Author Topic: PS3 UPDATE  (Read 638 times)

Offline TaraJayne

• Way Beyond Awesome
  • Twitter: TaraJayne360
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: TaraJayne360
  • XBL: TaraJayne
PS3 UPDATE
« on: August 19, 2009, 10:47:39 AM »
The upcoming PS3 firmware update, version 3.00, will add avatars and a redesigned friend list.

Launching on September 1 alongside the PS3 Slim, the XMB will become more personalised with 'free and premium' avatars and themes, according to Sony.

Trophies and friends can be organised into subcategories, while online contacts will be displayed in a new status indicator at the top right corner of the screen.

The battery indicator will also no longer cover up the clock in the new update.

News of the update was part of Sony's conference at gamescom 2009.
Can't wait for Shenmue 3

I hate jokes that rely on visual imagery.

I've had it right up to here with them.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
Re: PS3 UPDATE
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 03:12:56 PM »
Well this stupid thing came out today.  Took about 30 minutes to download/restart/install/update/cook-a-sausage/restart.   >:(

I only looked at the new features for a couple minutes.  I didn't see any "avatars", but the friendlist did look improved.  They also added some homoerotic Twilight sparkles to the background theme.   :-\

Offline Lukehi

• Forum Moderator
  • Super Dooper Member
  • Elle <3 Jacob
  • Last.fm: Lukehi
  • XBL: Lukehi
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 03:28:56 PM »
Well this stupid thing came out today.  Took about 30 minutes to download/restart/install/update/cook-a-sausage/restart.   >:(

I only looked at the new features for a couple minutes.  I didn't see any "avatars", but the friendlist did look improved.  They also added some homoerotic Twilight sparkles to the background theme.   :-\

awesome..I loveR-Patz and K-Stew... :-*

Putting the "stud" back in Bible Study

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 06:39:15 AM »
What went wrong with PS3 Firmware v3.0

Sony Computer Entertainment announced PlayStation 3 firmware update version 3.0 at GamesCom 2009, even going as far to tout it as a "major update", that being the last major update of the year. However, with the update's release last night, there seems to be more "minor update" features added and a little too much of "why would they do this?" in the mind.

A series of new features has been added to PlayStation 3 with the 3.0 update; small features. These include a new start-up look that shows the PS3 slim logo rather than seeing 'Sony Computer Entertainment', the ability to copy and paste, the ability to capture a screenshot of the web browser, support for 'Premium Avatars' which you can purchase off the PlayStation Store, a "What's New" section replacing the information board with the latest in PlayStation, a new Status Indicator displaying your icon, messages and amount of friends online, a redesign to the friends list, shortcuts for the PlayStation Store, support for new dynaimic themes, and a bit more speed to loading trophies.

They all sound like welcome additions; welcome but small. Not enough to make this a "major update". However, even some of these additions have gone wrong.

The newly redesigned friends list is hardly a redesign at all. If anything, it complicates the friends list even more by adding a gray but shiny box around each friend, which seems highly unneccesary, and really gives a cluttered feeling to the list. If anything, it shouldn't even be touted as a new feature, as it's just an image thrown in the background of a friend. On top of that, there's no option to customize the color, and with the added space, no trophy information is displayed for each friend without going to their profiles.

The new PlayStation Store shortcuts are the next problem. It's basically a big, in your face, advertising sign from Sony that says "BUY OUR GOODS". To put it simply, it's too much. Being added to both the 'Video' and 'Game' sections of the XMB make it very unnecessary.

Dynamic themes are a welcome addition, but to start us off with no dynamic themes whatsoever is just ridiculous. How will PlayStation 3 owners even know of this feature or try it out if we don't at least have a start-off theme? Even when Microsoft launched the 'New Xbox Experience', they gave two premium themes free alongside the update so people can get a whiff of what exactly they are. This update came with nothing to start us up on dynamic themes.

Adding on, the new fonts are just too big. We're not blind, Sony. To add on even more, the blur when you click any option hurts my damn eyes. I'd imagine those who wear glasses have suffered more, though.

To put the icing on the cake, none of these features had any consumer demand. Most of these new updates came straight out of the blue and had no demand backing them up, thus resulting in my poor feedback of the update. Sony does say they listen to consumers and in some cases that is true, like in in-game XMB situation, but this is not listening. This is releasing an update that was pulled out the ass with features nobody expected, or wanted for that matter.

Although, the whole update isn't to complain about. I love the new status bar at the top right of the screen. Before I could leave my console and have no idea if I had gotten any messages or not, but with the new status bar, it's easy to see instead of have to check your inbox everytime. The "What's New" section under the XMB is also a nice addition, showing the latest on the PlayStation Store and the latest in PlayStation. Also, descriptions have been added to each option under settings so you know what you're getting into before you click whatever option you're clicking. It makes it easier for newer users to understand what they're doing, so it's a good addition in my book.

Even those good additions doesn't make this a "major update", though. Other than that... well refer to the above.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 10:54:36 AM »
support for 'Premium Avatars' which you can purchase off the PlayStation Store

I've looked for this but I still can't find it.   :-\

a "What's New" section replacing the information board with the latest in PlayStation

This is probably my most hated change.  I liked the original Info Board, which gave you a nice chronological list of items added to the PS Store.  That way you always know if you missed something.  The new "What's New" feature is more like the XBL Marketplace "windows".

The newly redesigned friends list is hardly a redesign at all. If anything, it complicates the friends list

I couldn't agree more.  They increased the size of the friendlist, which is good.  But they box in each individial entry, almost like they are going out of their way to resemble the Xbox friendlist.

no trophy information is displayed for each friend without going to their profiles.

This is because the Playstation Network is ... so ... slow.  If the friendlist displayed anything more than each friend's icon and name, it would take an hour to load.   ;D

Sony does say they listen to consumers and in some cases that is true, like in in-game XMB situation

What "in-game XMB situation" ?!?!?!?!?!?   >:(

1 out of 2 times I press the "guide" button, I get a big red "STOP" sign at the top/right corner of my screen.  That is very annoying.  The Xbox 360 let's you pull up your guide whenever you want to see friends, messages, achievements, whatever.  You can't even listen to your own music while playing a game, which is something I do often when playing Xbox 360.  

I love the new status bar at the top right of the screen. Before I could leave my console and have no idea if I had gotten any messages or not, but with the new status bar, it's easy to see instead of have to check your inbox everytime.

Another attempt to mimic the Xbox 360 dashboard.  It seems that all of the "improvements" made to the PS3 are actually an attempt to turn the PS3 into the Xbox 360.  I cannot explain how amused that makes me.   :D

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads