Author Topic: sony testing the waters for a premium subscription  (Read 766 times)

Offline xnightcrawlerxx

sony testing the waters for a premium subscription
« on: December 19, 2009, 05:13:33 AM »
Kotaku reports that a survey from IPSOS Online Research has been sent out, gauging interest (again) in premium subscriptions to PSN. One of PSN's most-touted features has been its low price of free, so if Sony's thinking about asking for membership fees, it had better offer some extra goods, right?

Well, the survey hints at such goodies as hour-long trials for full PS3 titles, access to PSOne Classics and cross-game voice chat; the latter being a feature that PS3 gamers have been waiting on for decades but, if this survey is to be believed, would be exclusive to premium members. The survey also discusses the addition of Cloud Storage -- online space that allows users to store saved data, instead of housing it on their hard drive -- and Tokens. These Tokens would be a kind of added currency, which can then be used to redeem goods on PSN. But that's not it! It gets even crazier. The survey also adds member-exclusive programs into the mix, such as streaming Netflix without a disk and special Hulu support, as well as free access to Minis and premium themes.

The survey also details a few different subscription models, including a $69.99 yearly plan and several options for monthly fees. Hit up Kotaku for some supposed screen grabs from the survey detailing the subscription plans.

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
Re: sony testing the waters for a premium subscription
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 05:20:46 AM »
and slowly but surely the PS3 community would get shafted for more and more stuff that only premium members would get. Eventually paying members would get 'better' servers and then it'd just be like 360 where it's free to look, but touching costs!

I think that's great though, the money they'd make on the premium fees they can use for getting DLC, demos and other great stuff for the PS3 community.

The 360 is the other way around, i don't think Gold members get enough compared to Silvers. Although they are working more towards this with giving Goldies Sky, Last.fm and Fakebook. Deals of the Week and other goodies.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
Re: sony testing the waters for a premium subscription
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 09:45:44 AM »
hour-long trials for full PS3 titles
I guess this means Sony is going to launch a "Games on Demand" service, with 1-hour demos?  I guess that's good.  I wonder how long it will take people to crack the security on these "trials" to unlock the full game.

access to PSOne Classics

Now that is definitely a salespoint.  Unlimited PSOne classics on PSN would be worth the price of admission along, as long as you have a desire to go back and play the classics.

cross-game voice chat
meh - I don't voice chat on PSN.

Cloud Storage
Great idea in theory.  Horrible catastrophe in practice.  I'd hate to be working Customer Support when a server goes down or a customer loses their internet and can't play their games.  The PS3 alread has the most versatile storage options.

Tokens
There's no way these "tokens" could be used as universal PSN currency, for the same reasons XBL gamerscore can't ... hacks.  Perhaps tokens will function more like Ubi-points?

streaming Netflix without a disk
This is a must in the US.  I have the Netflix app disc for PS3 and it is not pleasant.  The menus are slow and clunky, everything takes forever to load, and the overall video quality is noticeably lower than the Xbox 360's integrated Netflix app.

special Hulu support
This would be another big salespoint, at least for territories that have Hulu access.  Although, it may be too little too late since there a several workaround options for bringing Hulu to your television.  I've been doing it for over a year.

free access to Minis and premium themes
Again - free games is a big draw for me.  I'd pay a yearly subscription fee for unlimited games.  Hell a lot of people already do for services like LoveFilm and GameFly.  I could do without the premium themes, but I'm sure a lot of people would love them.

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads