Author Topic: Battlefield 3  (Read 29669 times)

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
Battlefield 3
« on: August 04, 2010, 05:19:21 AM »
EA: Give Battlefield 3 dev some space

EA's asked the press to give Battlefield 3 developer DICE some space following requests for more info on the game.

Battlefield 3 was quietly announced over the weekend in a press release that revealed those who buy the Medal of Honor Limited Edition would gain access to the beta.

That's all the info EA was prepared to divulge at the time.

Following enquiries by Eurogamer, EA issued this statement: "Battlefield 3 is one of the most anticipated games in the world and we want to give the dev team as much time and privacy to craft the game without disturbing them with Marketing/PR.

"In the meantime, everyone is excited to launch MOH and we hope you'll play that beta and enjoy that game this fall."

So, what do we know?

A release date has yet to be announced. But, we can assume that it will be released after EA's 2011 financial year, which ends in April 2011, because it's not down on the company's official release schedule.

And platformers are unconfirmed. But we can assume it'll be released on at least the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 because beta access is available from all three versions of Medal of Honor.

In February former DICE chief executive, and studio manager of DICE Canada, Fredrik Liliegren, confirmed that Battlefield 3 had been in development at the Swedish studio for the past three years.

"What the PC version is going to be, Battlefield 3, I think it's going to absolutely blow everyone away, but I can't tell you what it is, but it will blow people away... because it's not Modern Warfare 2 PC, it's not that experience," he said.

And in June 2009 EA COO John Pleasants said, "I've had the luxury of looking at Battlefield 3 over at DICE in Sweden... Of course, that's not in the [current] fiscal year, but that is a product that is looking very good."

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
Re: Battlefield 3
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 08:04:40 AM »
Battlefield 3 Set To Be Unveiled At GDC 2011

EA and DICE have remained somewhat quiet regarding Battlefield 3, even neglecting to officially announce the game despite bundling beta keys with Medal of Honor. EA will be taking some of the biggest games in its 2011 line-up to this year's Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, including Alice: Madness Returns, Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning and (yipee!) Battlefield 3.

GDC takes place between February 28th and March 4th, and as well as officially unveiling Battlefield 3 for the first time, EA has said that it will also have some new game announcements to make at the unveiling event, meaning that an already rather busy 2011 might be getting a bit more crowded.

There are no further details on Battlefield 3 at present, other than former DICE CEO and founder Fredrik Liliegren saying that the game is "going to absolutely blow everyone away," back in February of last year. Fingers crossed that Battlefield 3 makes it into EA's 2011 release schedule then.  For now however, just keep those beta keys safe.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 06:31:00 AM »
First Battlefield 3 details emerge

PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 shooter Battlefield 3 features improved visuals and what developer DICE describes as an "exponential leap" in destructibility.

Game engine Frostbite 2 has made Battlefield 3's existence possible, according to US magazine Game Informer.

"Armed with powerful upgrades like deferred rendering, real-time radiosity, a new animation system borrowed from the EA Sports label, and an exponential leap in destructibility, executive producer Patrick Bach dubs Frostbite 2 'the best piece of technology on the market when it comes to building games'" reads the website.

Other details revealed this morning: 64-player multiplayer on PC returns, jets make it in and you'll have the ability to go prone.

In October last year DICE went on the record to reassure PC gamers that their version of the game will be just as enjoyable as the console versions. Designer Alan Kerz acknowledged, "PC players have a fear that BF3 will be 'consolized'.

"PC players have their own set of requirements... Anything that feels like it might have been "ported" from a console is going to get flamed hard," he wrote. "It's a damn sight harder to please a PC player, they have higher expectations.

"Battlefield 3 needs an extra bit of special attention on the PC. I intend to give it that attention, tradition and our community demand it."

According to the first teaser trailer, below, Battlefield 3 will launch this autumn.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRSdsYPajEY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRSdsYPajEY</a>

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 02:01:19 PM »
I can see a lot of people on here buying this, BC2 is a firm favourite.

I hope it's Bad Company 3 and not just Battlefield 3, i like the SP characters. Bigger Squads would also be a welcome bonus. Prones good and Jets.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 02:05:01 PM »
I can see a lot of people on here buying this, BC2 is a firm favourite.

I hope it's Bad Company 3 and not just Battlefield 3, i like the SP characters. Bigger Squads would also be a welcome bonus. Prones good and Jets.

I think it's just Battlefield 3.

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 02:06:06 PM »
disappointing if it is, i wanted to 'continue' the story

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 02:07:56 PM »
No doubt Bad Company 3 will be released next.

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 02:11:37 PM »
*sigh* i might rent it first then

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 01:52:23 PM »
Battlefield 3 Limited Edition features Battlefield 2 maps, weapons
EA / DICE graphic reveals new details

A leaked EA ad for Battlefield 3 has emerged, giving away details about a planned Limited Edition.

The LE will include a 'Back To Karkland' map pack, which features revamped content from Battlefield 2.

The ad reveals: "This themed expansion pack features four legendary maps from Battlefield 2 boldly re-imagined with frostbite 2 physics, destruction and visuals.

"Completing the package are classic Battlefield 2 weapons and vehicles, unique rewards, new Achievements/Trophies and more."

The ad explains that the map pack will be available for those who pre-order the special edition - but will be available for purchase as DLC at a later date for buyers of the regular game.

EA revealed this week that Battlefield 3 will be released in the autumn, via the first trailer for the game.

Subsequent retail listings leaked a whole load more information about the game, including the fact it will feature battles in Paris, Tehran and New York.

Offline Autarch Kade

• This post may contain nuts.
    • Time Zone: GMT -06
    • An interestingly accurate site
  • Steam: AutarchKade
  • XBL: Autarch Kade
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 01:54:45 PM »
I like most battlefield games.  Especially bad company 2 and 2142.  I'll be buying this.
I like my women how I like my coffee: ground up and in the freezer.

The doctors say his chances are 50/50... but there's only a 10% chance of that.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 09:24:46 AM »
Battlefield 3 console multiplayer limited by hardware and networks

EA and DICE finally began pulling back the curtain on Battlefield 3 this week and even more details concerning the multiplayer on the PS3 and Xbox 360 have just come out.

Some of the Battlefield 3 developers took to Twitter to answer questions from fans and one of the topics was the multiplayer. Console gamers were disappointed to learn that while the PC version of Battlefield 3 supports 64 players, the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions will only support 24 players according to details revealed from retail sites.

Senior Gameplay Designer Alan Kertz responded to a question about why the PS3 won't have 64 players by saying, "Of course, we didn't say "oh console players don't want 64 players.' Network performance and cpu/gpu power and memory."

However, the rumored 24 player limit may not be set in stone as engine developer Christina Coffin responded to our question about the console limit with, "we'll support as many as we can +maybe extra provided it maintains the integrity of the play experience."

No word on whether or not Battlefield 3 will come with dedicated servers for the PS3 or Xbox 360. That would obviously be a limiting factor.

PS3 or Xbox 360?

Another question posed to Kertz was whether or not the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions would be the same. It's too early to say what differences there might be according to Kertz. So probably best to wait a little while longer on that pre-order before making a decision.

Recommended PC Specs

While definitely not official, DICE's Johan Andersson recommends a Window 7 PC with a 64-bit processor and a video card that supports DX11. However, the Frostbite 2.0 engine is being built to scale based on the hardware.

Battlefield 3 is set to be released sometime this Fall. It goes without saying that more details on military shooter are coming in the big GameInformer cover story.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 02:56:56 PM »

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 11:30:15 AM »
Battlefield 3 details blow the doors off
PC is lead platform, 24 player multiplayer on consoles

A torrent of new Battlefield 3 details have come surging onto the web.

Retail listings have already leaked a whole load of information about the new game, including the fact it will feature battles in Paris, Tehran and New York.

The Game Informer website also reported on 64 player multiplayer for PC, but BestBuy says console multiplayer will support only 24 players.

The real meat arrives this morning from a spread in the latest issue of the US retail mag, however, which has been neatly summarised by NeoGAF forum users.

Here's what they scribbled down:

* Aiming for CY Q4 2011 release
* Concept for BF3 has been in the works for years, waiting on proper tech to seamlessly come together
* Frosbite 2.0 is the culmination of this tech, entirely re-written
* Lighting sounds neat, one "probe" contains more lighting information than an entire BFBC2 level.
* Level destruction is going to be "believable" but basically everything is destructible.
* Character animations powered by ANT, what EA Sports uses.
* AI characters and multiplayer characters have different animation sets
* No more "gliding" animations that look off, animation realism is a focus
* Captured their own war audios (bullets, tanks, helicopters, etc) at different distances to ensure realism
* Better audio cues for certain actions, more easily able to listen for threats
* Plan on better, more immediate post release content
* More unlocks than BFBC2
* Dice trying to find a good balance between customization of your character and not having "pink rabbit hat(s)"
* 4 classes
* Will talk about squads "later"
* Looking into a theater mode but can't talk about it
* Will have co-op
* There will be a kill-cam but it can be turned off
* BF3's team is almost twice as big as the team for BFBC2
* They want the pacing of the single player mode to be balanced, with highs and lows. Makes the comparison to a song vs a guitar solo.
* Part of the single player mode takes place in Sulaymaniyah - Iraqi Kurdistan.
* "F***" will be used often, so M rated for sure
* There will be an earthquake in a level. The destruction sounds very impressive. 7 story building collapses, looks very well done
* Significant narrative that goes with the SP mode
* More than one setting, you're not in the middle east for the whole game
* PC version is lead version
* Why 64 players for PC only? No complains from the console crowd.
* No mod tools at release. Maybe none down the line either. Frosbite 2.0 is complex and mods tools would have to be dumbed down, so does Dice really want to put their time to that or would it be better spent elsewhere?
* Original story, not based on Bad Company at all.

Good stuff. The first Battlefield 3 trailer revealed an autumn release for the game on Friday.

Developer DICE has since said it'll only kill off genre leader Call of Duty by doing something different.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 11:51:34 AM »
Battlefield 3: DICE has 'learnt lesson' from BC2 DLC mistakes
Dev has "interesting plans" to keep players' attention

DICE says it's "learnt its lesson" following Battlefield: Bad Company 2's sparse DLC schedule - and it won't make the same mistakes with just-announced Battlefield 3.

Speaking in the latest issue of US retail mag Game Informer, DICE exec producer Patrick Bach acknowledged that not releasing a new map pack for six months saw the Bad Company 2 community drop off drastically.

"To be honest, Bad Company 2 was a bigger success than we anticipated," he admitted. "We did not account for that. We sold a lot of copies and don't feel bad about where we were, but looking back, we should have released more, bigger content after."

He added: "We were more successful with our approach then anticipated. We didn't think most people would hit level 22 to be honest, and especially so fast. Our calculations on how much people would play to hit level 20, 25, 50 were completely wrong. We thought people wouldn't play that much."

For Battlefield 3, says Bach, DICE will properly prepare for post-release content to keep the community occupied.

"We've learnt our lesson now, and have a lot of really interesting plans for how to keep the attention of the players. We can do better in that area," he said.

"The challenge is to build a game, and then have more people coming on before the project is done to start building extra content because it takes a lot of time to get stuff out."

There will be "a lot more to unlock", Bach promises, "not only weapons and other treats, but we have more things that you can unlock than in Bad Company 2. We're also making sure that there is a reason for you to reach top rank," he said.

Battlefield 3 will feature 64-player multiplayer on PC and 24-players on console.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 07:31:53 PM »

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads