Alternatively you can go for the classic 'tongue meets skull' attack (with the camera flicking to the front of the tongue as it pierces the skull) or claw at their necks from behind, shredding vocal chords and arteries in one gurgled splurge. Lastly (and best in our opinion) simply charge them, claws waving. You ever seen meat dropped into a blender? Nasty.

3 Like Dog, Like Alien
Ever wondered why dogs chase their tails? Rebellion has the answer. Spin quickly enough around and you'll see your tail for a moment before it whips behind you. The affect is hypnotising and leading to you repeatedly turning to try grab it. You never will, but you will gain a better understanding as to why Man's Best Friend does exactly the same thing.

4 Take Out The Lights
Theoretically possible to do with a well aimed pulse rifle round when playing as a Marine- but then why'd you want to plunge about in the darkness and scare yourself even more than you already have? As an Alien you'll learn on entering any room to suss out the light sources are and knock them (or the main generator) out with a well-aimed tail strike. Cue you sitting on the ceiling and cackling as you hear the Marines below having a brown trouser moment.

5 Leaping Cargo Bays In A Single Bound

Like the Predator, interactive spots on the map will be highlighted on the screen. Rest your cross hair on them and tap a button and you leap to that spot. Its amazingly exhilarating hopping through levels at a lightning pace - and for our money the organic look of the Alien's interactive spots (looking no more than ripples in the air) are a lot less intrusive (read: subtle) than the glowing red circles of the Predator's indicators.

6 The Queen Made Me Do It
You'll freak the first time you hear that iconic resounding hiss of the Alien Queen spark up in your lughole. You'll see a ghost-like shimmer as her features appear on the top left of the screen. Its from the Queen that the Alien gets its updated objectives from. More 'hunt' and 'kill' rather than 'come home, you're not answering your mobile and I'm getting worried about you'.

7 Up, Over And At Them
Piles of boxes stacked as a makeshift barricade? Marines have to clamber over them a box at a time, while navigating huge piles of junk with a Predator that's the size of a small tank just looks ungainly. As an Alien all you got to do is point straight ahead and you'll skitter up and over in the blinking of an eye. Who said two legs were better than four?

8 Less is More
You will not interact with other Aliens in the campaign (except from story-relevant points, if that's what we gather from Rebellion's weighted silences on the matter). You've no shield, no long-range firepower. You are mince meat if you get caught in the way of a shotgun barrel or a Predator's weaponry. Seems the chips are stacked against you, right? Yet because of that - do you realise how sweet the feeling is when you decimate an entire room of Marines, or take down a technology-reliant Hunter? Yeah.

Oh, and now imagine that feeling, but multiply it by whatever number of friends are beside you in multiplayer.

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2009, 06:36:25 PM »
In Multiplayer people tend to have favoured spots, obviously the well used Alien spots will get grenaded before walking anywhere. A bit like checking the roofs in L4D.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2009, 06:04:33 AM »

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 07:20:24 AM »
Aliens vs Predator: Movie cast "surprises on the way"
Rebellion teases guest star appearances

Aliens vs Predator has a few surprises in store for fans of the franchise, according to Senior Producer David Brickley.

When asked whether Rebellion has approached any of the cast from the long-running movie series he responded, "Maybe we have! It's still a little while before we fully unveil the game. In Empire magazine this month there was a retrospective with all these stories about the cast hanging out at the Hilton or Holiday Inn in Langley while they were making the movie. And it just freaks you out to think of Sigourney Weaver, Bill Paxton, Lance Henriksen and Michael Biehn going out on the piss in Slough."

"Yeah, we've got a couple of little surprises on the way for fans. The people involved in the game have achieved quite a lot for sci-fi fans over the years, people will remember that."

Not entirely conclusive, but with eight separate movies on the slate, there are plenty of cast members to choose from. Not many of their characters were left alive at the end though. Who is your money on?

Offline Jaynestown

• Forum Moderator
  • Way Beyond Awesome
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me!
  • XBL: Jaynestown
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 07:25:47 AM »
Lance Henriksen would be my guess.

Thank god for the new Tomb Raider, helped me de-stress after a tough week! More of the same please

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 07:52:09 AM »

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2009, 06:29:08 AM »
Aliens vs Predator banned in Germany
"Significant cuts that would harm the gameplay experience" mean no sale.

Joystiq reports that Aliens vs Predator won't go on sale in Germany.

This follows an earlier report that Sega's gory FPS wouldn't go on sale in Germany.

Sega has now confirmed as much to Joystiq, saying that it couldn't go on sale in Germany "without significant cuts that would harm the gameplay experience."

Offline AchyHippo

• XBL: AchyHippo
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2009, 11:04:44 PM »
CURSE YOU GERMANYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Offline xnightcrawlerxx

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2009, 12:22:58 AM »
not much of a shocker there

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2009, 05:53:37 AM »
Unlock skins with Aliens vs. Predator pre-order at GameStop

Aliens vs. Predator is kind of a misleading title. Aside from the titular extra-terrestrials, mankind's future badasses, the Colonial Marines, will also be able to get some in Rebellion's upcoming FPS romp. And for some of your pre-sale cash at GameStop, you'll be able to use one of the more badasserer (we're still working on that one) humans around: Sgt. Kaneko. This dude "wrote the book on small-scale Xeno containment," which is great because we hear there's a lot of Xeno in the game that needs, uh, containing.

Joining Kaneko are Number Six -- the blue thing on the left that looks like it's from The Darkness -- and Alien Head Predator, the "most successful Xenomorph Hunter of all time." That's how he she it got that neat Cylon mask! Both are very adept at being super scary-looking and can be yours if you pre-order at GameStop. Unless you live in Germany, in which case you get nothing.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2009, 09:29:12 AM »
Unlock skins with Aliens vs. Predator pre-order at GameStop

I saw that on the GameStop website when I was updating my preorder list.

I am a sucker for preorder incentives, but I'm still not sold on this game.

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads