Author Topic: NBA 2K12  (Read 1185 times)

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
NBA 2K12
« on: August 23, 2011, 07:23:49 AM »
MJ is back and he's brought some buddies along!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHnCZsD9txU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHnCZsD9txU</a>

Offline Jurassic Parky

• XBL: Jurassic Parky
Re: NBA 2K12
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 03:45:23 PM »
Can't wait! Love some NBA action, wish they would release Barkley Shut Up and Jam on XBLA. Charles Barkley is ace!

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 05:51:30 AM »

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
  • Some people drink Pepsi, some people drink Coke...
    • Time Zone: GMT -07
  • PSN: ZeroEquals
  • Steam: ZeroEquals
  • XBL: ZeroEquals
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 01:18:14 AM »
Ha! With a lockdown on the horizon for next season, this may get more play on my set than the actual NBA. Just hope they do something more than just slap new skins on characters, what they did last year with MJ was a definitely a step up.

Offline hoosierjoe

• Moderately Dope
    • Time Zone: GMT -02
  • Last.fm: hoosierjoe
  • PSN: hoosierjoe
  • XBL: hoosierjoe
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 09:48:25 AM »
So, I picked up this game from RedBox over the weekend.  Here are my thoughts.

For starters, I should say that I am NOT and NBA fan in any way.  I haven't been in years.  I grew up loving it, but somewhere along the line the league became more street ball than basketball and I really haven't been able to restore that interest.  Recently though, I've been thinking of giving it another shot.. so I decided to try this one out.  It sounds silly, but this game may be the thing that gets me back.

This game is phenomenal.  There are many people that don't get into sports games.. for a variety of reasons.  Among sports fans, one of the primary issues is that one mode in a game shines, while the rest is bland.  This game doe not suffer from that.  I've spent the most time in "My Player", where you create a player and guide him through the NBA Draft and his career.  Outside of Sony's MLB The Show, there isn't a better RPG element to a sports game out there.  You earn XP by completing tasks and basic performance (points, assists, steals, etc.).  You also can earn them by making good basketball decisions like boxing out, making a good pass and even making a good foul.  It really causes you to learn the game and play an all around game.  This mode is going to take many hours from me.    These points are then used to upgrade your skills and also unlock special abilities.

Then there are the "Legends" games, featuring: Jordan, Bird, Magic, Dr. J, and several others, where you play games using these players (and there teams) to re-create great moments in there career.  The detail in this mode is awesome.  The graphics are retro to the time period, and even the camera quality matches the era.  80's games have a more washed out color and older games are in pure black and white.  The commentary in the mode is phenomenal, as they give you tons of detail on not only the legend involved, but all the other past players involved in the games.

Other modes I have yet to get into include the "Association" mode, which is you typical franchise mode and online.. there is also an "Online Association" where you can have an online league with your buddies.

Overall, if you are a basketball fan.. try this one out.  VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.  The game play feels so smooth and the presentation feels more like an actual TV experience than any other game I've played (they even do promos for other games).

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
  • Some people drink Pepsi, some people drink Coke...
    • Time Zone: GMT -07
  • PSN: ZeroEquals
  • Steam: ZeroEquals
  • XBL: ZeroEquals
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 02:54:36 PM »
The only thing this franchise has so far been piss poor at is Team-mate AI (then I suppose all games have issues with that). Ex - having a 3 on 2 fast break all of a sudden diminish to a 1 on 2 fast break because AI simply stopped running the floor... WTF??

I've been playing 2k11 lately and realized another thing, the learning curve is damn steep. It's an easy game to get into, but figuring out all its intricate details is almost mind-boggling. Which is sometimes good and sometimes not. Will try out 2k12 eventually to see if any of these issues have been ironed out - features are nice and all, but with these kinds of games I always find that the details are key.

Offline hoosierjoe

• Moderately Dope
    • Time Zone: GMT -02
  • Last.fm: hoosierjoe
  • PSN: hoosierjoe
  • XBL: hoosierjoe
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 05:26:22 PM »
Another negative that has started to turn me off is the trade logic in the My Player and Association mode.  After about a month into the season, teams just start trading EVERYONE, and by the middle of a season every team is completely different.  Hopefully this can be patched... there have been a lot of complaints on the 2K site on this.

The learning curve is steep, no doubt about that.. but I think it's more rewarding in the end.  Instead of just holding and releasing X to shoot, you can literally adjust your shot in mid air.. and you can do it the way you want. 

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads