Author Topic: Aliens vs Predator  (Read 6215 times)

Offline Jaynestown

• Forum Moderator
  • Way Beyond Awesome
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me!
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • XBL: Jaynestown
Re: Aliens vs Predator
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2010, 08:20:50 AM »
'tis done!  My standards have gone up after playing Mass Effect 2 all week, this just just looks really ordinary!

Thank god for the new Tomb Raider, helped me de-stress after a tough week! More of the same please

Offline Handshakes

• Super Dooper Member
  • Now with almost no cannibalism!
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • Conservative Gamer Bloke - My Blog
  • Last.fm: Hndshks
  • OnLive: Handshakes
  • PSN: ShakesyJ
  • Steam: handshakes
  • XBL: Handshakes
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2010, 09:24:51 PM »
I gave the demo a quick try. Why they would only let you play deathmatch is beyond me. There is no quicker way to make me feel bored with a game then to play a deathmatch game mode.

Some quick thoughts at least:
  • Jumping around as a predator is way more fun than it has a right to be.
  • You start to feel bad for the marines based on how much they blow comparatively.
  • Aliens suck and are for cheap bastages!
Your mom!

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2010, 06:11:31 AM »
I had a quick go after downloading Splosion Man on Friday night, only played one match as the Alien which wasn't too bad, but then the beer called so I went out.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2010, 05:09:41 PM »
Aliens vs Predator Demo - The OXM Verdict
The multiplayer demo has arrived to a mixed reception...

So after all this waiting, we finally get to try it ourselves.

Aliens Vs Predator. Versus marines too, as someone needs to represent the human side of the clash. Sega released a multiplayer demo that features one map and one mode, Deathmatch, but with all three sides playable.

So far, the demo has met with some very mixed reactions. Is the criticism valid? Or are fans being hyper-critical because of the reverence they hold for the series? Read on and see...

The Good

The main thing Aliens Vs Predator has going in its favour is the concept. Whichever side you're playing as, watching a marine trying to fend off an alien as it closes in for the kill or seeing the trademark red shoulder-cannon laser of the Predator suddenly cutting through the corridors is an awesome sight. It helps that Rebellion has paid extra attention to the atmosphere - you can throw your voice as Predator or hiss as the alien, while the map pulses with moody lightning and claustrophobic metallic corridors.

Despite some reports of struggling to find matches, something we didn't experience ourselves, the netcode holds up pretty well. Although players frequently dropped out when they were getting their arses kicked, there weren't any instances of losing connection to the host or lag spikes during games. There also seems to be a lot of unlockable options and customisation, so replay value will definitely be there too.

The Bad

One of the biggest problems is that the demo feels unpolished. This can be excused somewhat by the disclaimer at the start of the demo that it's an old build but still, it's being put in the public eye to be judged and there's no denying it's lacking some spit and polish. We've played the full version, and it feels more solid, so it's a shame Rebellion couldn't rustle up some more recent code to entice players. The controls are also clunky, as it doesn't feel quite as slick as it should do given the pace.

The other problem is that in this straight Deathmatch mode it appears to be unbalanced - often aliens would fill the top three spots in the post-match leaderboard. Whereas in Team Deathmatch marines could team up and effectively defend against a wave of aliens with a wall of gunfire, when it's every man for himself the alien shock tactics seem the most potent.

Marines

Marines are the vanilla option of Aliens Vs Predator. Their pulse rifle is pretty powerful (and sounds just like the films), so they pack a powerful punch if either aliens or predators try to take them head on. They also have the motion tracker, which helps they get a good handle on their surroundings.

The coolest aspect of playing as the marine is how tense it is. They are arguably the most vulnerable to surprise attacks as they are the only group who can't see through walls. In a team environment rather than free-for-all deathmatch, marines will thrive as they should be able to watch each other's backs and prevent alien instant kills.

Predators

The hardest class to use. You have to find the spear, throwing blade and shoulder cannon as you explore the map and are otherwise forced to rely on his wristblade. The trick is to not get overwhelmed by aliens and marines while doing so, which is easier said than done. Once he does get the weapons, he's a force - the shoulder cannon and throwing blade are powerful one hit kills - but until he gets them, predator struggles.

Up close, Predator is the best at melee but in anything beyond one-vs-one, Predator is stuck on the back foot. This situation often forces him to cloak and run away, which means that you soon become used to the sight of Predator running away because he can't handle himself in a fight without weapons.

Aliens

Arguably the easiest class to get kills with, thanks to their speed and instant kills. The key to playing alien is ambushing by attacking from odd angles and trying to get behind your enemy for the instant kill move.

You can also attack from the ceiling (tail whips will kill marines outright) and use your focus to spot other enemies on the map, figuring out your best plan of attack. In the 10 or so matches OXM played, the top three spots were almost always aliens.

Overall

Ultimately releasing this demo was an interesting move. It's old code, so it's not quite as slick as the full game and Rebellion is clearly saving the more interesting multiplayer modes for people who pick up the game on release. While that's sensible - you don't want to give away the best stuff for free - deathmatch is chaotic and the least structured of the modes, and it doesn't really play to the strengths of the full game and its three different species. As a result, Rebellion and Sega are wandering dangerously close to turning people off AvP as a multiplayer game.

Offline Jaynestown

• Forum Moderator
  • Way Beyond Awesome
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2010, 08:11:29 PM »
I just thought the whole thing was way too dark, even with the brightness turned up to maximum I just couldn't see enough detail, why release a demo on old code which will inevitably put people off buying the game on release. There's no way that that demo will attract people to the game who weren't going to buy it in the first place, seems like Rebellion have shot themselves in the foot by releasing it!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 07:02:46 AM by Jaynestown »

Thank god for the new Tomb Raider, helped me de-stress after a tough week! More of the same please

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2010, 04:32:12 AM »
I agree JT, the single player is looking pretty damn good though.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfOHK-PXHh4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfOHK-PXHh4</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovtNccLzexk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovtNccLzexk</a>

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2010, 02:29:08 PM »
Aliens

Arguably the easiest class to get kills with, thanks to their speed and instant kills. The key to playing alien is ambushing by attacking from odd angles and trying to get behind your enemy for the instant kill move.

You can also attack from the ceiling (tail whips will kill marines outright) and use your focus to spot other enemies on the map, figuring out your best plan of attack. In the 10 or so matches OXM played, the top three spots were almost always aliens.

That's a problem that will keep me from ever playing the game publicly.  Friends only.   ;)

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2010, 04:58:57 PM »

That's a problem that will keep me from ever playing the game publicly.  Friends only.   ;)

So instead of being murdered by randoms, we'd be getting murdered by DarkMaster :P

Offline Kyuubi

• Super Dooper Member
    • Blind 100
  • XBL: KyuubiKitsuni
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2010, 05:36:08 PM »
He's assuming he has "friends" as well! When you're in that room and that deathmatch you're meat!!!

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2010, 05:05:34 AM »
Aliens vs Predator DLC 'soon after release'

Speaking to VG247, Rebellion's Tim Jones has revealed that day-one special edition DLC for Aliens vs Predator will eventually be available for everyone else. The DLC will be made available on release day for those that purchase the special edition (which is pretty hard to miss) and, as is becoming tradition, vanilla edition purchasers will have to wait. As for the DLC itself, Jones says that it will include four separate multiplayer maps (two for the survival mode, two for other modes). Concerning future DLC, Jones simply says, "Watch this space."

Alas, it looks like our dreams of a day-one Alf skin for the Xenomorphs have been dashed. Here's hoping someone at Rebellion jumps on this potential DLC goldmine.

Offline sambo

• Greatness Personified
  • No cuts, no buts, no coconuts?
  • Last.fm: sambomaher
  • XBL: ox SAMBO xo
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2010, 11:02:48 AM »
British comedian and Never Mind the Buzzcocks panelist Phill Jupitus has a surprising cameo appearance in Aliens vs Predator.

In the March issue of OXM, senior producer David Brickley reveals that the comic visited Rebellion's studio for the day, especially to record one of the hidden audio diaries.

These are found throughout the marine's campaign, and reveal some of the back story behind the Weyland-Yutani Corporation's sinister exploits.

Offline Jaynestown

• Forum Moderator
  • Way Beyond Awesome
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2010, 03:22:25 PM »
I so want this game to be good, but the multiplayer demo was pants. Please, please, please let the single player be awesome!!!  ;D

Offline Handshakes

• Super Dooper Member
  • Now with almost no cannibalism!
    • Conservative Gamer Bloke - My Blog
  • Last.fm: Hndshks
  • OnLive: Handshakes
  • PSN: ShakesyJ
  • Steam: handshakes
  • XBL: Handshakes
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2010, 09:44:43 PM »
Having played it a lot more, I don't think the demo is complete crap. But deathmatch clearly doesn't suit the game well, and it puzzles me as to why they would show that part off specifically.

The only possible way I am down for this game is if Paul Reiser is in it.
Your mom!

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2010, 04:44:52 AM »
Is Paul Reiser even still working? i've not seen him in anything for years, though he was himself in Funny People last year.

Offline Jaynestown

• Forum Moderator
  • Way Beyond Awesome
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2010, 11:37:34 AM »
I remember Paul Reiser from Aliens and My Two Dads. Was he ever in anything else?

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads