Author Topic: Star Trek The Video Game  (Read 920 times)

Offline donnieoneshot

• Children of the night. What music they make.
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: donnieoneshot
  • XBL: donnieoneshot
Star Trek The Video Game
« on: December 21, 2012, 06:15:23 AM »
We've gotten the official word that the Star Trek The Video Game is finally on its way and will officialy be released on April 23, 2013 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. Below, you'll also find the cover art for the game along with a few screenshots from the title and a look at the pre-order incentives. You can see even more epic screenshots from the game by visiting the official website.

Set in the new canon of award-winng director and producer JJ Abrams' Star Trek (2009) reboot, this epic action adventure features an original storyline and provides immersive co-op gameplay featuring Kirk and Spock.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llDu7HdJu3Y" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llDu7HdJu3Y</a>

[/url]

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
Re: Star Trek The Video Game
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 10:33:34 AM »
Developed by Digital Extremes, which has historically been a port developer.  But they did lead Dark Sector and The Darkness II, both respectable games.

As most people are, I'm skeptical of movie tie-in games, but it may not be horrible.  It kind of looks like Mass Effect, so there's that.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvnx4eZ4Jw8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvnx4eZ4Jw8</a>

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 04:48:59 AM »

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 12:33:27 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH4mCnxMIvk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH4mCnxMIvk</a>

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 06:19:43 AM »
J.J. Abrams "Emotionally Hurt" by Star Trek Game

Star Trek director J.J. Abrams says that he was emotionally hurt by the poor quality of Star Trek: The Video Game, and that it arguably damaged the reputation of his latest movie, Star Trek Into Darkness.

Speaking at the DVD launch party for the film, Abrams revealed his disappointment at the critically mauled game and revealed that his team actually dropped their involvement with the project when they realised it wasn’t working out.

“The last game, which was obviously a big disappointment to me, was something that we were actually involved in from the very beginning and then we sort of realised that it was not going in a place where we were going to get what we wanted, so we dropped out and they continued to do it despite... y’know,” said Abrams.

“To me the video game could have been something that actually really benefitted the series and was an exciting, fun game with great gameplay and instead it was not and was something that I think, for me emotionally it hurt, ‘cos we were working our asses off making the movie and then this game came out and it got, this isn’t even my opinion, it got universally panned and I think that it was something without question that didn’t help the movie and arguably hurt it.”

Despite this, however, Abrams feels that there is potential in video game and movie collaborations, if they’re done right.

“I think that, we all know is that anyone who loves video games and loves movies... very, very rarely does a movie based on a game, or a game based on a movie, really work. It usually ends up being something that everyone that goes to play feels like this was a marketing decision made by a room full of people that wanted to capitalise on a title. That’s no way to make a game and no way to make a movie.”

Referencing the director’s work with Valve in bringing Half-Life and Portal adaptations to the big screen, Abrams added, “The dream is - we’re working with Valve right now on a couple of projects - is to say okay, despite its existence as a game, despite its existence as a movie, what makes this great? And starting from scratch, let’s make this from the ground up great, regardless of what’s come before.

“And that’s me, whether it’s a video game or a book or a movie or a song. Anything that is based on something else, it needs to exist on its own terms. And a lot of times these seem to exist as an ancillary product, in which case it will suck.”

Offline donnieoneshot

• Children of the night. What music they make.
  • Last.fm: donnieoneshot
  • XBL: donnieoneshot
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 08:33:37 AM »
Well said Mr. Abrams
[/url]

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
  • Some people drink Pepsi, some people drink Coke...
    • Time Zone: GMT -07
  • PSN: ZeroEquals
  • Steam: ZeroEquals
  • XBL: ZeroEquals
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 12:30:17 PM »
It's probably been said before, but with established franchises like these, I don't even know why a game has to be "tied-in" with the release date of a film. Take the "Arkham" games for example. Those aren't tied into film release dates and much like the Star Trek franchise, Batman has a built in base of fans that will most likely go after a well thought out and well executed product, regardless of film-release schedules.

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads