Author Topic: Yoostar 2: Movie Karaoke  (Read 2123 times)

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
Yoostar 2: Movie Karaoke
« on: February 07, 2011, 02:29:45 PM »
Dave mentioned this online the other day, here's a preview.

Yoostar 2: A better attempt at You're in the Movies?

We well recall our foray into incredibly amateur dramatics with You're In The Movies only a couple of short years ago - we were almost having fun until we saw the results.

No matter how we tried to arrange our playing space, we only ever appeared in the game's mocked-up movies in the form of a splat of pixellated ectoplasm.

It was a nice idea, but the Live Vision Cam simply wasn't up to the job.

Yoostar is a similar concept which has been quietly entertaining some PC and Mac gamers on a limited basis for a few months, but now they've opened out the ever-expanding project for console gamers, and slapped an apparently nonsensical '2' on it, and we have only a few months until Kinect gamers all around the world are expected to join in and start flexing their thespian muscles on Xbox Live.

TURNER, HOOCH & YOU
However, unlike YITM, this isn't about messing with generic movie set-ups, but putting yourself in the midst of classic scenes from the last century of cinema.

That means a little less scope for originality if you want to rack up the scores, but far more opportunity to disgust your friends with your rubbish Arnie impression.

How it works should be obvious enough: you choose your scene, and your role in that scene. Place yourself in the frame correctly, and, just like karaoke, read your script at the right time and let the software do the rest of the work, erasing the existing actors and replacing them with your own giggling performances.

As with the likes of Lips, you'll then be judged on your performance and have the option of sharing your tour-de-force with the whole world via Live, Youtube, Facebook and Twitter.

But more to the point, theory aside, does it actually work? Well, having had the pleasure of bringing Boris Karloff's Monster to life in Frankenstein, and taken part in a scene from The Hangover, we can confirm that it works very nicely indeed, thank you.

The game element is beside the point, really - this is party parlour game fare, with a gang of mates, a few drinks, and an opportunity to turn The Wizard of Oz into absolute filth.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m31qhNJkiI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m31qhNJkiI</a>

Well, The Wizard of Oz, or Cheech & Chong. Or Casablanca. Or The Muppet Movie. Or Nosferatu. Or Mad Men. Or Gladiator. Or Psycho.

Achievements

Yoostar 2 will be released in March for the PS3 and 360.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
Re: Yoostar 2: Movie Karaoke
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 04:41:32 PM »
I saw a little blurb article in Game Informer recently about this.  They said (paraphrased), "The tech demo is the best we've ever seen of this genre, but that still isn't saying much."

It still seems like a fun drunk party game that could replace my usual fallback Scene-It.  Things could get really fun if you play '100% off script' rules.   8)

DFUSIONITE

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 11:24:11 AM »
I saw a little blurb article in Game Informer recently about this.  They said (paraphrased), "The tech demo is the best we've ever seen of this genre, but that still isn't saying much."

It still seems like a fun drunk party game that could replace my usual fallback Scene-It.  Things could get really fun if you play '100% off script' rules.   8)

there is a specific 'improv' mode for exactly that. The fact you can share your 'improvs' online on facebook, youtube etc is what grabs my attention. I acted in college when i studied performing arts ( i majored in popular music) and i was very good at improvisation, i look forward to creating some funny spoofs featuring my impersonations of members of this site, (eg jaynestown as the terminator, crak316 as ron weasley in harry potter  ;D) all with their permission of course! I have read quite a few previews of this game and i haven't heard a bad word said about it yet, i really can't wait for this!  :)

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 11:27:09 AM »
I'm way too cool to play Ron bloody Weasley, strictly Lance in Pulp Fiction or Zed in Killing Zoe for me.   :)

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 12:15:23 PM »

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 02:42:48 PM »
I'm grinning like an idiot reading that list and imagining me and my friends playing these out.

This stupid game may be what pushes me over the fence to buy a Kinect.   #)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 02:58:51 PM by nCogNeato »

Offline dfusioness

• Way Beyond Awesome
  • XBL: xbn darkdesire
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 02:45:37 PM »
now i know what saturday nights are for, movie karaoke  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 03:06:18 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljHfBBpdlsY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljHfBBpdlsY</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPQ_0B9dMr4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPQ_0B9dMr4</a>

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 04:38:01 PM »
Gauranteed any game with my friends would evolve into a Your Mum marathon of abuse.

Tonight We Dine in .... Your Mum >_< etc etc

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads