Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIII-2  (Read 2299 times)

Offline BackupLight

• Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: OutwardSix
  • XBL: BackupLight
Re: Final Fantasy XIII-2
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2012, 05:55:47 AM »
Ok so first off this game is pretty damn sweet. New character Noel is much tougher than I thought he'd be, very cool. The monster system is just class, feels like a little bit of pokemon dare I say it rolled in! The music sucks/rocks, just as I thought, some I love and some I hate but the quality is top notch, sorry Bastion gtfo.
Maybe it's just me but the enemies seem to have more life in them, and the hp counts are higher early in the game than XIII was. Some very cool ''big'' mobs, getting owned is actually quite pleasant.

Still early days but already the tunnel vision of XIII is nowhere to be seen.
FFXIII-2 sure has personality I'll say that right now :)

Been avoiding this post, but Windy's comments here kind of make me rethink it. Once I finish my evening course at college in a couple of months I'll pick it up, though I never finished XIII - no interest to go back either, which is weird given how eager I was to buy it. Went in on my day off to buy it at an early opening at GAME. ;D

Offline sparkleferg

• Time Zone: GMT -06
    • Tumblr
  • XBL: sparkleferg
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2012, 11:21:22 AM »
I think I'm in the minority with the fact that I actually really enjoyed ffxiii and didn't mind it being linear at all.  I haven't even come close to finishing xiii-2 yet but I think there are certainly improvements in the game/menu system but it went sorta backwards as far as coherent storytelling goes (which makes me sad because I really do love the characters.)

Idk, I feel like FF is at a strange spot right now. They haven't quite figured out what they are and what they want to be going forward. I know the Japanese gaming industry have been really struggling to appeal to the the mainstream western market for a while now and in their efforts to appease us, I feel like they have kind of lost some of the fundamentals that attracted us to their style in the first place. For instance they hear "more freedom" ...so they give it to us, but they give it to us with like, no structure at all and the story majorly suffers.  They seem to be looking at western RPG's and trying to incorporate some aspects of what we do into their games, which would be cool, but they just do it so haphazardly. Throwing in decisions and role playing conversations that are pointless and don't really matter. I'm going to steal this analogy from a friend who said it best  "It's like a science fiction novel robot trying to understand love. They can see how people do it, how they act and what they say, but when they try to replicate it, there's no soul, no emotion." -- My friend was talking about EA at the time and how they will buy up great franchises and just drive them into the ground....but I feel it's applicable here too. 

I just think the whole FF franchise is in a bit of a rough patch right right now and until they figure out what made them special and appealing to begin with and then learn to effectively evolve off of that, it's going to stay there.  With that said, what I have played of FFxiii-2, I have enjoyed.  The game is beautiful and the gameplay is really fun. There were some major improvements and I do like the new characters.  I just think the franchise is in a transition period and that they will figure things out in time....they will have to if they want to stay relevant.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 03:19:07 PM by sparkleferg »

Offline BackupLight

• Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: OutwardSix
  • XBL: BackupLight
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2012, 01:34:38 PM »
I think I'm in the minority with the fact that I actually really enjoyed ffxiii and didn't mind it being linear at all.  I haven't even come close to finishing xiii-2 yet but I think there are certainly improvements in the game/menu system but it went sorta backwards as far as coherent storytelling goes (which makes me sad because I really do love the characters.)

Idk, I feel like FF is at a strange spot right now. They haven't quite figured out what they are and what they want to be going forward. I know the Japanese gaming industry have been really struggling to appeal to the the mainstream western market for a while now and in their efforts to appease us, I feel like they have kind of lost some of the fundamentals that attracted us to their style in the first place. For instance they hear "more freedom" ...so they give it to us, but they give it to us with like, no structure at all and the story majorly suffers.  They seem to be looking at western RPG's and trying to incorporated some aspects of what we do into their games, which would be cool, but they just do it so haphazardly. Throwing in decisions and role playing conversations that are pointless and don't really matter. I'm going to steal this analogy from a friend who said it best  "It's like a science fiction novel robot trying to understand love. They can see how people do it, how they act and what they say, but when they try to replicate it, there's no soul, no emotion." -- My friend was talking about EA at the time and how they will buy up great franchises and just drive them into the ground....but I feel it's applicable here too. 

I just think the whole FF franchise is in a bit of a rough patch right right now and until they figure out what made them special and appealing to begin with and then learn to effectively evolve off of that, it's going to stay there.  With that said, what I have played of FFxiii-2, I have enjoyed.  The game is beautiful and the gameplay is really fun. There were some major improvements and I do like the new characters.  I just think the franchise is in a transition period and that they will figure things out in time....they will have to if they want to stay relevant.

This sums up how I feel about FF perfectly. I do think they're struggling, but watering down what makes their games great to try to appeal to the mainstream just loses them older fans. I did enjoy FFXIII, I just didn't like it enough to finish it. Linear is actually good sometimes, freedom in a game can make you just feel lost - I'd never want FF to become, for instance, Elder Scrollsy in nature. My problem was with 13, it just felt a little too.. go to points A, B and C whilst killing lots of not very interesting creatures. It didn't feel as "epic" as previous games had. I truly loved everything from 7-10, and they've just slowly dwindled with my interest since.

Brilliant description of the situation though. Here's hoping they figure it out ready for their next game. :)

Offline sparkleferg

• Time Zone: GMT -06
    • Tumblr
  • XBL: sparkleferg
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2012, 03:30:49 PM »

Idk, I feel like FF is at a strange spot right now. They haven't quite figured out what they are and what they want to be going forward. I know the Japanese gaming industry have been really struggling to appeal to the the mainstream western market for a while now and in their efforts to appease us, I feel like they have kind of lost some of the fundamentals that attracted us to their style in the first place. For instance they hear "more freedom" ...so they give it to us, but they give it to us with like, no structure at all and the story majorly suffers.  They seem to be looking at western RPG's and trying to incorporate some aspects of what we do into their games, which would be cool, but they just do it so haphazardly. Throwing in decisions and role playing conversations that are pointless and don't really matter. I'm going to steal this analogy from a friend who said it best  "It's like a science fiction novel robot trying to understand love. They can see how people do it, how they act and what they say, but when they try to replicate it, there's no soul, no emotion." -- My friend was talking about EA at the time and how they will buy up great franchises and just drive them into the ground....but I feel it's applicable here too. 

This sums up how I feel about FF perfectly. I do think they're struggling, but watering down what makes their games great to try to appeal to the mainstream just loses them older fans. I did enjoy FFXIII, I just didn't like it enough to finish it. Linear is actually good sometimes, freedom in a game can make you just feel lost - I'd never want FF to become, for instance, Elder Scrollsy in nature. My problem was with 13, it just felt a little too.. go to points A, B and C whilst killing lots of not very interesting creatures. It didn't feel as "epic" as previous games had. I truly loved everything from 7-10, and they've just slowly dwindled with my interest since.

Brilliant description of the situation though. Here's hoping they figure it out ready for their next game. :)

I really hope so too! I do feel kinda bad for the Japanese gaming industry right now though....they used to be on top and now with each passing year they seem to be getting further and further behind. I think that their culture is so used to working off inspiration rather then meeting deadlines and things of that nature so it's been harder for them to adapt to the fast pace at which the industry is working at nowadays.  I really do hope they can get a handle on it all.  In addition to FF, I would very much would like to see a revival of super awesome Resident Evil games xD
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 09:50:35 PM by sparkleferg »

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads