Author Topic: Mass Effect Help, jeez I'm a crap gamer!!!  (Read 4282 times)

Offline Jaynestown

• Forum Moderator
  • Way Beyond Awesome
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me!
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • XBL: Jaynestown
Mass Effect Help, jeez I'm a crap gamer!!!
« on: January 18, 2010, 02:00:28 PM »
So, not only am I stuck on COD2, now I'm stuck on Mass Effect!

I've just rescued Liara and am escaping to the surface and come up against a Drogan Battlesmater and some Geth. I have Garrus and Kaidan with me, both of who are absolutely rubbish in a gunfight and die almost immediately. I can take out the 4 Geth but as soon as I take out the 4th one the Drogan Battlesmater rushes at me and kills me with one "punch". I've tried taking him out first but then get killed by the Geth instead, there's no where really easy to hide and I have all the best armour and weapons with upgrades I can possibly have distributed between my squad so I am stuck. I've tried this about 40 times now. Any advice or hints would be helpful.

Am I the worst gamer on here or what?  >:(

Thank god for the new Tomb Raider, helped me de-stress after a tough week! More of the same please

Offline Jaynestown

• Forum Moderator
  • Way Beyond Awesome
Re: Mass Effect Help, jeez I'm a crap gamer!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 02:17:42 PM »
Forget it, I was making a fundamental error, I was pressing the wrong button to rally my squad to my position which was leaving me vulnerable. I've done it now, what an idiot!!!  :-[

Thank god for the new Tomb Raider, helped me de-stress after a tough week! More of the same please

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 02:19:34 PM »
nice one mate  :)

Offline Lukehi

• Forum Moderator
  • Super Dooper Member
  • Elle <3 Jacob
  • Last.fm: Lukehi
  • XBL: Lukehi
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 02:48:26 PM »
Good effort...there's a few bits like that.  I'm stuck on Noveria (no spoilers) on the Hardcore difficulty.  Tried about 20 times, lost my temper and haven't tried since!!

Putting the "stud" back in Bible Study

Offline Jaynestown

• Forum Moderator
  • Way Beyond Awesome
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 03:18:43 PM »
I tried it last night for over an hour, then again this morning for half an hour and then again this evening when I got in from work. Isn't it typical, as soon as I posted the thread I realised what I was doing wrong, I'm such a noob!!! :D

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 04:03:06 PM »
Glad you got it sorted.

In the future, if you find yourself in a tight spot like that, don't be afraid to "sacrifice" a team member (or both) by directing them behind the enemies.

The enemies will probably kill them before they manage to work their way behind them, but this will give you 10 seconds or so of free roaming, uninterrupted attack while the enemies are occupied killing your squad.  Once you kill the enemies, your squad will automatically revive.  During my Hardcore playthrough, I constantly used my teammates as bait.   :D

Also, don't be shy with your sniper rifle.  The cover system in Mass Effect is great, and you can patiently destroy an entire army of baddies one at a time from a distance.  Unlimited ammo!   ;)

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 04:04:46 PM by nCogNeato »

Offline TaraJayne

• Way Beyond Awesome
  • Twitter: TaraJayne360
  • Last.fm: TaraJayne360
  • XBL: TaraJayne
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 04:42:45 PM »
I tried it last night for over an hour, then again this morning for half an hour and then again this evening when I got in from work. Isn't it typical, as soon as I posted the thread I realised what I was doing wrong, I'm such a noob!!! :D

Oh JT worry no more. You cant be worse than me I couldn't exit the ship .I searched everywhere for the exit, and  went up and down the lift 5 times. I gave Stephen my pad for about 60 seconds and he replied "It would help if you landed it first " :(
Can't wait for Shenmue 3

I hate jokes that rely on visual imagery.

I've had it right up to here with them.

Offline KoreRupt

• DJ ZeroCore - Hardcore Music.
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 07:31:54 PM »
If you have a problem with Mass Effect 1 just send me a private chat.

I should be able to help with 90% of problems or random stuff.  Even stuff like "which member is best if i was [insert class]" and stuff!

;D

Honour, Respect, Loyalty.

Offline Jaynestown

• Forum Moderator
  • Way Beyond Awesome
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 06:25:32 PM »
Glad you got it sorted.

In the future, if you find yourself in a tight spot like that, don't be afraid to "sacrifice" a team member (or both) by directing them behind the enemies.

The enemies will probably kill them before they manage to work their way behind them, but this will give you 10 seconds or so of free roaming, uninterrupted attack while the enemies are occupied killing your squad.  Once you kill the enemies, your squad will automatically revive.  During my Hardcore playthrough, I constantly used my teammates as bait.   :D

Also, don't be shy with your sniper rifle.  The cover system in Mass Effect is great, and you can patiently destroy an entire army of baddies one at a time from a distance.  Unlimited ammo!   ;)

This game is seriously pissing me off again. Are the bosses deliberately impossible to kill? I'm now trying to kill Deanna Troi (or whatever her name is - she's voiced by Marina Sirtis anyhow) after she's handed over some information and then gone all mental on me, and although I can eventually kill her, the 4 Asari commandos just rush me and take out my squad mates and then me before I get a chance to regenerate my shields or heal myself. Lianna seems particularly incapable of staying on her feet!!!

I have to disagree about the cover system Neato, I think it's poor. When I go in to cover half the time Shepard then won't fire his gun, and half the time he won't even go in to cover even though he's standing up against a solid object. It just seems to be hit or miss if he actually goes in to cover or not.

As for the sniper rifle, I can't use it at all, it just "wanders" around all over the place and there doesn't seem to be any way of steadying it. I've not registered one kill with it, it's unusable.

In terms of "directing" my squad mates, I honestly haven't got a clue how to do that, I just try and keep them close and hope they take more of the gun fire than I do!!!

As I said, I must be the worst gamer on here, everyone else seems to rave about it (and to be honest I love the RPG elements of it, I just can't stand the combat) and not have any trouble at all.

I think I'm falling out of love with my Xbox , I just can't seem to get in to anything at the moment and this crap combat system on Mass Effect is just ruining the one game I think I could get in to.

Maybe I just need a break for a while :(
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 06:31:01 PM by Jaynestown »

Offline Quintillus

• PSN: JohnnyQuintillus
  • XBL: Quintillus
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 06:38:10 PM »
Yeah she definitely Deanna Troi and I think she be using her Star Trek trick of reading your mind.

Are you playing on hard setting because this is very easy on a low level and keep at it you will get  it.

Because I be playing it on and off the last two years and good luck.

Offline Jaynestown

• Forum Moderator
  • Way Beyond Awesome
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 01:58:53 AM »
No, I've just got it on Normal setting, which only re-iterates my point, I'm just not vey good at it!!!

DFUSIONITE

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 02:34:49 AM »
No, I've just got it on Normal setting, which only re-iterates my point, I'm just not vey good at it!!!

I also got stuck on this bit. you need to ignore her at first and take out the other goons, when they are dead get as many shots as you can in on her revive your team mates then get ready for the next set of goons, keep repeating this and eventually she falls. I know this bit is a bit tricky but stick with it, the game gets even better afterwards. The combat does take a while to get used to but once you are used to it it's great.

Offline Jaynestown

• Forum Moderator
  • Way Beyond Awesome
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 04:37:12 AM »

I also got stuck on this bit. you need to ignore her at first and take out the other goons, when they are dead get as many shots as you can in on her revive your team mates then get ready for the next set of goons, keep repeating this and eventually she falls. I know this bit is a bit tricky but stick with it, the game gets even better afterwards. The combat does take a while to get used to but once you are used to it it's great.

I'm confused, I didn't think you can revive your teammates, they only revive themselves once the battle is over (which I thought was a bit stupid... they're either dead or not!!!)

DFUSIONITE

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 07:05:21 AM »
maybe my memory is fuzzy about that part of the game, all i know is it took me ages to get past it, but i eventually did.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 10:02:31 AM »

I'm confused, I didn't think you can revive your teammates, they only revive themselves once the battle is over (which I thought was a bit stupid... they're either dead or not!!!)

There's a special ability called "UNITY" you can upgrade that will revive your teammates in the middle of a fight.

Do as DFuze said and focus on the goons that enter the room, not on Matriarch Benezia.  You'll have to fight 2 or 3 "waves" of bad guys before you can actually attack her.

Also keep an eye out for one lone bad guy hiding behind a crate somewhere.  That happened to me a couple times ... I think I cleared the room, but the little cutscene initiating the main fight between me and Matriarch Benezia would not start.  It turned out there was one lone Geth hiding behind a crate somewhere in the room, and I had to run around trying to find him.  Once I blew his head off, the cutscene kicked in and it was on like Konkey Dong.

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads