Author Topic: Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure  (Read 1967 times)

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure
« on: February 16, 2011, 03:34:33 PM »
It's a game that uses real-world toys to influence it. Something like the Poke-walker.

The initial purchase will net you a copy of the game, a 'Portal' mat, three figures (there's 32 in total), and a few trading cards. Each toy contains a microchip; when the toy is placed on the portal, the portal reads the chip and the character is rendered into the game.

There is one major difference to this game than any other that you have played on the Xbox 360 previously. Your character data, such as your experience points, gold and improved skills, are saved on the microchip in the toy. Each new toy will start at level one, but can progress as far as level ten.

Every character is assigned to one element (i.e. fire, water, magic etc.) and these elements give the characters special powers. Certain types of characters, such as dragons, are represented in each one. Gamers who collect and use more of the same element or type will increase the power and skills of the other characters in that same group. Thhis is tracked by "automatically associating the toy with the portal to which it is first connected"; it sounds a bit like a license agreement.

The toys can be used in friends' games, and Activision have promised that they will be able to cross platforms. You can place two toys side-by-side on a portal to take part in a two-player co-operative game. For those of you who are getting concerned about how much this is going to cost, Activision have assured players that the game can still be completed if you only own one toy.

SPYRO

TRIGGER HAPPY

IGNITOR

GILL GRUNT

ERUPTOR

TRAILER
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zhr9CntRIE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zhr9CntRIE</a>

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 03:44:47 PM by Failed »

Offline sambo

• Greatness Personified
  • No cuts, no buts, no coconuts?
  • Last.fm: sambomaher
  • XBL: ox SAMBO xo
Re: Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 12:40:03 PM »
I like the concept, This could be a big money spinner for Activision (who else).
 I showed the video to my son, His reaction was "Cool  :)".

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 02:29:19 PM »
It's Activision, so i won't be getting it unless their Karma improves.

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 09:30:11 AM »
Latest Gamescon Trailer

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAa6mm-gdUU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAa6mm-gdUU</a>

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 10:03:04 AM »
If I was a young kid, I would totally eat this up.  Little toys that store your gamesaves?  Love it.

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 06:21:45 AM »
If it didn't have the whole toy thing, i'd get it. Love the spyro games.

Offline MumseyFish

• Facebook Page
  • PSN: MumseyFish
  • XBL: Mumsey Fish, Squishary
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 02:38:29 PM »
Why don't you like the toy part? I think I'm going to get it... you know, for the little kids that come over to my house. (That's secret code for "me"). But I bet my 20 year old daughter, her boyfriend, and all her friends will love it too. Oh yeah, and the actual little kids that really do come over to my house.  ;D  I'll let you know how it goes once I get it. Have to finish skyrim first you know.

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 04:09:53 PM »
My post was from August. Now i want it, BADLY, i'm waiting for it to come into the shop so i don't have to 'pay' for it.

My friend has it, for her 'kids', i should go over one night with a bottle of red and play some spyro coop.

Offline MumseyFish

• Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 04:18:23 PM »
Oh good. I'm glad to hear you say that. I've seen it in the stores, but my friends that work there (all hard core gamers) kept talking me out of getting it. But I loved spyro from years ago...and this one looks pretty amazing. I just ordered it online.

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 04:30:22 PM »
i've heard nothing but good really, everyone i know who owns one loves it. im glad really, i'd have hated for Spyro to die with a dodgy peripheral ala Tony Hawk

Offline BackupLight

• Last.fm: OutwardSix
  • XBL: BackupLight
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 04:45:25 PM »
Apparently the game "pushes" the want to unlock more characters quite hard - which I can see being annoying if you have demanding young kids. But every bit of the game makes me want it. Even if it's not "aimed" at adults. :D

At £50 ish though that's literally priced me out, loads of other stuff I'd rather get first for that. If/when it drops I might look at getting it. Considering the packs with the extra little figure/characters in are still like £15 a pop I kinda hoped the starter pack would've dropped already.

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 04:58:49 PM »
it works £7 a character, you get 3 for just over 20bob. I'd want them all ... but i'd be happy with trading with friends, someone told me that you only have to use the figure once to unlock it. If that's true, i could borrow some.

I'd also have to look at the achievements :P

Now look at that top post by me, that's some top production value forum news up there. #) i must have been bored that day ;)

Offline MumseyFish

• Facebook Page
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 01:41:24 PM »
Oh My Gosh...five minutes into the game and I love it already!  I know it's going to end up being expensive with all the characters you can buy, but....well... I think I'm worth it.  #)

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 07:44:34 AM »
you are! Theres some new stuff coming out in Febuary for it too.

Offline MumseyFish

• Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 09:04:26 AM »
I played a lot last night, but I have to confess that without all the elemental characters it gets a bit frustrating. So I went online (there are none in any of the stores here any more, they've all run out!) to look for some characters. Amazon has them for about $20. No way was I going to pay that much for each character. I finally found a store online that had them for the original price of $9.99. I ordered all they had, which luckily enough was one of each elemental. Theres no need, in my opinion, to buy more than that. As long as you can unlock all the areas.

The game also gets better as you level up and gain more powers. So far I'm very impressed. But I'll have to hide the figures from the little kids because it occurs to me that if you lose the figure you lose everything you've done with it. I wish they had an alternate form of memory storage.

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads