Author Topic: Motorstorm Apocalypse  (Read 524 times)

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
Motorstorm Apocalypse
« on: June 10, 2010, 01:00:31 PM »
Motorstorm Apocalypse detailed, screenshots
The end is nigh in Evolution's third Motorstorm outing

Motorstorm 3 has been revealed as 'Motorstorm Apocalypse' and Sony's released a big batch of screenshots and artwork to go with all the details.

As you'd know if you read our Motorstorm Apocalypse preview, crumbling buildings and collapsing road surfaces are the order of the day, as the third Motorstorm is set in a city on the west coast of America in the middle of a massive earthquake.

Game director Matt Southern described the premise as a "party at the end of the world".

You'll zip through the city as it falls apart around you creating a perilous game of "uban off-road racing".

Expect skyscrapers to collapse in-front of you, roads to give way beneath you and all kinds of explosions and collisions in between.

Races won't be confined to the roads either. You'll find yourself driving over collapsed structures, in through office windows and even down sky-scrapers while they're twisting towards the ground.

16 player online races are in, as well as four player split-screen and a 4 v 12 split-screen/online combo mode.

You'll even be able to create your own custom race types with unique rules and triggered events to upload and share with the online community. Read the full details in our Motorstorm Apocalypse preview.

Evolution have been developing Motorstorm Armageddon in secret for the past two years with only a website URL and some low-quality screens managing to seep through.

Now it's all out in the open. Check out the screens and artwork below.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
Re: Motorstorm Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 01:07:16 PM »
Motorstorm 3 dev: 'Racing genre is stuck in a rut'
Evolution says racing has had "a disappointing few years"

The racing genre has had "a disappointing few years", according to Motorstorm Apocalypse's assistant game director, Simon Barlow.

According to Barlow, more and more people are moving to action and FPS games instead of racing.

"The racing genre has had a disappointing few years," Barlow told CVG.

"You can look up any sales figures and even extremely high rated racing titles haven't sold as perhaps they should have done or as perhaps they deserve and so it's in a bit of a rut."

"I think genres are cyclical and I'm not sure why that is, I'm not sure why people have moved away from racing games," he continued.

"Perhaps the emergence of the first person shooter on consoles, a lot of people have graduated towards action games and that sort of thing."

Of course, Barlow is hoping that Motorstorm Apocalypse will go some way to pulling people back to the racing genre through pure, unadulterated entertainment.

"I think what you're seeing is a resurgence in the desire to entertain people," he said.

"We're trying to do something unique to racing and something unique for the Motorstorm franchise. We are now seeing pretty much as a legitimate past-time so let's do more with it, let's do something special with it."

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
Re: Motorstorm Apocalypse
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 08:29:12 PM »
I disagree Split/Second broke out of that rut and does something fresh and interesting. Blur, although pretty much Wipeout with real cars feels new. Theres too many Realistic Racers about when there should be more 'fun' racing games.

Game genres are cyclical that's true, fighting games went out of favour and have come back in recently (thanks to SF4). Perhaps racing games will too with more 'fun' style racers like Split/Second and Blur.

Motorstorm looks the type of racer i'd love to play (shame it's PS3)

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads